Please Don't Crusify Me, But Where Does NCL States This...

sc425

Understood, but I would think the tips are divided somewhat similiar.

Again the only question I am asking, Is the butler(not the concierge) included in your room rate?

no only access to them is included. The butler is paid only a nominal salary(of about $100 per month) plus room and board , medical and transportation(if they complete the contract)., They mostly relie exclusively on tips.

Same for the concierge.

Should it be included? They probably would say no as they generally earn more as tips than a salary. people who mostly use them are generous mostly.....except for a few low life stiffers.

I would have bet dollars to doughnuts that RCCL started charging a while back for room service delivery for late night hours. Like 11PM to 5AM or something like that. Anyone else remember hearing about that?

Do you want the dollars or the doughnuts?:) You're correct, they did start charging a set fee from 1-5. They found that 1-5 was the time kids were mostly to oder and in many cases it was unnecessary. Some were placing orders over and over again simply because they could. Also, they were not tipping.

Since Princess seems to be charging only for pizza (prime teenage food), they may be doing the same thing.

Before any parents call foul, there are parents out there who do not keep an eye on what their children are up to, and those unsupervised are the ones spoiling it for others. And please, I am not putting the blame only on kids, but I'm sure the cruise lines have done studies to know who is ordering when.

I agree with you Phone Goddess. I was so shocked by this statement that I asked on the Princess boards if there was a new charge for room service. Just the pizza charge. Must of been a mistake, or it was for special beverages.

Actually I woke up early and thought to myself , what goofy crap can I come up with to make Princess look bad.

Im telling you there was a charge " room service $3.00 "

on the bill in three different locations.

If the all seeing and knowing say it's impoosible , so be it. Becuase we all know that I would be the first person to get a funky charge on a sail and sign bill . My guess is they thought ,whats another $9, on a $1900 tab.

Oh well enough energy wasted on this life altering event;)

and they could make you a crappy drink. Not a good idea not to cheat the man that is making your drinks.

now that's the most sensible thing anyone's said in this thread today!

amen!:d

I followed that link posted earlier in this thread (much earlier ;)) and found this bit of info on NCL's site:

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

One thing to keep in mind is that some crew members are employees, and that other staff members are consessions.

The crew members (employess) get paid differently than the staff members (consession).

Bar, Spa, Shopping, etc, are all consessions, and not really part of the corporate owned ship.

Waiters, Cabin Stewards, are Crew and are employed by the cruise line.

One thing to keep in mind is that some crew members are employees, and that other staff members are consessions.

The crew members (employess) get paid differently than the staff members (consession).

Bar, Spa, Shopping, etc, are all consessions, and not really part of the corporate owned ship.

Waiters, Cabin Stewards, are Crew and are employed by the cruise line.

I believe the bar staff works for the cruise line, not a concessionaire.

No matter how it is handled or what it is called, this is standard operating procedure on most cruise lines and it should be factored in as part of the cost of the cruise. The exception to this rule are a few upper end cruise lines where you are paying thousands more for your cruise from the get go, and on those lines there is no gratuity expected because the cost of the cruise was already high enough for the cruise line to pay their staff more to cover what passengers would pay in a gratuity (service charge) on the less expensive, mass market cruise lines.[/color][/b]

Janet LeBlanc

Greenville SC

Hi, Neighbor. I'm from Taylors. Kathy

Maybe it is on NCL, but not on the other lines I have been on. That's why the Wait Staff can't bring you liquor and the Bar staff can't bring you ice tea in the Dinning Room....

Everytime someone complains, they have to explain it all over again. :rolleyes:

Maybe it is on NCL, but not on the other lines I have been on. That's why the Wait Staff can't bring you liquor and the Bar staff can't bring you ice tea in the Dinning Room....

Everytime someone complains, they have to explain it all over again. :rolleyes:

I think that explanation is a bit convoluted...and perhaps even suffers from english not being the native language of most dining room and bar staffers. The bar wait staff is compensated from the tips generated by bar sales, while the dining room staff is compensated from the dining room tips, or in NCL's case the Daily Service Charge pool, which the bar staff does not partcipate in. They work in different divisions of the hotel department. Alcohol sales are the single most important component of a cruise's profitablility after the basic cruise fare , and I doubt too many cruise lines are going to leave something that critical to an outside vendor.

If you look at the photos or lists of the ship's officers, you'll see that the bar manager is an officer who reports to the food and beverage director, who reports to the hotel director (reporting lines could be slightly different in detail, but are substantively the same in structure). You'll also see that the spa and on board shop managers are not ship's officers, as they are employees of the concessionaire.

I think that explanation is a bit convoluted. The bar wait staff is compensated from the tips generated by bar sales, while the dining room staff is compensated from the dining room tips, or in NCL's case the Daily Service Charge pool, which the bar staff does not partcipate in. They work in different divisions of the hotel department. Alcohol sales are the single most important component of a cruise's profitablility after the basic cruise fare , and I doubt too many cruise lines are going to leave something that critical to an outside vendor.

If you look at the photos or lists of the ship's officers, you'll see that the bar manager is an officer who reports to the food and beverage director, who reports to the hotel director (reporting lines could be slightly different in detail, but are substantively the same in structure). You'll also see that the spa and on board shop managers are not ship's officers, as they are employees of the concessionaire.

I don't know how they do it on NCL. I'll find out next summer in the Med. ;)

\

I'm with you on this. I do not believe the bar staff are concessionaires on Celebrity or RCCL either and not any different than NCL. There may be reasons that we don't know about as to why one can't bring ice and one can't bring ice tea but I find it hard to believe they are concessionaires.

Actually I woke up early and thought to myself , what goofy crap can I come up with to make Princess look bad.

Im telling you there was a charge " room service $3.00 "

on the bill in three different locations.

If the all seeing and knowing say it's impoosible , so be it. Becuase we all know that I would be the first person to get a funky charge on a sail and sign bill . My guess is they thought ,whats another $9, on a $1900 tab.

Oh well enough energy wasted on this life altering event;)

I'm so sorry if you misunderstood me, but I never thought that you had made anything up. I believe that I even said that it must have been a mistake. I meant that it was a mistake on Princess' part, not yours. :)

Bar staff is employed by the cruise line. They might have certain rules about who can sell what drink in certain locations because of pay reasons. This way a waiter getting service charges cant also go around the pool and push drinks, taking away the bar tenders money.

Bar staff is employed by the cruise line. They might have certain rules about who can sell what drink in certain locations because of pay reasons. This way a waiter getting service charges cant also go around the pool and push drinks, taking away the bar tenders money.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Archived