Does my 16 year old need a photo ID?

3redheads

This is our first time sailing on CCL and it states my 16 year old needs a photo ID. Is this strictly enforced?

She could get her learner's permit (if she studies and passes the test), but what if she doesn't pass the test and can't get her permit?

We leave in 39 days.

This is our first time sailing on CCL and it states my 16 year old needs a photo ID. Is this strictly enforced?

She could get her learner's permit (if she studies and passes the test), but what if she doesn't pass the test and can't get her permit?

We leave in 39 days.

Must have a BC and a photo ID for a 'closed loop' cruise. Must have a passport to fly into or out of the US.

Both 100% enforced by Government agency, not Carnival.

If she was on your previous cruises, what form of ID was used then? BC's and photo ID's have been required for some years.

Maybe 16 is young enough not to need??

No. Althought we all do have passports. But I just traveled with my DS 's who are 14 and 16. They only needed a birth certificate. When reboarding all they needed was their S&S card as long as you have your photo id.

Does your state (driver's license bureau) do id's? Many states can issues id's for kids - I had gotten one for my 6 year old many years ago. I needed a birth certificate and got the id the same day.

All states do it. They have to provide ID for the non-driving folks out there. She could possibly use her school ID, but I would recommend (for whatever it's worth) she get a state-issued non-driver's ID. They'll confiscate it from her when she eventually gets her license.

Last time she went on a cruise, she was 15.

Hopefully, we can get her in the DMV to take her driver's test. If she doesn't pass, we can try for the state ID.

Thanks so much!

PS I will also look for her school id

Are you from Texas? How soon do you sail?

In Texas it takes at least 2 months now to get a DL or State ID. (They just changed formats and then got a computer virus in the system---it's been a mess!) Outside of Texas I don't know how long it takes....

Our 16 year old just sailed with us out of Galveston. She had her official birth certificate (raised seal from the county) and her high school student ID card. She didn't have any problems. It probably helped that she was traveling with family members all with the same last name and address who had passports.

We leave in 39 days.

Use her school ID, or her passport which is always sufficient. The only time she is really going to need the ID, assuming that she is with you, is when she reenters the country. The other use is for security at the piers but if she is with you they will let her in without any problem.

We leave in 39 days.

Just get an ID from DMV... without it she can be denied boarding. Carnival's rules specifically state state issued photo ID is REQUIRED.

They'll confiscate it from her when she eventually gets her license.

This might be the rule in your state, but it's not necessarily true. I have several friends (in IL) that went and got the state ID when they received a ticket and had the license temporarily taken away. Or, they prefer to use the state ID to get in to bars instead of taking the license and possibly losing it. You can have both in IL.

As soon as I read these responses, I drove the the DMV and got her a state ID. The cost was only $10 and we'll get it in 7-10 business days. I also found her school ID.

Thank you soooo much for making me get off my butt and get it done!!

I have a 16 yr old son and after reading some postings on here took him and got his state i.d. It did cost $10.00 and we received it in about 10 days. Wanted to be safe just in case. I would have been so mad if we tried boarding and were denied.

We leave in 39 days.

If you do not have a passport you will need for anyone 16 and older a valid DL or ID card along with a birth certificate. This is for specific cruises, closed loop and the such.

Also be aware that you will need to carry her photo id into port as well.

Our son is 18, he dord not have a driver's licence because of his autism.

We had a school id (with a photo) that we used. We have had to show it many times in ports when he turned 16.

NOW he has the Passport CARD ... which I LOVE!!!

This might be the rule in your state, but it's not necessarily true. I have several friends (in IL) that went and got the state ID when they received a ticket and had the license temporarily taken away. Or, they prefer to use the state ID to get in to bars instead of taking the license and possibly losing it. You can have both in IL.

Interesting. I know in both Jersey and PA they confiscate when you move from a footie ID to a driver's license so you can't go and sell off the footie ID to an underage kid. I know they carry the license number over from one ID to the other though.

We leave in 39 days.

Does she have a school ID? Maybe that would work. If it were me, I would call the 800 number - wouldn't want to jeopardize here getting on the ship.

We leave in 39 days.

Yes, she needs one if she does not have a passport. She can get a state issued ID.

• 2 weeks later...
As soon as I read these responses, I drove the the DMV and got her a state ID. The cost was only $10 and we'll get it in 7-10 business days. I also found her school ID.

Thank you soooo much for making me get off my butt and get it done!!

REMEMBER : Her new picture ID MUST be accompanied by an ORIGINAL Birth Certificate or a Certified Copy (NOT just a xerox)

This is to prove citizenship when you are re-entering the USA. (something I assume is important to you)

And this applies ONLY if you are on a Closed-Loop cruise (leaving from a US port and returning to the SAME port)

If your cruise is anything other than this she will need a Passport or Passport Card ! The card is cheaper but is only good for cruising the Caribbean or driving to & from Canada & Mexico. The Card is NOT good for flying.

And 16 is the cut off date for needing Adult documentation. if she were 15 and 50 weeks the regulations are different. But once you turn 16 Homeland Security and DOS require the same paperwork for everybody, e.g. Passport or Passport Card. The latter of which is only useable for Land or Sea travel in North America. (no Air)

I'm glad the poster got the photo id - it is good for kids to have. My son has one (got it when he was 12) He had misplaced so he did not have to fly to Florida with Grandma and the airlines questioned his age even though it is part of the reservation process to enter the child's age. They questioned him on how old he was. (His actual birthday was on the ticket even) They wanted an id and he was 12. Now at 13 he looks closer to 15 but not 16.

His best friend at 13 looks about 18 - he has a 21 year old brother and most people think they are closer to the same age. (He was 6 foot in 5th grade!)

Archived