Hawaii Fall 2010 is out -- BOO

CRUZBUDS

... they have simply made it easier for [many] working people to enjoy the cruise as well.

I've added the word "many", above, because it's certainly not all "working people" for whom this is true. And, it's not just the clergy who have problems with always having to miss three Sundays ... or three Saturdays ... in order to take a cruise like this.

No, but I keep meaning to see if that's in a Kindle edition. Might be something worth reading. He also has one about the South Pacific too, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

"Tales of the South Pacific" is a far different type of novel than Mitchner's later epics. Much shorter in length and filled with humor, pathos, and a remarkable look at the response to difficult and sometimes ludicrous conditions. IIRC, Mitchner won the Pulitzer for it. It remains in the top five of ALL the books I've read.

RuthC. This is one of very few times I disagree with you. When did many of us retirees first cruise? - while still working! When did many develop their "loyalty" to a particular cruise line? While still working. HAL needs to court folks who are still working to develop a following who will still be cruising, in retirement, when the rest of us pass on.

It would not be good business planning to say "We will just cater to retirees and only provide cruises that folks can take once they retire." (Yes, I know this is a bit overboard!)

As a long time cruises and a frequent HAL cruiser, I do not feel overlooked or thrown aside because the Hawaii cruises are one less day. Yes I enjoyed my 15 day HAL Hawaii cruise several years ago, but the 14 day one would be fine with me as well. AS to what day it leaves, I could really care less and am glad to have it changed so that folks still working can more easily take the cruise. I LIKE a more varied age group on board. I love talking with the older passengers but I also like the vitality a younger crowd can bring. JMHO

I only wish there was a way to sign on for a one-way Hawaii voyage and then do another one back a couple of weeks later. To me, the perfect trip to Hawaii would be to cruise to the islands, get off the ship, stay on land for a couple of weeks, and then get back on a ship to return to the main land. The problem with sailing to Hawaii on a roundtrip cruise is that you only get a relatively short period of time on each island. To do everything someone would do on one land trip while in the islands would probably take the cruiser ten Hawaii sailings.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree Rita. A group of us are considering a last minute Hawaii cruise this October. The only way we can see everything we want to see, is if we book The Pride of America - NCL. It looks like that will be the line we choose, since they are able to give far more port time with an overnight stay in both Maui and Kauai. We love HAL, but the main goal of a Hawaiian cruise for us, is seeing Hawaii! ;)

Plus, we can use some of those banked frequent flyer miles to get there! :D

But having the ability to cruise one way at a time would be awesome. The best of both worlds. Those nice days at sea ... the whole cruise would be days at sea ... and several weeks on land maybe island hopping, getting to really see and do a lot of stuff ... now that would be nirvana.

So, I'll keep hoping that someday a cruise line might come up with something like this ... a one-way trip to the islands and back ... where people can book the first part, and then select the sailing on which they would want to come back. Honestly, I think some cruise line will eventually start something like that up ... there are simply too many people out there who cannot or will not fly ... so we just have to be patient.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Celebrity used to do a one way to Hawaii. We took it B2B in 2003. It was 11 days over from Ensenada and around the islands with an overnight in Maui, then overnight in Honolulu and around the islands again for ten days and back to Ensenada. Only problem was with the Ensenada departures and return, the only way it can be done with the present laws.

As a long time cruises and a frequent HAL cruiser, I do not feel overlooked or thrown aside because the Hawaii cruises are one less day.

Nor do I, wander. However, I do see it as one more little change that tells me HAL is looking away from us older cruisers in favor of developing a new group of (hopefully) faithful. But I am also seeing the newer cruisers as lacking in brand loyalty. They will go with whichever line has the itinerary, at the price, they want now.

These changes tend to creep in a little at a time, and shortening the Hawaii cruise is merely another little step HAL is taking.

I am starting to feel very unwelcome at HAL. :(

Hi all,

Princess already changed to the 14 days for 2008/2009 season. I am sure Carnival Corp has studied the results of that and decided to do the same with Zaandam sailings. I too would prefer the 15 days(which I did last March) because of Kona--which was by far my favorite port.

Sherlyn

They will go with whichever line has the itinerary, at the price, they want now. 

Doesn't everybody? I'm hardly likely to book a cruise to a destination I have no desire to visit. That's rather like saying "I'll vote ?? no matter who's running the party".

They will go with whichever line has the itinerary, at the price, they want now. ".

Doesn't everybody? I'm hardly likely to book a cruise to a destination I have no desire to visit. That's rather like saying "I'll vote ?? no matter who's running the party".

I'm reading this as one more statement that HAL is turning away from the "old folks' line", the line that was full of retired people, and looking toward a younger crowd.

Those of us who have sailed HAL for years and years, and at last have all the time in the world to sail even more often on longer cruises, are tossed aside in favor of our proposed replacements.

Sad. Very sad.

I would have to disagree with that statement in certain respects. HAL is one of the few cruise lines that has some really extended, interesting itineraries that are tailor made for older people with plenty of time and even for younger folks who have the means to take them.

