Books in the library?

LynnTTT

We'll be on the transatlantic crossing of the Dream on October 27. We'll be in Greece and Rome for 3 weeks prior and don't want to carry a lot of books thru Europe. Do the Carnival ships usually have a good selection of books?:confused: We were on Princess in Feb and they had a nice library selection

There should be a good selection of books!

I actually make a 'donation' on each cruise - I usually visit some second hand book stores to pick up some paperbacks before each cruise - cheap and I don't have to worry about them (can't see taking 'library' books on a cruise)....and when I'm done I 'donate' them to the library - and free up some space in my luggage! :)

Have you joined our very active roll call for the TA? As for libraries...HAL has good ones, and Cunard is unsurpassed...But it seemed to me that as the Carnival ships get larger, the libraries get smaller. Celebration was larger than Fantasy class, which is larger than on Splendor. They have books, yes...But not a lot. I didn't shelf read to see what was there. They did have a table for swapping books, and I donated several paperbacks which were always gone when I next visited...EM

I recommend the book swap idea. Carnival Miracle's library was tiny (few shelves) compared to the libraries on the 3 Princess ships I've sailed. It was in the internet cafe and had a fraction of the books Princess does.

The other annoyance on Carnival was you have to wait for the two hour per day window to get a game out (signed out with your card). Princess leaves them there for you to get anytime which is much more convenient.

On my cruises, there was nearly nothing in the library. :( But I did find it funny that there were old magazines for sale in the gift shop. Obviously pre-enjoyed old, old magazines with subscription labels ripped off to protect the personal information of the original owner. :p

Have you considered getting a Kindle? You could load it up with electronic books before your trip and be set for your whole trip. I finally bought one and took it on my last cruise. I loved it. It is the size of a paperback and can hold a large volume of books.

Wow, what will they come up with next? Just spoke with my grandson today and he said they can now load their college textbooks on the Kindle. Saves a lot on books, but is it as good as reading a book?

My parents will be on that sailing and have bought Sony E Readers so they can bring all their books with them for reading on the flight and the cruise.

Archived