HOHO bus in Rome

itec

Rome is best experienced on foot, so if you are relatively fit I would not recommend using the HOHO bus. First off, the buses are not able to drive by all the monuments; some you will only see by getting off the bus -- and getting back on can sometimes be a hassle if they are crowded or traffic delays the next bus.

The historic center of the city is very walkable. It's about 15-20 minutes (depending on your pace) from the Spanish steps to the Pantheon, about 20 minutes from the Pantheon to Capitoline Hill and the Imperial Forums. The Vatican is a longer walk from the central city but doable if you have the time and energy; otherwise, a taxi is not that expensive.

However, if you are unable to walk, many people enjoy using the HOHO.

I agree with cruismom42 that walkabouts are the best way to experience any place, I disagree on the merits of the HOHO though. I found them helpful whenever I took them and make a point to actually use them on the first day in a new city.

In a few hours on a HOHO, you have an overview of the city, with narrative or guide. You can then get off at any point to explore that particular area. You also have a fairly good perceptive of distance and can make decision whether you wish to walk to another destination or, jump back on the HOHO for a ride to it. If you have only one day, why wander aimlessly?

Here is a website that has information on the different HOHO buses available in Rome.

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

With the tools available on the internet (e.g., Google Maps), a city map, and good planning, there is no need to wander aimlessly. (Although wandering aimlessly can be fun when you have the time.)

While walking in Rome, I have often passed one of the HOHO buses, along with all other vehicles, stuck in traffic. Same was true in Barcelona.

Perhaps I just do too much advance research; I can't say that I have ever learned much from the commentary provided on these buses. The same with orienting myself -- the buses often take a circuitous route rather than a direct route. Unless I am looking at a map the whole time, I don't find it a real benefit in orienting myself to the city layout.

I have given the HOHO experience several tries. It's just not for me. Of course, YMMV (literally!)

I agree with cruismom42 that walkabouts are the best way to experience any place, I disagree on the merits of the HOHO though. I found them helpful whenever I took them and make a point to actually use them on the first day in a new city.

In a few hours on a HOHO, you have an overview of the city, with narrative or guide. You can then get off at any point to explore that particular area. You also have a fairly good perceptive of distance and can make decision whether you wish to walk to another destination or, jump back on the HOHO for a ride to it. If you have only one day, why wander aimlessly?

Here is a website that has information on the different HOHO buses available in Rome.

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

Thanks for the link - really helpful and will save us some money as we only want to do the full circuit instead of HOHO

The HOHO bus is great! Most of us are beat after traveling in from overseas flights....it is great to just sit and take in the sights and prepare your sightseeing...if you sit up top

bring a wide brimmed hat...SUNNY & HOT!

The HOHO bus is great! Most of us are beat after traveling in from overseas flights....it is great to just sit and take in the sights and prepare your sightseeing...if you sit up top

bring a wide brimmed hat...SUNNY & HOT!

I understand that some HOHO buses have 2 decks. Does the lower one have A/C? Which line is a good choice for Sunday?

thanks

Be aware that the HOHO bus in Rome begins its route at the train station. When we were last there they made everyone get off one bus and walk some yards to get on another bus. Thats does't sound too bad but you must force your way through many others trying to get on the same bus.

Except for that problem, the HOHO was informative and a conveniant way to see the sights and city.

Archived