Walkie-Talkies on Board

bogeydi

Stay home? Old grouch? :eek: Wow that is kind of extreme. I will say again I do not have a problem with people using walkie talkies on cruises. Just be considerate of others.

I do have a problem with folks who use them while walking through the ship distracted by the devices and bumping into people as they go. It is the same as cell phones and driving. If you are going to use the radios please find a spot away from others and try to stay in one place as you talk.

Ok, about staying home, that's extreme and plane wrong, my bad:D Old grouches, honestly I have met a few.

Whatever we do it's about understanding and consideration. I don't want a loud drunk sitting next to me at a bar, but I am not going to put down the use of alcohol on a ship. I don't like to be ran into by a scooter but it has happened. It's not the alcohol, scooter or walkie-talkie but the people using them. Maybe we should be discussing walkie-talkie, scooter, and drinking etiquette. While we are at it add chair hogs, theater hounds, buffet lickers, elevator rushers, line cutters, none tippers, and dress code violators. At my house I only have whiners, so I could have a better time staying home.

Ok, about staying home, that's extreme and plane wrong, my bad:D Old grouches, honestly I have met a few.

Whatever we do it's about understanding and consideration. I don't want a loud drunk sitting next to me at a bar, but I am not going to put down the use of alcohol on a ship. I don't like to be ran into by a scooter but it has happened. It's not the alcohol, scooter or walkie-talkie but the people using them. Maybe we should be discussing walkie-talkie, scooter, and drinking etiquette. While we are at it add chair hogs, theater hounds, buffet lickers, elevator rushers, line cutters, none tippers, and dress code violators. At my house I only have whiners, so I could have a better time staying home.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but am afraid to ask this question: what is a buffet licker?

So if we don't take walkie talkies, how do we keep track of our kids??? They are 15 and 11...so I'm sure they won't want to stick by our side the whole time...but how do we know where they are/what they are doing if we don't have a way to communicate? At home, if we were separated (say, at Disneyland), we'd just use our cell phones.

The walkie-talkie is one way I use to keep in touch at camp grounds, ships and resorts. We also use note pads, making sure they leave a time on the message. I am always moving around so this increases the chance of us missing each other. I am not one to sit and tan:eek: It's one little thing that brings a bit more peace of mind. I am not worrying about them telling me the truth. I guess they could take their chance and deal with my wrath if I find out otherwise. If I can't trust what my kids are saying while on vacation for a week, I am bigger issues to deal with than walkie-talkie......me thinks!

So if we don't take walkie talkies, how do we keep track of our kids??? They are 15 and 11...so I'm sure they won't want to stick by our side the whole time...but how do we know where they are/what they are doing if we don't have a way to communicate? At home, if we were separated (say, at Disneyland), we'd just use our cell phones.

We had the same concern taking our, then, 15 year old and her friend. The teen or youth center can provide you with a pager if there are concerns. The ship does provide structured activities for kids and checking in can be pretty easy. As for the girls, we set some pretty sound ground rules that were adhered to pretty well. As a parent of an only child, I have to admit I was considering bringing walky-talkies, a long rope, GPS implants, or anything to make sure they were trackable. Sometimes a leap of faith is what it takes. I would stress on them (I still do now that our DD is off to college) to always be aware of their surroundings and not to put themselves in situations not comfortable to them like; do not go into someone else's cabin, maintain the buddy system when out and about, and about a hundred other things to keep safe. In the end, do what makes you feel comfortable.

You see lots of people squaking into these, screaming "WHAT???" a lot so they don't seem to work too well. i'm also not sure why folks think everyone needs to hear their conversations so loudly, since they keep them turned WAY up. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

Ditto............

I'm not sure, what did people do before technology :confused: Seriously, have a set place and time to meet.....say at the aft pool at 2:00, then 4:00......or just meet at the room at a certain time so you can all regroup. It's really not all that hard.....put the electronics away, you will have more fun.

