"Agency issue"....???

Kween Karen

Rita ... admittedly, I may not have stated my comment clearly. My meaning was that because the economy is in such a sorry state HAL may be having issues filling the ship.

Normally I would agree with you 110%. But ... this is a grand voyage that Karen is booked for ... the same one that it almost tore my heart out last year to have to cancel because of changes at work.

HAL has ABSOLUTELY no problems filling the ships for these voyages. In fact, they generally have some people on wait lists. The prices never come down. They only go up.

But ... getting stuck with something like 50 empty cabins a month or so before sail date could be a problem ... even on a grand voyage ... and I'll bet that's why HAL is really scrambling with damage control in this case.

Of course, I could be wrong, and you could be entirely right ... I'm only judging by past experience with these types of sailings. HAL is pretty much the only cruise line that does them ... a trip all the way out to Australia and New Zealand, and then back ... and with a lot of really neat South Pacific and even some Hawaii ports thrown in for good measure. And ... best of all ... no long tiresome flights. Believe me, HAL has that ship full ... bad economy or no bad economy.

Just my opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

OK I just didn't wait long enough. Hal just called (about 5:45) Again very nice......said they were working back and forth with the agency to get the money. (That is what they meant by negotiating.....giving deadlines, etc)

We talked for quite some time......she said just to hold off one day and let her talk to the agency tomorrow and she will call me again.

Then we talked about the credit card charges and pinned them down. Apparently the first charge ($2500) went to HAL....that must have been the deposit. The other two charges (MUCH larger) went to the TA. She told me to call my credit card companies tomorrow and just gather information about filing "fraudulant" charges, find out if it is too late, what the process would be etc. She said I could have the CC companies call her if need be. Then I will talk to her again in the morning. The TZ also sent HAL a check for $1250 in March of this year. Strange amount if you ask me!

That is all I know right now. I am going to my clogging class tonight.....going to exercise all the stress out of me!!!!! Whew!

As to the agency "errors and omissions" insurance, I believe that's what it covers, errors and omissions. It does not cover fraud and negligence and bad business practices and policies.

True, the agency's errors and omissions would cover if some idiot at the agency just failed to make the final payment timely and Karen lost her cabin. But if there was some sort of fraud involved, then the individual agent would be covered under the home office's bond. No large "franchised" or "host agency" type operation would not have their individual agents under some sort of a bond, because otherwise the home office could get dragged into any law suit that could result if the agent plays games with clients' money. Believe me, the home office is gonna make sure they are protected for that sort of thing. Otherwise, the whole operation could go under, including other, innocent agents working for the same host.

Blue skies,

--rita

I do not know how large this agency is. I had the feeling they did have a block of cabins however since one of the perks was that there would be a concierge onboard just to deal with passengers booked through them. Also a Bon Voyage party and several sponsored shore excursions.

In dealing with them I have had emails from the agent, the customer service department, the business department, etc. I am beginning to wonder now, however, if any of that really even exists.

Then we talked about the credit card charges and pinned them down. Apparently the first charge ($2500) went to HAL....that must have been the deposit.

Okay, that explains things. I was wondering how the heck you could have even had an open reservation if the deposit had not gone to HAL.

Enjoy your clogging class and don't worry about this crap. If the agency is working with HAL, it sounds like they are trying to get everything straightened out for you. If they were just "going under," they would be avoiding HAL's phone calls, as well as yours.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I do not know how large this agency is. I had the feeling they did have a block of cabins however since one of the perks was that there would be a concierge onboard just to deal with passengers booked through them. Also a Bon Voyage party and several sponsored shore excursions.

In dealing with them I have had emails from the agent, the customer service department, the business department, etc. I am beginning to wonder now, however, if any of that really even exists.

Those are group bennies (bought with something called GAP points ... group amenity points). The "concierge" is their group host who will probably have scheduled desk hours in the atrium on certain days. She would be available to resolve any problems group members may have ... such as with dining assignments or whatever.

They've got a block of cabins reserved. No question.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It seems very clear this TA/agency has a number of guests booked for this cruise. Of course, the next question is how many of them have funds not forwarded to HAL like Karen.

The agency may have made the final payment for some but not all of the group. It is highly unlikely Karen is the only one who is going through this.

Hope all get to take their cruise and

Normally I would agree with you 110%. But ... this is a grand voyage that Karen is booked for ... the same one that it almost tore my heart out last year to have to cancel because of changes at work.

I'm so sorry that you had to cancel this cruise because I was really looking forward to meeting you onboard ship - maybe one day in the not too distant future?

HAL has ABSOLUTELY no problems filling the ships for these voyages. In fact, they generally have some people on wait lists. The prices never come down. They only go up.

Unfortunately this is no longer true - no doubt due to today's economy. One of the reasons I booked this cruise is because the price went down at least a couple of thousand dollars from what I paid for last year's Grand Asia/Australia cruise, and I will get to spend three days in Brisbane with my brother and sister-in-law (yes, I am "jumping ship" for three days:D). Also, I have been checking out and posting on next year's Grand Asia/Australia cruise, because I am interested in that one too, and at least a couple of posters have already indicated that HAL e-mailed them telling them that their cruise price has been reduced anywhere from $2,000.00 to $3,500.00.

My thoughts and best wishes for a speedy resolution to this "mess" are with Karen and I do hope to see her aboard ship in September.

Valerie:)

It seems very clear this TA/agency has a number of guests booked for this cruise. Of course, the next question is how many of them have funds not forwarded to HAL like Karen.

The agency may have made the final payment for some but not all of the group. It is highly unlikely Karen is the only one who is going through this.

Hope all get to take their cruise and

We have at least one other poster on the Roll Call board who has heard from HAL and thinks that she may be in the same sorry mess.

