Alaska was awesome.... I wanna go back!

SoCal09

We went on the Statendam in May from Seward to Vancouver and I had such a great experience. The views were incredible... sometimes I couldn't believe my eyes. The new binoculars I took were perfect... don't go without good glasses, it makes the trip so much better! I met some really nice people... lots of them from Vancouver... what a great city... so beautiful. Well, it's summer here in Southern California....pool weather, so I'm not complaining but I want to go back to Alaska someday soon... I look at the pics all the time... It changed my life in alot of ways...

Have great fun in Alaska!

SoCal09 I agree! We just got back yesterday after a cruise and then a 9 day land RV trip. Words can not even begin to describe the beauty of Alaska! I was so sad to leave and I know I will be returning one day!

Oh, I so agree! Alaska was life changing. I'm trying to round up some friends to go back again next year. After seeing 5 (yes 5!!!) grizzlies on the shore at Glacier Bay, having a bear encounter in Denali, seeing great calving at Margerie Glacier and a whale surfacing right underneath our balcony on the Island Princess I definately want to see more.

Socal09, summer has definately hit here in Santa Clarita. Over 100 all week long. Yuk!

I'm remembering a post from another cruiser when we were "researching" our first Alaska cruise in 2007, who said she realized on her first day out that she wouldn't stress over doing everything, because she knew she would be going back. With the number of people on these boards who have sailed there 10, 15 and even 20+ times, it's clearly addictive! (btw, we're booked on our 2nd Alaska cruise this September! :D)

We went on the Statendam in May from Seward to Vancouver and I had such a great experience. The views were incredible... sometimes I couldn't believe my eyes. The new binoculars I took were perfect... don't go without good glasses, it makes the trip so much better! I met some really nice people... lots of them from Vancouver... what a great city... so beautiful. Well, it's summer here in Southern California....pool weather, so I'm not complaining but I want to go back to Alaska someday soon... I look at the pics all the time... It changed my life in alot of ways...

If you went to Skagway, would you mind sharing what you did there?

I keep hearing so many wonderful things about Alaska...problem is that I'm all the way over here in Florida. :( It's not a quick drive like any of the 5 ports I have here.

If I do perhaps book an Alaskan cruise I have a few questions:

Say the cruise leaves from Seattle and ends in Vancouver, we would fly home out of Vancouver right? We wouldn't need to transfer back to Seattle for any reason would we? What is the difference between starting from Seattle and ending in Vancouver, or vice versa?

Oh, I so agree! Alaska was life changing. I'm trying to round up some friends to go back again next year. After seeing 5 (yes 5!!!) grizzlies on the shore at Glacier Bay, having a bear encounter in Denali, seeing great calving at Margerie Glacier and a whale surfacing right underneath our balcony on the Island Princess I definately want to see more.

Socal09, summer has definately hit here in Santa Clarita. Over 100 all week long. Yuk!

How did you like the Island Princess? Is there any special viewing places onboard that you would suggest? We sail on Aug. 3 and then have an 8 day land tour. Are there any tours your would say were better than average? Also, how formal were the dinners at night as far as dress goes?

Thanks for any help you can give us. It sounds like you had a wonderful experience. We have never been to Alaska so looking forward to it after reading so many good reviews.

I don't know of any lines that start in Seattle and end in Vancouver. They either start in Seattle and return to Seattle or they start in Vancouver and end in Vancouver. They also may begin in Seattle or Vancouver and end in Whittier or Seward (or the reverse).

I keep hearing so many wonderful things about Alaska...problem is that I'm all the way over here in Florida. :( It's not a quick drive like any of the 5 ports I have here.

If I do perhaps book an Alaskan cruise I have a few questions:

Say the cruise leaves from Seattle and ends in Vancouver, we would fly home out of Vancouver right? We wouldn't need to transfer back to Seattle for any reason would we? What is the difference between starting from Seattle and ending in Vancouver, or vice versa?

Hello fellow Floridian:)I will try to help with some of your questions.