As an example, I cite my favorite HAL itinerary, Hawaii/South Pacific, which I will be doing for the third time in March. No other cruise line offers that itinerary. Believe me, I've checked. The closest they come is one way ... from Australia to the U.S. HAL also offers other nice extended itineraries, South America, etc., as well.

It seems to me that what HAL is doing is trying to focus on the younger crowd with the shorter sailings ... 7 to 14 days ... because generally those are the people to whom those itineraries hold appeal. Most people get two to three weeks of vacation a year, and they want to be able to slot their trip into that. I guess HAL sees those shorter (and I mean shorter here as a relative term) itineraries as perfect for the younger, working set and that is precisely the new cruisers that they are trying to draw in. So, they target the sailing for them, cutting it down to 14 days so it will fit in nicely with their allowable vacation time.

Not saying I agree they should do this ... just noting my observations.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't think it's available with Kindle, it wasn't the last time I checked. Tales of the South Pacific is what the muscial South Pacific was based on.....I think!!

Hoping maybe I get a Kindle for Christmas, and or a new laptop/notebook, one that is not soooo heavy:):)

The Kindle is on sale right now for something like $299. It's the second generation Kindle ... holds 1500 books (mine is first generation with a media card to store extra books ... the main unit only holds about 50.) They are getting ready to release third generation Kindle (3,500 books storage capacity and a much larger screen and some other neat features), so I guess they're giving a good deal on the second generation. Might be a good time to buy.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Original Statement:

They will go with whichever line has the itinerary, at the price, they want now.

Doesn't everybody? I'm hardly likely to book a cruise to a destination I have no desire to visit.

No. Those with a strict HAL-oriented Line Loyalty are not likely to book a cruise on a Line other than HAL, regardless of itinerary or destination. The wonderful thing about HAL is that they usually have plenty of itineraries that we want to cruise, so "shopping" for what other Lines have to offer isn't usually forced upon us by necessity. Oh, true, NCL might have an itinerary that we would like, but those with HAL-oriented Line Loyalty don't even bother to check for such itineraries because cruising NCL isn't "on our radar." I understand that this sounds strange to you, but that's how we view it. HAL first, then itinerary, then price. If HAL doesn't go there (there aren't many places that HAL doesn't go), and we REALLY want to go on a cruise to wherever that might be, we'll either wait until HAL adds it to their itineraries or we'll write and ask HAL to consider a cruise to the place. Only after all-else fails do we start looking around for other Cruise Line options.

Allow me to put this slightly differently. While those without a cruise-Line Loyalty might go shopping around for itineraries and prices on one of a half-dozen different cruise Lines, those with HAL Line Loyalty will ask themselves "What does HAL offer in thus-and-such region." If we like what we see, we book it. If we don't, we say "what does HAL offer elsewhere?" NOT "What does NCL have to offer?"

Original Statement:

No. Those with a strict HAL-oriented Line Loyalty are not likely to book a cruise on a Line other than HAL, regardless of itinerary or destination. The wonderful thing about HAL is that they usually have plenty of itineraries that we want to cruise, so "shopping" for what other Lines have to offer isn't usually forced upon us by necessity. Oh, true, NCL might have an itinerary that we would like, but those with HAL-oriented Line Loyalty don't even bother to check for such itineraries because cruising NCL isn't "on our radar." I understand that this sounds strange to you, but that's how we view it. HAL first, then itinerary, then price. If HAL doesn't go there (there aren't many places that HAL doesn't go), and we REALLY want to go on a cruise to wherever that might be, we'll either wait until HAL adds it to their itineraries or we'll write and ask HAL to consider a cruise to the place. Only after all-else fails do we start looking around for other Cruise Line options.

Allow me to put this slightly differently. While those without a cruise-Line Loyalty might go shopping around for itineraries and prices on one of a half-dozen different cruise Lines, those with HAL Line Loyalty will ask themselves "What does HAL offer in thus-and-such region." If we like what we see, we book it. If we don't, we say "what does HAL offer elsewhere?" NOT "What does NCL have to offer?"

Hey Rev, just curious; who is "we"? or do you have a mouse in your pocket this mortning?;)

Hey Rev, just curious; who is "we"? or do you have a mouse in your pocket this mortning?;)

"Those with a strict HAL-oriented Line Loyalty...."

... and I am unanimous in that! :D

Besides, speaking in the first personal plural is an occupational hazard for clergy. We're taught to say "we" and "ours" in our sermons, not "you" and "yours." It sounds less judgmental.

"Those with a strict HAL-oriented Line Loyalty...."

... and I am unanimous in that! :D

Besides, speaking in the first personal plural is an occupational hazard for clergy. We're taught to say "we" and "ours" in our sermons, not "you" and "yours." It sounds less judgmental.

Kinda like "We are not amused"

As he should know!

KingArthur.jpg

How DOES one become King of the Britons?

ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king!

DENNIS: Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

ARTHUR: Be quiet!

DENNIS: Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

ARTHUR: Shut up!

DENNIS: I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

ARTHUR: Shut up, will you. Shut up!

DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

ARTHUR: Shut up!

DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help! I'm being repressed!

ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!

DENNIS: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

Archived