Deck number written on my luggage in chalk?

riggins

Hi guys-

When we sailed on the Sun last month, all our luggage arrived at our stateroom with a giant number "9"s written on it them with what appears to be chalk (we were on deck 9). My parents luggage arrived with giant "10"s on them, so I assume this happened all over the ship. Is this normal practice for NCL, or maybe on the Sun, or maybe the port of Vancouver? Between the normal airline and cruise handling process, I certainly don't expect my luggage to remain pristine, but this just seems unnecessary. All our bags had luggage tags on them.

I pulled our bags out today to pack for another trip and the chalk "9" is still there across the front of all 3 of my suitcases. So, I thought I'd take a minute and see if others have experienced this. If so, any tips on how to get it off?

Thanks

Leslie

Try using a Magic Eraser. I have not specifically tried it on luggage, but it has worked getting chalk marks off some furniture and even painted surfaces when a child decorated our back patio with sidewalk chalk!

I would recommend not traveling with your parents anywhere else because, now, everyone will think they got the perfect 10 while you had to settle for the silver medal!;)

SH:D

P.S. I second the magic eraser advice!

I would recommend not traveling with your parents anywhere else because, now, everyone will think they got the perfect 10 while you had to settle for the silver medal!;)

HAHAHAHA...SILVER MEDAL!

you know what the silver medal says? "of all the losers...you're first!" (seinfeld) :D

hmmm...now i wonder if they mark 1 or 2 pieces of luggage in the big racks they use to quickly determine what deck they belong on. could that be a plausible reason for marking with chalk?

I know a sure fire way to get rid of the chalk on those suitcases.

DYNAMITE :eek:

ummm...i think the most stress tested on luggage was the chimpanzee test (american tourister? samsonite?)

I'm not sure that was your deck number...let's see-3 pieces of luggage.

Satan delivered your luggage and those were 6's

another good hypothesis...marking the number of items for a cabin. kinda like how i tagged each item in a person's order at my dad's drycleaning shop.

I don't think they should do that, it seems like a real lack of respect for our belongings. I would complain if it happened (not make a big, big thing about it, but I would let them know that I don't find this practice acceptable).

I don't think they should do that, it seems like a real lack of respect for our belongings. I would complain if it happened (not make a big, big thing about it, but I would let them know that I don't find this practice acceptable).

ok...i understand your point...but...consider this.

chalk method - gets your luggage to your cabin (within a reasonable timeframe)

no chalk - it could end up in someone's closet that they don't notice until halfway through the cruise...then a nasty thread gets created.

I'm not sure that was your deck number...let's see-3 pieces of luggage.

Satan delivered your luggage and those were 6's :eek:

No, no no. Satan does not deliver the luggage, he runs customer service for NCL. :p

Actually that's a pretty good idea on the part of the cruise line. Instead of bending over to look at every tag to see what deck to take it to they write it on it once and everyone else who handles it knows where to take it to. Might even save the cruise line some money with employee injuries. Have you tried a wet wash cloth. I can be a bit of a Felix Unger sometimes, I think that I'm the only person who cleans my luggage inside and out when I return from a trip.

Hi guys-

When we sailed on the Sun last month, all our luggage arrived at our stateroom with a giant number "9"s written on it them with what appears to be chalk (we were on deck 9). My parents luggage arrived with giant "10"s on them, so I assume this happened all over the ship. Is this normal practice for NCL, or maybe on the Sun, or maybe the port of Vancouver? Between the normal airline and cruise handling process, I certainly don't expect my luggage to remain pristine, but this just seems unnecessary. All our bags had luggage tags on them.

I pulled our bags out today to pack for another trip and the chalk "9" is still there across the front of all 3 of my suitcases. So, I thought I'd take a minute and see if others have experienced this. If so, any tips on how to get it off?

Thanks

Leslie

Yes, it happens frequently.

It's only luggage.

Wash it off when you get home if it bothers you.

The whole point is to get your luggage to you as soon as possible.

chalk method - gets your luggage to your cabin (within a reasonable timeframe)

no chalk - it could end up in someone's closet that they don't notice until halfway through the cruise...then a nasty thread gets created.

lol

Maybe they could put big stickers with the deck # on it. I think it would be easy to remove if you do it that same night when you get your luggage to your room.

I don't want to injure dock/ship employees but if every ship/airline/hotel/etc. starts to do this, our luggage will be extremely dirty in no time.

lol

Maybe they could put big stickers with the deck # on it. I think it would be easy to remove if you do it that same night when you get your luggage to your room.

I don't want to injure dock/ship employees but if every ship/airline/hotel/etc. starts to do this, our luggage will be extremely dirty in no time.

I believe the entire point of using chalk is that it is easily removable - MUCH easier than stickers (especially if it depends on how quickly it is removed). Now, if they would put the old-fashioned "location" stickers on they way old steamer trunks did, I'd love that!!! :)

ROFLMFAO-copter! You SLAY me, SH!

I like the vacuum idea too.

I'll be on deck 9 on the Sun myself, but there's nothing you could do to our luggage that wouldn't be an improvement.

Chalk method - gets your luggage to your cabin (within a reasonable timeframe)

lmao!

White chalk on a black suit case is very easy to notice, which makes it easier to sort through the THOUSANDS of suitcases that need to be loaded on the ship in a very short period of time. A sticker will not come off as easy as one might think. I traveled over seas a few weeks ago, and customs put a BIG purple sticker on the top of my suit case. Its still there. Will not come off. Id rather have the chalk that I can remove with a damp cloth.

mooder - you mentioned steamer trunks. Nowadays we're talking in terms of kg's and even carry on only. How times have changed.

I think a good compromise would be to have the deck number in a prominent position on the luggage tags - not just have the cabin number.

wait a minute...i think we needed to ask if the OPs luggage was designer labelled.

who would want their louis vuitton/coach/gucci/(insert other designer) all chalked up after spending a ga-jillion dollars that just holds your clothes and smuggled liquor?

what if they used designer chalk? :D

mooder - you mentioned steamer trunks. Nowadays we're talking in terms of kg's and even carry on only. How times have changed.

I think a good compromise would be to have the deck number in a prominent position on the luggage tags - not just have the cabin number.

or as part of the nickel & diming tactics of NCL...they can give you a freestyle option of sending you rental luggage with YOUR CABIN NUMBER silk screened on each side to ensure prompt delivery to your cabin.

cool, huh? :D

Archived