Tipping for Suite "perks"

drcandon

Hi Folks...I did a search before I posted and perhaps I am just search challenged but could not really find what I was looking for.

Here is the question..we are getting a SC in the Noordam for the March 5 2010 Southern Carib cruise.. ( maybe higher depending on/if we get an upgrade) which I assume is the suite category in which you get access to the Neptune lounge etc...tipping is the question...

First ,for Neptune lounge staff, is tipping/service charge (whatever you want to call it) customary, if so when ( I assume at end of cruise) and what guidelines do you have for amount? To both staff? ( I understand there are usually two folks in there).

Also, I understand that suite guests can use the Pinnacle grill for breakfast ( included - no extra charge), so when and or if do you tip that staff...very confused???

Any other suite perks ( ie staff) that I am missing??

Thanks

Category "SC" is eligible to use Neptune Lounge and to breakfast in Pinnacle.

We always have an envelope for the concierge(s) at the end of every cruise and the amount we tip depends upon what we requested of him/her for that cruise.

We almost never breakfast in Pinnacle but the few times we did, we tipped extra above what we always tip when we have dinner there. We prefer Room Service breakfast so rarely go to Pinnacle in the morning. If we have lunch or dinner there, we always tip.

We also (usually) tip the Pinnacle Steward who keeps the nibbles in the dome and keeps it all tidy. He sets out the various selections for breakfast, lunch and late afternoon snacks.

Enjoy your cabin......... enjoy your cruise.

We also tip the concierges at the end of the cruise - the amount depends on how often we use them.

As for the Pinnacle for breakfast -- we have noticed that we no longer get the same staff there each morning for breakfast -- they rotate -- so that has made it difficult to tip them. On the Noordam we had 8 different people throughout a 10 day cruise. First time we ever had that happen. After the first couple of days we got into the habit of tipping the serves at the end of breakfast each day.

I agree with Sail as to whom is tipped. We usually tip the Concierges $11 per person per day, and more if they have really gone out of their way to arrange something special for us. I know most people prefer not to use dollar amounts, as that is something only you and your wallet can decide, but this is what we tip, and I feel that some people would like some sort of an idea. We value our Concierge's as well as our room service people, cabin stewards and waiters.

Just being nosy; Do you "tippers";) tip both concierges an equal amount at the conclusion of your cruise? It is my understanding that one of them is the "primary" NL concierge while the other covers when the "primary" goes/is on her/his break. In other words, the 'secondary" is not assigned there for the same amount of time as the 'primary"

Just being nosy; Do you "tippers";) tip both concierges an equal amount at the conclusion of your cruise? It is my understanding that one of them is the "primary" NL concierge while the other covers when the "primary" goes/is on her/his break. In other words, the 'secondary" is not assigned there for the same amount of time as the 'primary"

Previously we used to tip the primary one more than the one we saw only once in a while.

But on our recent Noordam and Westerdam cruises -- both were working there all the time -- they divided the day equally between them. So we tipped each the same amount.

Previously we used to tip the primary one more than the one we saw only once in a while.

But on our recent Noordam and Westerdam cruises -- both were working there all the time -- they divided the day equally between them. So we tipped each the same amount.

Thanks Yonnie:)

While I won't discuss the amount we tip the concierges, I willl say it is less than Sage. She may ask them for much more than we do so I wouldn't begin to judge but we do not have hardly any special requests. It is rare we need anything particular done at this point; been there and done it so many times. :)

I make sure DH gives the Pinnacle Steward an envelope for sure as we do enjoy the snacks he is responsible for keeping supplied, fresh and cleaned up.

I make sure DH gives the Pinnacle Steward an envelope for sure as we do enjoy the snacks he is responsible for keeping supplied, fresh and cleaned up.

On our recent cruises we did not have the same Pinnacle Stewards working the Neptune Lounge -- one for morning -- one for early afternoon -- and a third one for late afternoon and to clean up for the night.

Then after about 5 days -- another group was rotated in.

Do you tip all these people?? How do you track them down at the end of the cruise?

DRCANDON. Thanks for posting this inquiry, as I've been wondering the same thing.

It is a small world! I'll be on the same ship, same category so maybe we'll be neighbors! :)

By the way, you might want to join the Nordaam March 5 roll call.

On our recent cruises we did not have the same Pinnacle Stewards working the Neptune Lounge -- one for morning -- one for early afternoon -- and a third one for late afternoon and to clean up for the night.

Do you tip all these people?? How do you track them down at the end of the cruise?

