Free WiFi on Carnival

Do you think Carnival would attract more customers with free WiFi?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Carnival would attract more customers with free WiFi?

• Yes, I think free WiFi on Carnival would attract more customers
    • No, I think most people still don't mind paying for WiFi, so it would not attract more customers
    • What's WiFi?

When WiFi first appeared at places like Starbucks, McDonalds, and the big hotel chains, they charged their guests for the privilege to access the internet over their networks. Now these companies have found that offering WiFi access for free is a major selling point, and attracts tons of new customers. Carnival is one of the few companies that offers WiFi access to it's customers. Do you think Carnival would attract more customers if they offered WiFi access on board for free?

I think it would be wildly popular, unfortunately, Im sure it will never happen because having to bounce off a satelitte isnt that cheap, compared to providing it on land.

Also, Carnival does NOT provide its own wifi, they hire it out to a 3rd party as I was told when I said they should have discounted internet when I was on Conquest and Ike was hitting our cars and wiped them out, that we should have been given help to change airlines and rent cars from New Orleans and they said impossible, we have no control over it because Carnival does NOT provide this service, another company does.

If/when broadband services with T1 level or higher throughput become available at sea it might be a worthwhile endeavor. With the existing service it would be a fool's errand. I can see the woman from the uprising video leading outraged laptop users in a demand for an on board credit for the inability of masses to access the pitifully slow network.

As the system exists now I would say no, making it free would be an unwise decision.

I do believe though that market demands could change that. If CCL sees an opportunity to make more $$$, then they will find a way (assuming they are wise enough to jump on it).

Princess used to give it's elite unlimited internet, and had to change it to $100 package. People were abusing it and posting CC threads "live from the Princess XXXX" and it was costing them too much to provide unlimited internet. As long as the costs are what they are, you are dreaming that they will provide it free and unlimited from a ship with current technology, and as long as they have to measure it, then they will limit it.

I would love to see something like Princess or what Celebrity is now adding that you get $100 or 90 minutes a cruise free for folks who have cruised a certain # of cruises .... to reward you for loyalty. It would be a great perk.

I do believe though that market demands could change that. If CCL sees an opportunity to make more $$$, then they will find a way (assuming they are wise enough to jump on it).

If I asked you would you rather have unlimited wifi, or $50 off the price of your cruise .... which would you pick. .... let's put this in terms of how much it would cost Carnival .... remember they are hiring this out to a 3rd party to provide right now.

If I asked you would you rather have unlimited wifi, or $50 off the price of your cruise .... which would you pick. .... let's put this in terms of how much it would cost Carnival .... remember they are hiring this out to a 3rd party to provide right now.

I would take the 50. I have a rule: no phone or internet usage for me on a cruise.

When WiFi first appeared at places like Starbucks, McDonalds, and the big hotel chains, they charged their guests for the privilege to access the internet over their networks. Now these companies have found that offering WiFi access for free is a major selling point, and attracts tons of new customers. Carnival is one of the few companies that offers WiFi access to it's customers. Do you think Carnival would attract more customers if they offered WiFi access on board for free?

No.

A cruise ship is not a coffee shop.....

A cruise company is looking for profitability.

Why folks drag a computer along is a mystery to me anyway....but, then again, I don't understand the cell phone or bottled water thingie either.

I'm "getting away" from it all...would never consider bringing "it" all with me.

The WiFi available to cruise ships has limited bandwidth since it's a single connection to a satellite.

No land lines at sea to connect to bigger hubs like at a McDonalds or Starbucks.

While it would be neat to surf the internet, alone in our rooms while we're on vacation on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean somewhere... I don't think technology would allow a free link to the world wide web on a cruise ship at this time. Already, at the cyber-cafes on ships, connectivity to the internet is extremely slow at peak times.

While I'd love to research prices on electronics to purchase at Boolchand's in St. Thomas... I know it's not feasible.

Additionally, it's another thing for a cruise line to nickel and dime us to death on... Why in the world would they change that?

It will never happen due to the cost. Sat. is very expensive to run and maintain. Starbucks and MCD offer free wi-fi to attract customers, but on a ship you are the ships captive audience. For them, there is no reason to offer it.

i would like the opportunity to jump on IF I had time, but in reality, there's just too much to do on the ship, I'd maybe get on to post a couple pics a day or to send an email home to family, but that would be it. So, while it would be a novelty, it wouldn't be a big time benefit.

PLease - NO - to free internet. I do not want a cruise to turn into an office on the water with everyone clicking away on their laptop.

I understand where you're coming from. Sixgun8 said,

"i would like the opportunity to jump on IF I had time, but in reality, there's just too much to do on the ship, I'd maybe get on to post a couple pics a day or to send an email home to family, but that would be it. So, while it would be a novelty, it wouldn't be a big time benefit."

Maybe if they offered free access, but limited the number of online minutes. That way you wouldn't have a ship full of mouse potatoes

I agree with getting away from it all. Unfortunately right now I have to have some limited contact with my company while I am away.

I put on my comment card again last week that Carnival should give Platinum members some WiFi time. Not unlimited but they could offer 30 minutes for a 3/4/5 day and 60 minutes for a 7 day as a Platinum perk.

And a side note, last week Carnival is giving out picture frames instead of the thermos for gifts.

IMO it would be a selling point to attract the younger more tech savvy portion of the population to cruise travel. Airlines are now beginning to offer WiFi also. It's coming, it's only a matter of time.

:confused:

To OP,

Are you taking a poll to see how others feel about this? Or are you trying to argue a point?

My thoughts,

No, I don't want free wifi service. That means the total cost of my cruise goes up, to pay for that service. Why do you think a Starbucks coffee is $5 when in reality it only costs $0.50 to make. Someone has to pay for the ambience and the free wifi.

No I'm not trying to argue, just curious on everyone's opinion.

As far as the price of Starbuck's coffee. They were high long before offering internet. Also, offering free internet was for them was the least of the problems that caused them to go up on prices. IMO it was increased demand for their already over-priced product. Also, they stepped way outside of their business matrix by getting involved in the whole music for sale thing and other merchandising, and established way too many locations.

Agree with most of the pp... I'd love it - I'm one of those that does HAVE to take her laptop with her and check in for work a small portion of each day. I think it would be great if it was free, but limited like others have said (maybe 100 minutes or whatever)... probably would still have to be limited to previous cruisers given bandwidth issues, or maybe a special package pricing that includes minutes and some other things that might entice a different section of new cruisers. I know I like the 100 free minutes on Princess, although since I end up charging my company for any internet minutes, it's not that huge of a deal. :D

Archived