Bargain in 2010

knarf

Hi,

I am cruising in Nov of this year and would like to find a good deal on a cruise in the Caribbean(anywhere) in 2010 (Feb-March-April -May) Anyone see any thing that looks like a good one. Appreciate your help.

Frank

My observation about reasonable fares to the Caribbean is that they are lowest in January.

Last year I originally booked a 7 nighter in an inside on 24 Jan for this year on Dawn for $549 but eventually had to cancel (& pay a cancelation fee with my travel agency) since my daughter could not go. A month after canceling I saw a special for $299!!! (plus tax and gratuitites). It even had some on board credit with it! So I talked DH into going and booked the air.

On board I met two women escaping the cold of the midwest who got their fares for $150! How? They called their travel agent and asked her to find them a real deal. It was apparently a one day sale and they got in on it. This was only a week or so before sailing.

But you cannot count on those really cheap fares being there. Sometimes the ship is sold out.

And BTW the weather was almost perfect. There were a few misty showers in Tortola but otherwise it was sunny every day.

And buy your Future Cruise Credit while on board in November for that 2010 trip! Get $100 immediate on board credit and the remaining $150 of the $250 total price will hold that 2010 cruise with no additional funds outlaid until final payment.

Hi,

I am cruising in Nov of this year and would like to find a good deal on a cruise in the Caribbean(anywhere) in 2010 (Feb-March-April -May) Anyone see any thing that looks like a good one. Appreciate your help.

Frank

Good morning!

I've got a CC Group heading for the E. Caribbean on May 15, 2010.:D See the links in my signature for all the details. Hope you can make it!:cool:

Hi,

Frank

You will most likely not get any bargains from mid Feb until after Easter. That being said, the good promos will not start appearing for awhile yet. Heck we aren't 1/2 way through with this year.

Nita

But be careful with NCL future cruise credits. Unlike Princess, the NCL credits expire and you lose your money. This is of note if you choose cruises by itinerary rather than cruise line, as we do.

In fact we take quite a few cruises, and so end up on NCL at least once in most years -- will be on the Dawn in November -- but I will not buy a FCC because I object in principle to the fact that NCL will not refund your payment at expiration. After all, they have had the use of your deposit throughout the intervening period, and it has cost them nothing.

Bill

But be careful with NCL future cruise credits. Unlike Princess, the NCL credits expire and you lose your money. This is of note if you choose cruises by itinerary rather than cruise line, as we do.

In fact we take quite a few cruises, and so end up on NCL at least once in most years -- will be on the Dawn in November -- but I will not buy a FCC because I object in principle to the fact that NCL will not refund your payment at expiration. After all, they have had the use of your deposit throughout the intervening period, and it has cost them nothing.

Bill

You now have four years to use it...so with the amount of cruising you do I doubt you will lose it. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face....because it is such a popular incentive that I don't think your boycott on principle will effect anyone but you. I'm sure NCL has not noticed your silent objection. So go book another cruise!!!! :):)

You now have four years to use it...so with the amount of cruising you do I doubt you will lose it. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face....because it is such a popular incentive that I don't think your boycott on principle will effect anyone but you. I'm sure NCL has not noticed your silent objection. So go book another cruise!!!! :):)

Did they just very recently extend it to 4 years? We were on Dawn in January and they said they had extended it to 3 years. So I'm excited that they might have extended it further. What is the wording on the "contract"? Thanks

Your point is well taken, Cheryl. I do think, though, that a stand on principle every now and then is not necessarily such a bad thing, not for its effectiveness but for one's own character. In the scheme of things, taking some money from a few travelers, who for one reason or another (health, mental health, social disruption, etc) do not get to take a future NCL cruise, is not a very big deal. But neither is the FCC offer I will miss.

Besides, how often do I get to be a hero in my own eyes!

Bill

Did they just very recently extend it to 4 years? We were on Dawn in January and they said they had extended it to 3 years. So I'm excited that they might have extended it further. What is the wording on the "contract"? Thanks

Yes they did. We just got back last Sunday and purchased the future cruise credit. 4 years to book and sail.