Maybe HAL is changing things again? Neptune Lounge concierges are selected from the Front Office staff. They work the NL on a rotating basis and then go back to the Front Office and someone else gets the chance to work the NL. There used to be one 'primary' per cruise with an 'assistant' or 'secondary' to take care of breaks. There can be several "NL qualified" front office attendants on any particular cruise, depending on how many have received the training

Themajority of the time there are females in the Neptune lounge so we take along some Victoria Secret showel Gel or Body Butter for them along with slippers and a monetary tip.

We are well known for giving out slippers. We generally give away a dozen pair each cruise.

Ruth & Jim

Out of all our cruises, we have never experienced such a change of staff throughout the day. I wouldn't attempt to track that number of stewards down. I think you'll agree that is a highly unusual circumstance.

If we happend to be in Pinnacle and saw one (or more) who had worked Neptune Lounge and we wished to tip him (them), we would do so at that time.

Originally Posted by Krazy Kruizers

Maybe HAL is changing things again? Neptune Lounge concierges are selected from the Front Office staff. They work the NL on a rotating basis and then go back to the Front Office and someone else gets the chance to work the NL. There used to be one 'primary' per cruise with an 'assistant' or 'secondary' to take care of breaks. There can be several "NL qualified" front office attendants on any particular cruise, depending on how many have received the training

John.... I think KK was referring to the Pinnacle Stewards in her posts; not front office ladies (and gents) who alternate as concierges. (Actually during the last two years or so, we have had at least 3 male concierges on three different ships. Two were great; one was not.)

It is Pinnacle Stewards who supply, freshen, clean up all the food and drink in Neptune.

When we first encountered a Neptune Lounge on the Rotterdam several years ago, there was a young man that was the Concierge full time instead of the roatating ones of today. He did an incredible job, and I would love to see them return to this policy. While we have never experienced a bad Concierge, I think that continunity of the service is more insured with a non rotating person.

Perhaps we do tip a bit more as Sail has indicated than the average person, but I have a life threating allergy that I explain to the Concierge, and they make sure that everyone else is alerted to my problem, so I am worry free the entire cruise.

John

The conversation changed -- we are now talking about tipping the Pinnacle Stewards who keep bringing all the snacks and make certain that there is plenty of food for everyone at all times of the day. They clean up the dishes, etc.

The Neptune concierges -- yes they are from the front office staff and do work the Neptune Lounge for at least 2 - 3 months at a time.

Out of all our cruises, we have never experienced such a change of staff throughout the day. I wouldn't attempt to track that number of stewards down. I think you'll agree that is a highly unusual circumstance.

If we happend to be in Pinnacle and saw one (or more) who had worked Neptune Lounge and we wished to tip him (them), we would do so at that time.

We noticed this on our recent cruises and figured that they were being rotated because of the Pinnacle being open for breakfast and lunch -- thus giving each a chance to work the dining room and the Neptune Lounge.

While I won't discuss the amount we tip the concierges, I willl say it is less than Sage. She may ask them for much more than we do so I wouldn't begin to judge but we do not have hardly any special requests. It is rare we need anything particular done at this point; been there and done it so many times.

We tip in a fashion akin to S7S .. and on some longer cruises if we frequent Pinnacle a lot, we will tip all the waiters there at end of cruise by envelope and the Pinnacle Maitre d' as well. We only have one ship where we have not been pleased with Pinnacle and only tipped the Steward in Neptune. We also tip concierge more for the primary one and less the secondary unless they are actually there the same amount of time - which happens about 1/3 of the cruises from our experiences.

harry

OK, I'm confused. What DOES the $11/day cover in terms of tips. I thought that was a great concept for the less-seasoned traveler so you didn't have to worry your little head about tipping!

I do tip extra in Pinnacle (told to on this site, not quite sure why), cabin stewards—who always go above and beyond, occasionally NL concierge (but not the time he blithely left his post after sailaway, with my suitcase still missing—thereafter rescued by the steward), and once lots of people on the Prinsendam who treated us like royalty for some odd reason.

So my philosophy is that basically we're covered and any outstanding service gets a little extra. Am I wrong?

Thanks to all who have responded..if anyone else wishes to chime in, please do..this will be a new experience for us..We will definitely keep this in mind..I am still a bit unsure about the Pinnacle grill, I guess we will have to see how the days unfold...

Bloofer... yep... I will stuff our names on the roll call for the March 5, 2010 cruise..I meant to do it, just keep forgetting..

Archived