Best Whale watching in Alaska?

Kathleen000

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2009 at 9:24 PM, larry the lobster said:

Just got back from Alaska. We went whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S in Icy Strait, it was awesome much better than we went 3 years ago in Juneau with RCCL tour of whale watching. F.I.S.H.E.S holds 6 people compared to about 150 to 200 people, need I say more!!!

Is there a website for them?

On 6/17/2023 at 8:21 AM, bunnyette said:

Is there a website for them?

F.I.S.H.E.S. is no longer in business --- Floyd retired a few years back.  If looking for a good whale watching company in Icy Strait my recommendation would be Glacier Wind Charters.  Have gone out with them many times -- well run company.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Italy52 said:

F.I.S.H.E.S. is no longer in business --- Floyd retired a few years back.  If looking for a good whale watching company in Icy Strait my recommendation would be Glacier Wind Charters.  Have gone out with them many times -- well run company.

I am going to also recommend Glacier Windhttps://www.g-wind.com

They are a family run company that are from Alaska. They run their tours, not people who come up to Alaska for the summer. I was most impressed with Teresa and Casey. I hope to meet Shawn and Kyle on my next trip there. The boat we were on was very clean and is brand new. It held 13 passengers. They also have a smaller boat that holds 6 passengers.

I have to say my Icy Strait Point whale watching with G-Wind was far better than most of my Juneau whale watching tours (and I have gone whale watching a lot in Juneau). I know a lot of it has to depend being at the right place at the right time but I would go again with Glacier Wind in a heart beat. I can't say that for some of the companies I have dealt with in Juneau. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

How is whale watching in Sitka? I booked too late and am now scrambling to find someone to whale watch with. They may be possible but unlikely.

I spoke with individuals who did a wildlife boat ride and they saw multiple things including whales, a bear and otters I think. They booked through the cruise line and they were pleased with the excursion. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, latebuyer said:

How is whale watching in Sitka? I booked too late and am now scrambling to find someone to whale watch with. They may be possible but unlikely.

Don't do whale-watching in Sitka - while of course you might get lucky, Otters are the main local marine mammal to go looking for here, most of the good feeding grounds are inside the big islands but Sitka is on the outside coast. Do whales swim nearby? Of course - but Juneau and ISP are the 'absolutely definitely, no question about it, no matter who you go out with or how big the boat is you WILL see whales' ports as there are major feeding grounds within a short sail of both.

There's also a whole bunch of land-based stuff in Sitka you cannot do anywhere else so unless you've been before, or are mad keen on otters, this is the port to do historic stuff (where else can you visit the site of a Russian vs. Amerindian battle!?) and see guaranteed raptors and bears (in captivity - but dirt cheap compared to the flightseeing options to see bears in the wild!)

• Like 3