Wow, with a range of 30 miles, :rolleyes: it sounds like they'll work everywhere on the ship. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh yeah! In fact, they work so well at night, we communicate with the kids at home in VA from the cruise ship! Its absolutely amazing!:p

In my own experience, W/T's are a good way to communicate on beaches and ski slopes, but they really stink on the ships. Don't waste your money on them if your are mainly planning to use them while on the ship.

The walkie-talkie is one way I use to keep in touch at camp grounds, ships and resorts. We also use note pads, making sure they leave a time on the message. I am always moving around so this increases the chance of us missing each other. I am not one to sit and tan:eek: It's one little thing that brings a bit more peace of mind. I am not worrying about them telling me the truth. I guess they could take their chance and deal with my wrath if I find out otherwise. If I can't trust what my kids are saying while on vacation for a week, I am bigger issues to deal with than walkie-talkie......me thinks!

We aren't ones to sit and sunbathe either, so I'm not sure where I would tell the kids to check in with me. And I'm not worried about them lying about their location either - they are both good kids who are horrible liars. :D

We had the same concern taking our, then, 15 year old and her friend. The teen or youth center can provide you with a pager if there are concerns. The ship does provide structured activities for kids and checking in can be pretty easy. As for the girls, we set some pretty sound ground rules that were adhered to pretty well. As a parent of an only child, I have to admit I was considering bringing walky-talkies, a long rope, GPS implants, or anything to make sure they were trackable. Sometimes a leap of faith is what it takes. I would stress on them (I still do now that our DD is off to college) to always be aware of their surroundings and not to put themselves in situations not comfortable to them like; do not go into someone else's cabin, maintain the buddy system when out and about, and about a hundred other things to keep safe. In the end, do what makes you feel comfortable.

Good to know there is a pager, if we feel we need it. My main concern is that the boys would be in different groups for the kids' activities - and neither one of them is really used to wandering around by themselves.

I'm not sure, what did people do before technology :confused: Seriously, have a set place and time to meet.....say at the aft pool at 2:00, then 4:00......or just meet at the room at a certain time so you can all regroup. It's really not all that hard.....put the electronics away, you will have more fun.

I'm not sure what people did before technology - I didn't have kids back then. ;) I do know that growing up - when there was no tech - we just never went anywhere alone...easy to do with 6 kids in a family. :)

I would not want to see you stay home either. Yes I think the key words are understanding and consideration which goes a long way. If I had cruised when my son was young I probably would have been a basket case worrying about him.

Btw I have also met some real grouches (young and old) on some of my cruises also. :)

What would you have done 50 years ago????

What would you do in a major power outage???

No where including the bath tub is 100% safe, but you are on a well controlled cruise ship. Your kids are most likely safe and having fun. Let them enjoy some freedom in a safe environment. Do not worry excessively that is one advatage of a cruise ship.

Now 30 miles seems like BS and the walkie talkies do seem useful in port, while skiing, biking, or camping. What is a realistic range for these things in port?

No where including the bath tub is 100% safe, but you are on a well controlled cruise ship. Your kids are most likely safe and having fun. Let them enjoy some freedom in a safe environment. Do not worry excessively that is one advatage of a cruise ship.

Now 30 miles seems like BS and the walkie talkies do seem useful in port, while skiing, biking, or camping. What is a realistic range for these things in port?

1-2 miles tops reliably over open water unless using an external antenna with the GMRS units.

You're right..

Ours are advertised as 25 mile range. At home we get dependable 3-4 mile communication...not much more. They also work great onboard.

Lew

Hmmmm...very good points! Now to convince DH that we don't need the walkies.....

The FRS/GMRS two way radios use the 460 MHz band. This is a line of sight band. Structures of any type, hills, etc., will block the signal to some extent. In addition the FRS radios are limited to 500 mw (1/2 watt) and an internal antenna by the FCC. Realistic range is one to two miles depending on where you are located. If you are high on a hill and talking to someone on another hill that you can see, the range will be great. It you are in a building talking to someone in another building, the range may be as small as a few blocks at best. Incidentally the big high rises with the big glass windows have a metal coating on them to cut the sun heating effect. Radios and cell phones do not like metal since it acts as a shield. You will get better reception if you stay away from the windows and stand next to an exterior wall.

