Pre-Book Specialty Restaurant Packages

derekos

As said above by a few posters, this seems to be anti-freestyle. People have to make advance planning and then STICK to it.

Okay, the next person says, you do not have to follow this. It is your choice. Sounds good.

Meanwhile, more and more people book the advance stuff. Then more and more people figure if they want the specialty, they ARE FORCED into booking in advance if they want to get in.

So, you know have a restaurant full of folks that prefer to do something different tonight, but weeks or months ago they felt forced into booking the specialty restaurant.

Who is left feeling good?

Personally, earlier tonight, our family and gram wanted to go out to dinner. After 30 minutes, nobody could make a choice. So, if this has ever happened in your family, please tell me how you can decide on where to eat months in advance????

I think that it sounds like you pay for the restaurant package in advance and book reservations--but you confirm them once on the ship. If that is the case, then I think that this a great idea--especially if there is a discount for purchasing the package and if I can pay that off before I even leave for the cruise.

If you book your 5 reservations in advance, I wonder if there will be any play during the week to shift things around ,with ample notice, if something comes up. I usually stick to my reservations but often add other guests to a reservation with people we meet in Roll Calls.

Overall, I think it sounds like a nice plan.

We don’t know the details but for now it sounds good to me.

A while back, we were allowed to book specialty restaurants for the whole week and it’s what I would do as soon as I boarded. Then, they said it was only one day in advance. Guess what, I went to the Specialty Restaurants only the first night, and went to the dining room all other nights. I just didn’t think about going to the reservation desk or I was too busy to do so. I saved money, which is good for me :) but not for NCL.

I thought they did away with this booking the whole week ahead of time since some people complained they couldn't get a reservation later in the week. Now, also due to the increased cost of restaurants, we see that the restaurants are far from full.

Our next cruise is 14-nights. I definitely plan in going to Specialty restaurants. I would probably buy the 3-restaurant package and add an extra restaurant or two during the cruise. Or I might choose to go for the 5-restaurant package so I know everything is taken care of before I board.

As said above by a few posters, this seems to be anti-freestyle. People have to make advance planning and then STICK to it.

Okay, the next person says, you do not have to follow this. It is your choice. Sounds good.

Meanwhile, more and more people book the advance stuff. Then more and more people figure if they want the specialty, they ARE FORCED into booking in advance if they want to get in.

So, you know have a restaurant full of folks that prefer to do something different tonight, but weeks or months ago they felt forced into booking the specialty restaurant.

Who is left feeling good?

Personally, earlier tonight, our family and gram wanted to go out to dinner. After 30 minutes, nobody could make a choice. So, if this has ever happened in your family, please tell me how you can decide on where to eat months in advance????

I don't see it as anti-freestyle. I mean, you're still not locked into dining at the same table with the same group of people/strangers at the same time in the same dining room as you would be with traditional dining.

I speculate that it will likely work similarly to the Romance Package where you pay in advance for the particular plan for $X of savings over booking on board and then you'll make your reservations when on board like always. I seriously doubt they'll allow reservations prior to boarding (other than what they allow now.) I also think they'll be fairly specific in which restaurants can be chosen and how often.

It's basically a marketing tool to encourage people to pay ahead in order to save a few bucks for themselves and therefore increase traffic/revenues in the specialty restaurants. I think it's a good thing and depending on the terms, I can definitely see us taking advantage. I can also see where some wouldn't and still I don't think that the specialty restaurants are going to be busting at the seams forcing everyone to book ahead or miss out.

With regards to having a large group that won't make up their minds as to where they want to go, it works like this in my house; brief discussion then majority rules. If there's too much waffling, MOM RULES:D. Then, it's join in or stay home.

Starting in a couple of weeks your clients will be able to pre-book their on-board dinner reservations. And, they’ll save money by doing so. We will be offering three different Freestyle dining packages for your clients to choose from – ranging in price from $45 per person for the Silver Package (choice of three different restaurants) to $70 for the Platinum package (choice of five different restaurants). All they’ll need to do is stop by the restaurant reservation desk at the beginning of their cruise to confirm their reservations and then they can relax, knowing that they have guaranteed the restaurants and dining times of their choice. I think you’ll agree that being able to pre-book one of these packages will give your clients that extra freedom on board that they’re asking for.

The way I read it, you "pre-book" your dinner reservations, not just pre-pay and "confirm" them once on board, not make them.

So by paying $45 for 3 reservations, you would get to book them before boarding?

It was jut announced on July 2, and we were told that maybe in a couple of weeks it would be available. That would put it arouns July 16? Of course, our cruise on the Dawn is July 19.....

Anything new or definite on this anyone?

What a GREAT concept!

Freestyle = Pre-Planning

So instead of eating where I want, when I want, I can plan every aspect of my cruise and have a schedule.

WAIT! Isn't Freestyle supposed to be a cruise without a schedule?

What if I get busy enjoying doing nothing? Do I lose my scheduled reservation? Am I now out of luck with the cash I pre-paid for the pre-planned dinning?

Wow, people from NJ are loud, even in print.;) I think freestyle means free to do it your way. So, those that like to plan, they get to plan, those that don't wanna, don't have to.

"Starting in a couple of weeks passengers will be able to pre-book their on-board dinner reservations. And, they’ll save money by doing so. We will be offering three different Freestyle dining packages for your clients to choose from – ranging in price from $45 per person for the Silver Package (choice of three different restaurants) to $70 for the Platinum package (choice of five different restaurants). All they’ll need to do is stop by the restaurant reservation desk at the beginning of their cruise to confirm their reservations and then they can relax, knowing that they have guaranteed the restaurants and dining times of their choice. I think you’ll agree that being able to pre-book one of these packages will give your clients that extra freedom on board that they’re asking for."