I am going to Alaska for the 3rd time in 3 years this September:D

First time I went was May 2006, 2nd time was Sept 2008 and now

going again ( I LOVE IT).

There are quite a few different itineraries to choose from. Seatte-Seattle,

Vancouver-Vancouver are the 2 most well known to most folks.

But there are also (example).....Seward to Vancouver which is

southbound and Vancouver up to Seward which would be Northbound.

And there is also the last cruises of each season which I did one of

those last year.

We left from Vancouver and ended in Seattle. I flew to Seattle a day

ahead and stayed there overnight. Amtrak offers a wonderful ride up

to Vancouver everyday at 7:40am. Gets up to Vancouver about 11:30am.

If you do a search on the "West Coast Forum" you will find tons of

information about it.

After the season ends most ships are going to Hawaii or the Mexican

Riveria so the cruiseline has to get that ship to its new port of embarkation.

(Most of the time its less money:D) because it is really called a repositioning

cruise and they are usually better on the budget:). I ended up flying home

from Seattle which was easy!

Hope this helps you a bit!:)

Oh, this time I am sailing Vancouver-Vancouver. I am flying in and out of

Seattle. Going a day early and taking the train again up to Vancouver. Then

at the end of the cruise there is a company called "QuickCoach" and they

offer rides from the peir all the way to Seatac. So, I am using them for my

transportation when the cruise is over. (not thinking about that yet though LOL).

Cruzzers - Island and Coral have wonderful public viewing areas spanning the aft of the ship on the Baja, Carib and Dolphin decks (the Carib is great - nice lounge chairs and is partially covered). There are also doors leading to an open viewing area at the bow of the ship on the Carib deck (and either Dolphin or Baja - I forget). We found on the Coral - Promenade Deck-starboard side by the # 7 lifeboats, there is a down-draft venting warm air on some of the lounge chairs that made for more comfy viewing on cooler days.

I haven't checked Carnival yet, only glanced at Royal Caribbean but there is where I saw Seattle-Vancouver or Vancouver-Seattle. Thanks for the info guys!!! Hubby wants to go to Alaska really bad, so I'm up for the opposite scenery than what we're used too. Lol!! I just don't know when that'll be since we have one booked for this coming February and then we want to start a family. Maybe for our 10 year anniversary or something. :p

it is awesome isnt it ;). i will be going back for my 4th cruise to alaska next may. and i plan on going more after that. i am not tired of doing the same itinerary or being on the same ship each time. some enjoy the warmer cruises but i am a glacier/mt girl. please make plans too go back as soon as you can since you know how much you liked it and daydream about it. new pix of the cruise will be a nice addition to your photo-album.

I haven't checked Carnival yet, only glanced at Royal Caribbean but there is where I saw Seattle-Vancouver or Vancouver-Seattle. Thanks for the info guys!!! Hubby wants to go to Alaska really bad, so I'm up for the opposite scenery than what we're used too. Lol!! I just don't know when that'll be since we have one booked for this coming February and then we want to start a family. Maybe for our 10 year anniversary or something. :p

Just remember, Alasksa is seasonal;) the ships go from late April

through Mid September.

Cruzzers,

We absolutely loved our experience on the Island Princess. The atmosphere, the passengers, the crew, the dining and the decor were all top notch. We wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Island or the Coral again.

As far as viewing areas go, we hung out on both the Baja and the Caribe forward "secret" decks. Absolutely, the best spots on the ship. (Dolphin also had a forward deck). The view from our Aloha starboard side balcony wasn't bad either.

For the formal nights, most passengers dressed up nicely. We did see a couple of people in jeans in the dining rooms though. Personally, I felt it was respectful to the crew to dress up. After all the trouble they go through for us, it was the least we could do for them.

We actually didn't take any extensive tours other than a jeep trip into the Yukon which was great.

This was also our first time to AK. It certainly won't be our last (if I have anything to do with it). I already have my excursions picked out for the next trip!

Archived