No Naturalists?

TiogaCruiser

Just got back from Volendam yesterday and I also was disappointed there was no Naturalist. After reading a few posts it sounds like this was the case on some of the other ships as well. Last year we had Jane Lind, representing the Native American Center in Anchorage and her presentations were great. As far as I am aware, the only Native Interpretor we had was a Hoonah lady at Glacier Bay who came on board with the rangers. We did have a "guide" who did presentations on the ports where we were going along with some of the presentations (cultures of the native peoples, Fur, Fins, Etc. on animals) that Jane did last year.

So, has HAL dropped the Naturalist? Or are they only for Gulf Crossing itineraries, or on some ships?

This is funny! Every time I read about natualists, I think of skinny dipping. Isn't there some national convention coming up about that? I've lost track but there's a whole bunch of people who are so into it. I'm not.

If there is anyone who really does not know-

Naturist - a person who practices nudity for reasons of health or religion.

Naturalist - A person who specializes in natural history, especially in the study of plants and animals in their natural surroundings.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/naturist

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/naturalist

I found a couple other threads for toher ships mentioning the lack of naturalists (nature guides not nudies).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=998524&highlight=naturalist

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=993847&highlight=naturalist

HAL's website used to mention having naturalists onboard for the AK cruises but I noticed that page isn't there anymore. Maybe they removed it due to passenger complaints.

Dee-

Thanks for the posts- (I had seen them before posting and it does seem at least SOME ships at least have one........ )

I was just wondering if the program is officially cancelled, or targeted to a different set of ships or types or Alaskan destinations. Anyone know?

Before I sign on for a future cruise I will take this into consideration.

Just one more service cut, that, along with others are giving people who really like to cruise on HAL reason to look elsewhere for cruises.

The naturalists on board really enhanced HAL's Alaska itineraries and made its Alaska cruises among, if not the, best available.

Why is Seattle doing this!!??? It is insane!

Apparently, HAL initiated the "travel guides" program on "the majority of" Alaska cruises last year, and they are continuing the program this year as well. The guides are native Alaskans. Here's a description.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=554

If you read this post from CC member "Florida Ad Guy", who was kind enough to scan his daily programs from his recent Zaandam Alaska cruise for us, there was a "travel guide" on his cruise who presented talks on the history, geology, wildlife, and native cultures of Alaska:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19795045&postcount=1

Why is Seattle doing this!!??? It is insane!
Why? For the same reason that onboard lecturers have been dropped from the shorter itineraries, the social hosts (dance hosts) are only onboard for cruises, I believe, of 21 days or longer, and other little niceties are no longer in evidence on a lot of cruises. $$$$$.

You can't have the prices of cruises dropping to rock bottom and then still provide all of the amenities that were provided in the past. HAL has to make a profit on each cruise, and if prices have to be slashed, then expenses have to be slashed too. Those naturalists have to be paid, they have to be given a cabin that could be sold no matter how cheap. The naturalists are an expense that can easily be slashed without impacting the basic cruise experience.

Sure the naturalists were nice, but would you be willing to pay an additional $100 for your cruise in order to have one? Many people wouldn't.

Blue skies ...

--rita

. . . You can't have the prices of cruises dropping to rock bottom and then still provide all of the amenities that were provided in the past. HAL has to make a profit on each cruise, and if prices have to be slashed, then expenses have to be slashed too. . . .

Well said, Rita.

Woody

Sure the naturalists were nice, but would you be willing to pay an additional $100 for your cruise in order to have one? Many people wouldn't.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Figure 1000 to 2000 people per ship. If each person pays an additional $2 to $4 per cruise, depending on the size of the ship, that would raise about $2000. That might be enough to cover a naturalist. And yes, I would be willing to pay an extra $2 to $4 per cruise to have high quality lectures. -Emile

I was one of those that complained last year about the false information being given on board.

We were sailing the northern tip of Vancouver Island past Alert Bay when he said notice the Bald Eagles off our port side. For those that have not taken their photos yet this is the last place you will see them. There are none south of here. What the heck is that that he is saying he has no idea does he I was saying to my kids.

For those people not in the know there are some of the biggest populations of Eagles in the Vancouver area and I am including Squamish in this. There is a annual Eagle count done yearly where thousands of them come to Brackendale just north of Squamish to feed on Salmon spawning.

One also just has to visit Delta just south of Vancouver and you will see hundreds of them in the winter months. I can take you to area's where you can get within 100 feet of a Eagles Nest with young in it.

Oh yes our Naturalist was from New Zealand so I am not sure how much he really knew about the area and how much he tried to read about the area and pretend he knew.

He also didn't know much about Robson Bight and the Killer Whales there.

No wonder they are gone.

Phil

Figure 1000 to 2000 people per ship. If each person pays an additional $2 to $4 per cruise, depending on the size of the ship, that would raise about $2000. That might be enough to cover a naturalist. And yes, I would be willing to pay an extra $2 to $4 per cruise to have high quality lectures. -Emile
A price increase of $2 to $4 would bring lowest prices to $701 or $703. You can't sell cruises for that price! Prices have to end with 99! You are messing with the basic fabric of universe with any such recommendation.

I'm surprised that HAL has gotten rid of Naturalists on board for the Alaska cruises. I sailed with Carnival (Spirit) to Alaska last year and we had a very good Naturalist on board and I believe they have one again this year (Dirk, the fellow who was the Naturalist on the Splendor South American repositioning cruise this past winter).

A good knowledgeable Naturalist is a must for an Alaska cruise, imo.

Archived