(I would think that Cagney's and Teppanyaki are not in the Silver Package.)

(I would think that Cagney's and Teppanyaki are not in the Silver Package.)

And that would kill the program for me. I also suppose that the ships will discontinue any 2/1 nights during port stops. We have enjoyed those on our European trips in the past. Of course this is all speculation at this point...

Thought i would share the following info.

More for us to plan and book before we go.

Specialty Restaurant Packages

July 02, 2009 | COMMENTS (0)

Andy Stuart:

I wanted to give you a sneak peek at an exciting new program we’re getting ready to launch. This is something that passengers have been requesting, and that we’ve been considering for quite some time.

Starting in a couple of weeks your clients will be able to pre-book their on-board dinner reservations. And, they’ll save money by doing so. We will be offering three different Freestyle dining packages for your clients to choose from – ranging in price from $45 per person for the Silver Package (choice of three different restaurants) to $70 for the Platinum package (choice of five different restaurants). All they’ll need to do is stop by the restaurant reservation desk at the beginning of their cruise to confirm their reservations and then they can relax, knowing that they have guaranteed the restaurants and dining times of their choice. I think you’ll agree that being able to pre-book one of these packages will give your clients that extra freedom on board that they’re asking for.

More details will follow, but I wanted to share this news with you in advance. I hope you’ll take advantage of what should be a great selling tool – your clients are sure to thank you for the insider’s tip.

Finally, I would like to wish all of our Canadian students a belated Happy Canada Day! And, to all of our US Students – Happy July 4th!

Speak soon.

Andy

Thanks for the information Andy! I plan to look into this further for my upcoming cruise.

Aside from the excerpt of the letter from Andy that I posted a few days ago, there is this too:

"There will be 3 packages, Silver, Gold and Platinum.

Using the Silver as an example..........3 restaurants at $45.00.........You will be able to go to Cagneys once..........Teppanyaki once and then whatever...........Le Bistro, etc............"

It does sound like a good deal.

Aside from the excerpt of the letter from Andy that I posted a few days ago, there is this too:

"There will be 3 packages, Silver, Gold and Platinum.

Using the Silver as an example..........3 restaurants at $45.00.........You will be able to go to Cagneys once..........Teppanyaki once and then whatever...........Le Bistro, etc............"

It does sound like a good deal.

I am surprised. I didn't think both Cagney's and Teppanyaki would be available in the Silver package...

This will be an efficiency move for NCL. They won't know how many people will book while on board, but they'll get an idea of a large number who book ahead of time.

Other cruise lines have let passengers do this. As I recall, the time frame was further out for past passengers.

If you know what excursions you'll be taking and what time they end, how strenuous they will be etc. you can make this decision for which nights, depending on the activities etc. ahead of time.

Will be interesting to know if you can switch days and times once on board, though, in case you change any of the excursions/activities.

This will be an efficiency move for NCL. They won't know how many people will book while on board, but they'll get an idea of a large number who book ahead of time.

Other cruise lines have let passengers do this. As I recall, the time frame was further out for past passengers.

If you know what excursions you'll be taking and what time they end, how strenuous they will be etc. you can make this decision for which nights, depending on the activities etc. ahead of time.

Will be interesting to know if you can switch days and times once on board, though, in case you change any of the excursions/activities.

The way I read/understood it was that you still don't make the reservations until you're on board. You're just 'guaranteed' x number of reservations according to the package you've paid for. Obviously I can't back that up with facts since nobody has any yet, it's just how I interpreted the description. :)

i guess we'll find out soon whether it's confirm or reconfirm while on board. Like I say,my only experience with this was on another line, and they did confirm on line ahead of time. Then on board you reconfirmed to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit confused? Can we pick which 3 specialty restaurants we want (including Tepp. and Cagneys & Le Bistro) in the silver package? Can we decide once on board when we might want to go to each or do we need to decide all three at once? Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit confused? Can we pick which 3 specialty restaurants we want (including Tepp. and Cagneys & Le Bistro) in the silver package? Can we decide once on board when we might want to go to each or do we need to decide all three at once? Thanks in advance.

We are all still waiting on the details for this proposal as nothing has been posted on the NCL web site yet, nor is there information with our personal edoc information for our upcoming December cruise. Our TA only has the preliminary information from a July 2 email, so far. There has been copious discussion here in this thread about the program, much of it sheer speculation.

What a GREAT concept!

Freestyle = Pre-Planning

So instead of eating where I want, when I want, I can plan every aspect of my cruise and have a schedule.

WAIT! Isn't Freestyle supposed to be a cruise without a schedule?

What if I get busy enjoying doing nothing? Do I lose my scheduled reservation? Am I now out of luck with the cash I pre-paid for the pre-planned dinning?

As I see it, as long as this new "pre planning" does not take up all the reservations there by forcing people to buy these packages just to avoid not being able to have this option.....then who cares if they roll out this new plan. That said, you don't have to choose it! It's still your choice to do as you please.

My only concern is that it will use up all the available reservations making it very difficult to get one. I also do not see them giving refunds if you don't show up. NCL will make out with this deal....considering there will most definitely be some who will end up not honoring their reservation.

I just booked my reservation on the Pearl for February and when I spoke to a NCL rep about prebooking for the specialty restaurants, she said NO, that you can only do it once on board...

So, what's up with this?

Archived