Help best way to see Vacatin City

meggavolt

I will be in rome on NCL the ship is docked from 8-8, (back on the ship by 7) i have been to rome before and this time i want to be able to visit inside the Vacatin so i would like to spend the day there. i understand there our private tours you can get directly thru the vatican, does anyone know if they have a tour that you can see it all, (Sistine chapel, the basilica and the gardens) even if you have to buy multiple tickets. i know if i have to spend 2 or so hours in a line to get inside then i won't have much time to see much, so i'm trying to avoid as much lines as possible and opting for private tours

Also to get from the port to the vatican is it best just to hire a driver or get on the train

thanks in advance

I will be in rome on NCL the ship is docked from 8-8, (back on the ship by 7) i have been to rome before and this time i want to be able to visit inside the Vacatin so i would like to spend the day there. i understand there our private tours you can get directly thru the vatican, does anyone know if they have a tour that you can see it all, (Sistine chapel, the basilica and the gardens) even if you have to buy multiple tickets. i know if i have to spend 2 or so hours in a line to get inside then i won't have much time to see much, so i'm trying to avoid as much lines as possible and opting for private tours

Also to get from the port to the vatican is it best just to hire a driver or get on the train

thanks in advance

Here is the link that will take you directly to the Vatican Ticket Office. You can reserve an entrance time and even tours. All you need to do is figure out how you will get to Rome from the ship. Many people take the train, or chickens like me take the ship's "On Your Own" tour, which is basically a roundtrip bus ride to Rome and back to the ship.

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/

You now can book tickets ahead of time for the Vatican Museums, even without a guided tours, so there no longer is a need to wait in line.

Sorry that I cannot provide the web address, but I am sure you can either search these boards or do a google search for this information.

We were there in September 2006, before you had this option.

You'll see when you follow the link posted above that you can reserve one tour that includes the museums and the basilica, and another for the gardens. There isn't one tour that covers it all.

As for the best way to get there, it depends on your comfort level with Italian public transportation. The traffic into Rome is bad, so cruise ship buses as well as private limos can get caught up in it. The train, on the other hand, generally gets there on time.

The regional trains from Civitavecchia (NOT the IC trains) stop at Roma San Pietro, which is about five blocks from Piazza San Pietro. The entrance to the musuems, where you'd meet your tour, are another five blocks or so.

Here is the link that will take you directly to the Vatican Ticket Office. You can reserve an entrance time and even tours. All you need to do is figure out how you will get to Rome from the ship. Many people take the train, or chickens like me take the ship's "On Your Own" tour, which is basically a roundtrip bus ride to Rome and back to the ship.

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/

Thanks for psoting the web site!

Archived