Manufacturers make outlandish claims about the range of these units. It makes car manufacturers with their estimated MPG look like angels!!

The FRS/GMRS two way radios use the 460 MHz band. This is a line of sight band. Structures of any type, hills, etc., will block the signal to some extent. In addition the FRS radios are limited to 500 mw (1/2 watt) and an internal antenna by the FCC. Realistic range is one to two miles depending on where you are located. If you are high on a hill and talking to someone on another hill that you can see, the range will be great. It you are in a building talking to someone in another building, the range may be as small as a few blocks at best. Incidentally the big high rises with the big glass windows have a metal coating on them to cut the sun heating effect. Radios and cell phones do not like metal since it acts as a shield. You will get better reception if you stay away from the windows and stand next to an exterior wall.

Manufacturers make outlandish claims about the range of these units. It makes car manufacturers with their estimated MPG look like angels!!

I can see by you comments that either you're a HAM operator or have had enough experience with radio's to understand the concept. It's a shame the FCC doesn't take more initiative to limit the claims these distributors are printing on the packages and it's almost laughable to see them try to outdo each other. I'm wondering just when they'll reach the limit. :D

Have they hit the 50 mile mark yet. :rolleyes:

Hey folks! Get over it. If you have or want to walk around the ship or everywhere else for that matter with WALKIE TALKIES to enhance communication with your family/group,go for it and enjoy it! The work great and all these other people are simply jealous!

Manufacturers make outlandish claims about the range of these units.

All the claims say "up to" so many miles.

Just like the ads for merchandise that say just pay a fraction of the listed price. Paying 99.5% of list price is a fraction of that price.

I agree with Schplinky, this is an interesting thread. The poor OP must think they opened up a real can of worms.

LOL. You took the words right out of my mouth! Can of worms though this thread may be - I really appreciate all of the differing opinions and ideas and cautions that I would never have thought of. That's why I asked the question - now we have lots to think about. We will probably still bring them and try them out, but I promise we will try and be respectful of those around us.

LOL. You took the words right out of my mouth! Can of worms though this thread may be - I really appreciate all of the differing opinions and ideas and cautions that I would never have thought of. That's why I asked the question - now we have lots to think about. We will probably still bring them and try them out, but I promise we will try and be respectful of those around us.

That's exactly why we are on these boards. You will find that most of the people here have an incredible wealth of knowledge when it comes to cruising. Of course, some of our opinions may need to be taken with a grain of salt. Wait till you meet some of them, should you join the roll calls. We have met some very delightful people we hope to cruise with in the future. I see you're on the Emerald next. She's a beautiful ship we hope to book again someday.:)

That's exactly why we are on these boards. You will find that most of the people here have an incredible wealth of knowledge when it comes to cruising. Of course, some of our opinions may need to be taken with a grain of salt. Wait till you meet some of them, should you join the roll calls. We have met some very delightful people we hope to cruise with in the future. I see you're on the Emerald next. She's a beautiful ship we hope to book again someday.:)

I have joined my first roll call for our October cruise on Emerald - looking forward to it. Heard great things about her - from CC! Didn't know anything about CC when we took our first 2 cruises. Thanks again for your 2 cents on this post!

I can see by you comments that either you're a HAM operator or have had enough experience with radio's to understand the concept. It's a shame the FCC doesn't take more initiative to limit the claims these distributors are printing on the packages and it's almost laughable to see them try to outdo each other. I'm wondering just when they'll reach the limit. :D

Have they hit the 50 mile mark yet. :rolleyes:

I am a ham radio operator (44 years) and a retired electrical engineer. I think it is called the free enterprise system where the concept of "let the buyer beware" is in full swing. Each manufacturer is trying to out do their competitors. As another poster pointed out, they actually say "up to...". Those to me are weasel words but sadly true.

Archived