And buy your Future Cruise Credit while on board in November for that 2010 trip! Get $100 immediate on board credit and the remaining $150 of the $250 total price will hold that 2010 cruise with no additional funds outlaid until final payment.

I thought with the FCC, you pay $250, which a $250, not $150, deposit will reserve your future cruise. You also get a free $100 OBC immediately. Normally, a $500 deposit is required when booking. Is this correct?

I thought with the FCC, you pay $250, which a $250, not $150, deposit will reserve your future cruise. You also get a free $100 OBC immediately. Normally, a $500 deposit is required when booking. Is this correct?

OK, here's the scoop: While on board, pay $250 for a future deposit. You get a $100 OBC. So, net is $150. And, this is all that is required. If the normal deposit is $500, the $250 certificate is all you need...

OK, here's the scoop: While on board, pay $250 for a future deposit. You get a $100 OBC. So, net is $150. And, this is all that is required. If the normal deposit is $500, the $250 certificate is all you need...

Respectully, 2Cruise4Ever, you are partially wrong, and it is an important part: Yes, this "Compass Reward" coupon costs you $250; Yes, you get an immediate $100 OBC. Yes, the coupon is all you need to use for your down payment for your next cruise (which, for the 10 day cruise I was just pricing out, would be $800). But no, it does NOT apply $150 to that cruise; it applies $250. In other words, they are "giving" you $100 in extra value, plus the extra value of not having to put as much money up front at the time of booking, because they get something in return: your commitment to cruise with NCL again, soon.

And by soon, I mean within 30 months from the day you buy the coupon. That's how long you have until the Compass Rewards coupon expires worthless. That's a fairly reasonable amount of time, but I wish they have made it 36 or 42 months, since that's about as often as I can (or should) afford to cruise right now.

To maximize your usage window, buy your Compass Reward toward the end of your cruise. You never know when that extra few days might come in handy.

Bill

Actually, it cost them $100 the day you made the choice.

yes, that's correct. The whole $250 you paid acts as your deposit and the $100 immediate obc is the freebie. Thanks for the correction.

Respectully, 2Cruise4Ever, you are partially wrong, and it is an important part: Yes, this "Compass Reward" coupon costs you $250; Yes, you get an immediate $100 OBC. Yes, the coupon is all you need to use for your down payment for your next cruise (which, for the 10 day cruise I was just pricing out, would be $800). But no, it does NOT apply $150 to that cruise; it applies $250. In other words, they are "giving" you $100 in extra value, plus the extra value of not having to put as much money up front at the time of booking, because they get something in return: your commitment to cruise with NCL again, soon.

And by soon, I mean within 30 months from the day you buy the coupon. That's how long you have until the Compass Rewards coupon expires worthless. That's a fairly reasonable amount of time, but I wish they have made it 36 or 42 months, since that's about as often as I can (or should) afford to cruise right now.

To maximize your usage window, buy your Compass Reward toward the end of your cruise. You never know when that extra few days might come in handy.

No, no I meant net cost to you (me), the consumer is $150, not that $150 goes to the cruise booked. $250 goes to the cruise booked. And, the way we were told (and is stated in the receipt letter) is that we have 48 months to book and sail. It is no longer 30 months to book.

Your point is well taken, Cheryl. I do think, though, that a stand on principle every now and then is not necessarily such a bad thing, not for its effectiveness but for one's own character. In the scheme of things, taking some money from a few travelers, who for one reason or another (health, mental health, social disruption, etc) do not get to take a future NCL cruise, is not a very big deal. But neither is the FCC offer I will miss.

Besides, how often do I get to be a hero in my own eyes!

Bill

Good for you!!!! I wasn't trying to discourage you:):) And it just recently went up to four years...I believe there are threads about it....

Hi,

Frank

Frank

Right in prime spring break time? Then the ships head to Alaska or Europe. IMO the deals are not going to start coming, if at all, until much later in the fall and we see how much the economy improves.

Archived