Free WiFi on Carnival

Do you think Carnival would attract more customers with free WiFi?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Carnival would attract more customers with free WiFi?

• Yes, I think free WiFi on Carnival would attract more customers
    • No, I think most people still don't mind paying for WiFi, so it would not attract more customers
    • What's WiFi?

HUH??? More sales = more profit. So let me get this straight, you would rather see a cruise line suffer financially to keep prices low? If their business is hurting, they are more likely to cut out the perks, thus you pay more for the things they would normally be willing to give away during times of economic prosperity.:confused:

They sail full every cruise, they are not suffering. But since this is your thread and you seem to want to continue to talk about this. If they had free WIFI, we would pay for it one way or another.

This never going to fly, it will not happen. I will bet you good money on it.

When WiFi first appeared at places like Starbucks, McDonalds, and the big hotel chains, they charged their guests for the privilege to access the internet over their networks. Now these companies have found that offering WiFi access for free is a major selling point, and attracts tons of new customers. Carnival is one of the few companies that offers WiFi access to it's customers. Do you think Carnival would attract more customers if they offered WiFi access on board for free?

As with Carnival wifi this thread is a waste of bandwidth.

1st of all, the system could never support any increase in activity if WiFi was free.

Kind of like asking my Carnival ships aren't hovercrafts or some other silly question !!

Or why you can't use your home cellular carrier while out at sea (no cell towers in the ocean)

Just my opinion.

Yes, it would atract more customers...but it is a money maker for them. Even on the not so cabo wabo cruise where we sailed around to nowhere they never offered free wi-fi, which we thought would of been nice.

I personally do not go on vacation just to be on the computer, sure I would like to be able to use my phone to quickly check my email and stuff... But I can definitely live without it free or paying for it... When I am away I try and stay away from all things back at home besides some quick phone calls to check in with family at home.

I never understood the people that go on a cruise or any vacation just to sit on the computer all day :(

When WiFi first appeared at places like Starbucks, McDonalds, and the big hotel chains, they charged their guests for the privilege to access the internet over their networks. Now these companies have found that offering WiFi access for free is a major selling point, and attracts tons of new customers. Carnival is one of the few companies that offers WiFi access to it's customers. Do you think Carnival would attract more customers if they offered WiFi access on board for free?

Why would they need more customers? They sail full almost every cruise.:confused:

Why would they need more customers? They sail full almost every cruise.:confused:

They sail FULL because they DISCOUNT to fill the ships the last minute if they have to (almost all cruise lines do this). Making WiFi FREE could mean filling ships sooner and not having to discount as much or as often.:)

They sail FULL because they DISCOUNT to fill the ships the last minute if they have to (almost all cruise lines do this). Making WiFi FREE could mean filling ships sooner and not having to discount as much or as often.:)

Then YOU should wait to the LAST minute to book.....LOL....

I selected the no answer, but I don't think I agree with the statement after the NO. I think a lot of people do mind paying for Wifi, particularly at the rates charged. However, I said no for two reasons:

1) I don't think the service level would be satisfactory at the current time, so people would view it as a gimmick.

2) I think it would be highly unlikely for someone to choose a cruise for wifi- there are just way too many other variables that matter much more for the vast majority of people.

If a prospective customer is comparing cruise lines, you really don't think perks like free WiFi won't influence their decision?

No, I really don't. If ALL things were equal then maybe. But all things are not equal, so it seems highly unlikely to me that free wifi would tip the scale to carnival for people. Especially since people would come back to cruisecritic and post reviews/complaints about how the free wifi was a joke because it was to slow to do anything meaningful. :rolleyes:

You're right. Looking back I probably should have rephrased my questions. I too believe that WiFi wouldn't be a perk that would make or break a person's decision to cruise or not to cruise, but if you have cruise lines that are competitive enough to have very similar features offered, it could be something that influences a person's decision along with everything else (ports, activities, good reviews etc.)

While I'm sure many people would enjoy the free WiFi, I'm glad that they don't have it. I'm an admitted internet addict, and if there was free WiFi, I'd be sitting at the pool with my laptop, BSing online, posting pics on Facebook, etc. It is really important for me to limit my internet usage during vacation. Maybe I'll check my email once or twice in the cafe, but that's all DH will allow me!

I selected "no", but for a different reason than what's listed. I cannot imagine people booking a cruise because of WiFi. There are just so many more important factors to choosing a vacation and, really, how much of your vacation time are you willing to waste on the internet? I don't think so.

I do not see it being free. Right now buying it isn't worth it either. The speed is slower than old dial up so what is the point. If you really need it, there are Internet cafés in most ports for a fraction of the on-board charge. I agree it would be nice if they had a perk similar to Princess for an amount of free Internet after so many cruises.

Archived