Sorry, don"t flame me but........

coffeeclutch1

The day you were boarding the ship years ago? In front of you was a couple, the man was dressed in a blue blazer and nice khakis (no not dockers!) his wife had a beautiful outfit on and maybe even a hat. They both had shoes on and all they had was their documents and a small carry-on bag.)

I'm afraid they might all be dead by now :eek:

We openly bring (not smuggle) our own wine on cruises where the "rules" permit and it is convenient to do so. We buy $40-$50 bottles of wine and then pay the corkage (around $18 on our last HAL cruise) in the dining room or Pinnacle Grill.

For us it's not about saving money, it's about enjoying wines we know and like that are never on the wine lists of US ships. Most wines onboard tend to be American, French, Chilean or "cheap" Australian/NZ brands which we never drink.

On Volendam earlier this year our wine waiter was intrigued with the wines we presented each night :)

We also spend around $75 per day on champagne, spirits & cocktails onboard. Oh dear - maybe I need to attend "Friends of Bill W" next cruise :eek:

The last time I saw a couple dressed like that they were on a three hour tour on the S.S Minnow :)

On a related matter, I have often wondered if the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?:confused:

On a related matter, I have often wondered if the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?:confused:

*LOL* yea right :)

And how far can they be from the mainland if they can pick up radio stations on a little portable radio

The following came in an e-mail several years ago. I kept it for sermon material ... it makes an interesting illustration:

Gilligan's Island

Years ago, CBS had a popular little series called GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. There is, however, a dark secret about this "comedy" you may never have realized.

The island is a direct representation of hell. Nobody on the island wants to be there, yet none are able to leave.

Each one of the characters represents one of the 7 deadly sins:

- Ginger represents LUST - she wears skimpy outfits, is obsessed with her looks, and is a borderline nymphomaniac.

- Mary Ann represents ENVY - she is jealous of Ginger's beauty.

- The Professor represents PRIDE - he is an annoying know-it-all.

- Mr. Howell represents GREED - no explanation needed.

- Mrs. Howell represents SLOTH - she has never lifted a finger to help on any of their escape plans.

- The Skipper represents two sins: GLUTTONY - again, no explanation needed and ANGER - he violently hits Gilligan on each show.

- This leaves Gilligan. Gilligan is the person who put them there. He prevents them from leaving by foiling all of their escape plots. Also, it is HIS island. Therefore, Gilligan is SATAN.

Crazy? He does wear red in every episode...

I am a retired lady of 60, we live on a fixed income and will be taking our second cruise to Alaska in September.

We will be in a budget cabin, and we will not take high price excursions, but my thoughts are.........If I want a soda I will buy one, if I want a coctail or a glass of wine, I will buy one. In my opinion it is part of the trip and part of being on vacation!:)

Doesn't anyone else feel that sneaking alcohol on board in your lugguge, or taking cases of soda (from Cosco) duct taped together, is just a little "tacky"?

Just because you can, should you? How much do you save? A few bucks?

When I go on a cruise I want to just sit back and enjoy, drag my suitcase in, set it down and forget everything else!

OK everyone. LET ME HAVE IT!:eek:

Won't flame you at all. Some people think that they're going camping and not cruising. I can understand taking a bottle of wine if it's a favorite and the cruise line does not carry it but some of the posts that I read on other boards make me laugh. Some talk about rolling coolers up the gang way to their cabin full of soft drinks and bottled water.

RevNeal, I'd never made the connection between the characters on Gilligan's Island and the 7 deadly sins; it's fascinating & a little scary:eek:.

Did you also know that the lyrics and melody to the Gilligan's Island theme song are interchangeable with the lyrics & melody of "Amazing Grace"? Weird, but true. :o

I am a retired lady of 60, we live on a fixed income and will be taking our second cruise to Alaska in September.

We will be in a budget cabin, and we will not take high price excursions, but my thoughts are.........If I want a soda I will buy one, if I want a coctail or a glass of wine, I will buy one. In my opinion it is part of the trip and part of being on vacation!:)

Doesn't anyone else feel that sneaking alcohol on board in your lugguge, or taking cases of soda (from Cosco) duct taped together, is just a little "tacky"?

When I go on a cruise I want to just sit back and enjoy, drag my suitcase in, set it down and forget everything else!

It is either ok or not ok to bring anything on board. If it is ok, nothing tacky about it, it just is. If the wine or coke is ok then it is just a personal decision to make. I have no problem with someone bringing their favorite wine or sodas if they wish to. That rule is one of the great things about Holland America Lines among many.

Won't flame you at all. Some people think that they're going camping and not cruising. I can understand taking a bottle of wine if it's a favorite and the cruise line does not carry it but some of the posts that I read on other boards make me laugh. Some talk about rolling coolers up the gang way to their cabin full of soft drinks and bottled water.

docdance.jpg

He has a watermelon on the table! That's great. I love the sign-in procedure. I usually meet some old guy, Italian usually, and named Mario, who tells me he's taking his entire family on a cruise. His wife speaks no English even though they've lived in NYC, Brooklyn actually for over 50 years. I so love it. I want to hug him!