I truly hope that they get this sorted out. They paid their money, in good faith, and have been looking forward to this cruise for many months

Valerie

Indeed, Valerie. We all hope that Karen (and everyone else in this situation) get this straightened out and will go on this fabulous cruise. We all feel sick for anyone this happens to.

I followed this and my heart goes out to anyone caught in this situation. I started dealing with brick & mortar in another state 15 years ago and still use them today. I never thought about who the cc bill was paid to, but it always went to the cruise line, not the TA. I hope cruise newbies are paying attention!

We have at least one other poster on the Roll Call board who has heard from HAL and thinks that she may be in the same sorry mess.

I truly hope that they get this sorted out. They paid their money, in good faith, and have been looking forward to this cruise for many months

Valerie

Valerie, could you supply the link to that thread? I sure did look , I can not find it. Many thanks. I think I am now going to only book directly with the cruise lines.

:mad::mad: Well all I can say is --- we were part of this agency's "group space" for our RCCL Around the Horn cruise in Jan.'09. When all was said and done

and we actually were on board --- there were only 6 passengers (3 cabins) including ours that constituted the "group". This agency is NOT

affliated with larger travel corporations like AmEX --- so no help in that

department as far as any kind of insurance to cover their mistakes. I also paid in full for our cruise back in June'08 --- only to be

told by my cc company that I had no chance of recovering the additional

charges to my cc made two days prior to departure (without my knowledge or permission). The sticky point here is "when the trip was paid for" and NOT "when the trip is delivered". I am seriously considering

taking more legal action against this agency even at this late date. Who

knows - can't hurt to try. I would LOVE to see them put in jail !! :mad:

I have been very careful to never name the agency on this thread. I won't do that.

Yes I do have a blog......and once this is done I will write about it. In the mean time........I am being careful.

Karen I agree that you need to be very careful of this here on CC and on your blog if it is public.

I am still wishing good thoughts your way and feel this will be resolved. Hopefully by tomorrow this will all be resolved and the other person in your Roll Call that could also have a problem also has things resolved as well.

I have been very careful to never name the agency on this thread. I won't do that.

Yes I do have a blog......and once this is done I will write about it. In the mean time........I am being careful.

Wise move. At this point, you don't want to antagonize them.

Woody

Karen,

It sounds like you are doing everything the right way.

Good on you for keeping a level head.

I must admit, I had a vision of you smacking those clogs into the floor and was delighted with it - releasing tension helps to relax.

We are all behind you and want the very best outcome. Everyone is meaning well with their suggestions, but it sounds like you are doing the very best you can, so please don't get disconcerted if people suggest you do things differently...

People all around the world are batting for you...

;););)

Karen...

I too have read your solo thread and now this one and seen how your bubbling excitement about your forthcoming cruise has been battered by what has happened.

I truly hope that your agent gets his act together quickly and that HAL will able to sort this mess out that the agent has made.

I am fortunate in that my agent is worth his weight in gold, I trust him implicitly...as you should have been able to with yours too. I do so hope that this whole episode comes to a good end for you matey and that your dream cruise goes ahead as planned and anticipated.

Stay positive, even if at times it is getting kinda hard.

Karen, I have read this topic and my heart goes out. My wife owns a travel agency and never uses the tactics that this TA has done. All charges go directly to the Cruise Line, NOT the agency. She only does final payment when the Cruise Line requires it, not when she feels like it (to give every option for better deals, upgrades, cancellations, etc...).

I know the regulations in Florida are tougher and agencies & independent agents need to be registered with a "Seller of Travel Certificate" post a bond with the Dept of Agriculture. Also since she sells airline tickets as well, be appointed by ARC and be bonded as well

If things go south, find out in the state the TA is in who regulates Travel Agencies (in Florida that's the Dept of Agriculture) and file a complaint. The agencies post a bond for that reason. Keep a precise detail & paperwork of what happened (I am sure you have)...just another avenue to go. Also contact your CC (as HAL has mentioned)

Always check with an Agency, if they are ARC appointed (means they are screened & bonded as well), registered with the state (if required in that state...see below).

Hope things work out....

"Which states presently require registration or licensing for Travel Agents and Tour Operators?

Every state has general consumer disclosure and fraud statutes, and refund policy requirements, some specifically addressing in part travel services companies, which are applicable to any business that arranges, markets or sells travel services. Some of these statutes even specify the activities of companies that provide travel services. However, the following states are examples of states that have specific laws for the regulation, registration, licensing, or bonding of sellers of travel:

• CALIFORNIA
  • FLORIDA
  • HAWAII
  • ILLINOIS
  • IOWA
  • LOUISIANA
  • MASSACHUSETTS
  • MICHIGAN
  • NEVADA
  • NEW YORK
  • PENNSYLVANIA
  • RHODE ISLAND
  • VIRGINIA
  • WASHINGTON (STATE)

Of these states, there are currently six states which require registration as a seller of travel regardless of where the agency is located: California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Nevada, and Washington. Some states such as Oregon, Ohio, and Texas have implemented, then repealed their seller of travel registration programs.

Washington and Florida have additional regulations regarding Independent Agents and Outside Sales Agents. Travel clubs also must adhere to additional requirements in California and Virginia. Some states require submission of certificates and disclosure language as part of their seller of travel application. While seller of travel regulations vary from state to state, every license issuing state requires registration, fees and compliance with some financial security regulation or statute. Some states offer options to meet the financial security requirements by providing: a letter of credit, a certificate of deposit, or maintaining a bond or trust account. Other states offer exemptions from the financial security requirement, particularly favoring those sellers of travel that are ARC appointed agencies."

Archived