Bring on the chianti!!!!

RevNeal, I'd never made the connection between the characters on Gilligan's Island and the 7 deadly sins; it's fascinating & a little scary:eek:.

Did you also know that the lyrics and melody to the Gilligan's Island theme song are interchangeable with the lyrics & melody of "Amazing Grace"? Weird, but true. :o

Yes, indeed. That's because they have the same meter. In fact, you can sing the words of "Amazing Grace" to any song that has the same meter. For instance, you can put the words to "Amazing Grace" into the tune for "I've got a Peaceful, Easy Feeling." The Chorus has to be re-worked, but otherwise the verses fit perfectly.

Amazing grace

How sweet the sound

That saved a wretch like me

I once was lost

But now I'm found

Was blind but now I see

I've Got a peaceful, easy feeling

And I know God won't let me down

For I'm already standing

On Solid Ground.

:)

I always take some Diet Pepsi, since I don't like or drink Coke products..Guess I'm to be considered tacky.. :rolleyes:

We drink HAL"s Tap water & never need to buy bottled water, except on the rare ocassion that we might run out of water in port..We take our own water bottles, fill them up with HAL's tap water & chill them overnight in the ice bucket...

Personally, I think HAL will eventually go the way of many other cruise lines and one day not allow anything to be brought onboard -- soda, wine, beer or liquor. That's because while most people may bring a bottle of wine onboard with them, there are others who abuse the privilege and bring entire cases. Somehow I don't think that's what HAL meant when they said guests could bring their own wine onboard.

--rita

I bold-ed your statement.. "Abuse the Privilege" Isn't that quite judgmental?

How do you know what Hal's intent was? As another poster so aptly put it, (sorry can't remember who it was :o) if that was the case, then why didn't HAL limit the amount of wine one could bring on board? :confused:

Who cares?

Touche' Copper....Someone should put those two words up in Lights !!!:):)

Cheers....Betty

He has a watermelon on the table! That's great. I love the sign-in procedure. I usually meet some old guy, Italian usually, and named Mario, who tells me he's taking his entire family on a cruise. His wife speaks no English even though they've lived in NYC, Brooklyn actually for over 50 years. I so love it. I want to hug him!

Bring on the chianti!!!!

Just a heads up; that "table" is an upside down commercial beverage crate placed on top of a set of portable stairs. Personally, I like the combo of the water mellon, the large bottle of red vino of a, no doubt, vintage year of T-Bird and the five cans of bud to wash it all down:eek: Judging from the opened can in his right hand, the add'l five Bud empties and the just as empty styrofoam cooler, he's been thirsty

Just to add to the fray...

I haven't smuggled beer or soda onto a ship; however, I can see why people do it. I have found that the soda on HAL ships is not very well carbonated and is served in very small glasses with lots of ice - it's just not a good value; and more than that it doesn't taste very good without the carbonation. So, if I was a big fan of soda, I could see bringing a couple of 12-packs aboard.

As for beer, the on-board selection is not good. My husband and I prefer microbrews and I have yet to see a good beer menu on a cruise ship. (I've heard that HAL is putting beer pubs onto some of its ships, so hopefully this situation will change.) Again, I could see the reason that a big microbrew fan might want to smuggle some beer on board. If HAL offered a better selection I know we would definitely drink beer; but no thanks on the cheap, watered down stuff they do offer.

For our next cruise I'm considering bringing on board a couple of bottles of wine...I didn't even know this was an option on our earlier cruises; but thanks to this board I see that it is allowed so I will definitely take advantage and not have to pay the inflated cost of a bottle of wine aboard the ship. We will likely just enjoy this wine in our cabin, and still order wine from the ship at dinner. (This, of course, depends on if I've left enough space in my luggage!)

FWIW

The way I see it, this is your vacation. For me they are far and few between. If I decide there is something I want on the cruise that is not offered I will bring it with me. This is perfectly acceptable by HAL's standards. If there are people that want to frown upon that, well, I would say they have bigger issues themselves that need to be addressed. Everyone is entitled to be happy on their vacation. As Copper said, Who cares?

But I'm sharing it with my tablemates

6a010535e8eef2970c0105365056ed970b-800wi

So in this case, size does matter :cool: - Btw, that one is given to dress code violators. They have a choice: walk the plank...........or start peeling this bad boy in the galley

Why would someone being on a fixed income be a pet peeve of yours?

Just curious. I'm another one of those wildly fluctuating incomes.

I don't think they're saying someone on a fixed income is a pet peeve, its the overused phrase 'I'm on a fixed income' I have been on a fixed income since I left my parents house. And some 30+ years later, our income is still fixed. It doesnt' go up or down every month. Its 'fixed'. I've often wondered where that came from. Everyone that has a set salary is on a fixed income.

... its the overused phrase 'I'm on a fixed income'

I've often wondered where that came from. Everyone that has a set salary is on a fixed income.

I think it started with annuities, which pay a fixed amount forever, and then got stretched to include Social Security and pensions, where the only future increases will be small COLAs. Now it generally means "no chance of a promotion or new job which will pay better".

Archived