Artemis in Norway, almost live

capnpugwash

Artemis goes to Norway.

We left Southampton on Thursday july 30 2009 for a 14 night cruise in Norway. I had seen the itinerary but as usual had no idea where we were headed, other than the North Cape. For those who like me are geographically challenged, I will explain that this is the bit right at the top of Norway, just under Iceland.

We had a nice send off and the weather was fair. The first evening was light seas and fairly smooth so dinner was full and very pleasant. We were allocated a table of 8 which was our 4 and 4 others. We try never to eat with our children (21 and 24) on board and they normally have a first sitting unlike us. I managed to move them and we had dinner as a six, really more like a four and a two as the others had travelled together in the past and only had conversation for each other. So we moved to another eight seater the following night where we have been for three nights. I am sorry but we have to move again, nice people but all very quiet and no conversation at all. One gent has a dodgy hearing aid so he can't hear, why wouldn't you get the bloody thing fixed before you came away. Everyone is really charming but the table lacks any spark whatsoever.

Thus far we have visited Stavanger and Molde, not much in Stavanger but Molde is beautiful. The view across the lake to the 20-odd mountains is stunning. Today we are at Trondheim and there is a £6 shuttle bus to the town. Normally the local Chamber of Commerce sponsor these buses but have not done so this time. Not sure if they don't want our money, but just in case it will stay firmly in my pocket. Weather today is grey and 22C, whereas yesterday was sunny most of the day. Can't complain at these temperatures.

More to follow.

What is the world coming to. On Artemis the wifi is fairly limited in that it only works in the Cyberstudy on Deck 3 and on a good day, in the Tiffany lounge immediately outside and next door. So I am sat there picking up emails and the phone rang. Not the ships phone but the cellphone of some 50 something who was sitting at one of the computers. Well he takes the call and sits there loud as you like chatting to his son, telling him that he is on a cruise and has gone to Norway; obviously a nice close family.. he hangs up. Anyway not ten minutes later it rings again and he takes it, “Hello chuck, how are you”, “Oh she has had the baby, great news”. I found myself saying in a loud voice, “Do you mind not using that instrument in here, disturbing the peace and quiet of all these good folk”. Bless me, but it only worked. He was up like a long dog and outside in the passageway still chatting away. I am pleased to report that the baby and mother are fit and well, and the daughter was just around 8lbs. Being Mr Grumpy obviously works.

I woke early this morning as the sun rose at around 5am and the view was stunning, the sun was a scarlet orb in a cloudless light blue sky and the effect was to turn the sides of the fjords crimson. I remembered that a friend of mine who you may know, Penny Attwell is on her way to Norway on her favourite ship, the QM2. She is very excited as she is heading home being of Norwegian heritage. I hope that she enjoys the scenery asmuch. It is good to be alive and the mornings arer great

I had hoped to see the midnight sun but I learned yesterday that it finishes on July 27th approximately, so we are a week late. Pity but not the end of the world.

We have moved tables again as we are sick of having to drive every conversation and the alternative is to sit in silence through the dinner. A great shame but the social aspect is important to Mrs P and I.

We have a sea day today as we head up to the top of the world, the sea has been absolutely glass like for the last 24 hours and that looks set to continue. I like a bit more chop in the sea but the older passengers on the Arthritis would kill me for saying it. And you don't need to have them on your case.

More to follow.

We have moved tables again as we are sick of having to drive every conversation and the alternative is to sit in silence through the dinner. A great shame but the social aspect is important to Mrs P and I.

Capn,

With the rollicking reception you are getting hereabouts, you may want to consider moving boards with this thread!:D

Hope your voyage on MV Arthritis continues to satisfy.;)

I'm finding it fascinating, especially the bit about the tablemates. For the first time ever we had exactly the same thing on Balmoral - utterly charming, but very hard work. After two weeks of trying to keep the conversation going, we were absolutely shattered and needed a holiday: pity we didn't have the sense to swap tables.

Mary

Have I read this right, Pugwash has swapped tables three times in five nights. I don't think he gave the two couples much of a chance on the first night, nor the last table. I don't think you can judge anybody on one evening meal, especially if your joining as newcomers.

Have I read this right, Pugwash has swapped tables three times in five nights. I don't think he gave the two couples much of a chance on the first night, nor the last table. I don't think you can judge anybody on one evening meal, especially if your joining as newcomers.

You weren't one of the ex-tablemates, were you?:D

Sir Martin

It seems they ether talk too much or not enough.

Interesting observation, but yapping on a cell phone in the computer room and silence at dinner would seem equally unsettling, no? I would tend to agree with the Capn, although I think I might be a bit too timid to move so quickly. Although if someone won't help carry a conversation on the first meeting, it's not likely it will improve, I find.

I don't think he gave the first table enough of a chance, the two couples who knew each other. Pugwash could have regaled them with his endless cruiseing stories, maybe that's what leads to the silent treatment.

Stopgo

Where have you been? Its been ages since you were on here? Not been on a cruise by anychance?

I have, went on Equinox last Monday for a couple of nights, and very nice it was too.:D

Capt. I'm off to the Fjords in a few weeks time (3 1/2 to be exact) surprised you didn't find much to do it Stavanger? I was told the village is nice to walk around, but am planning a boat trip to Pulpit rock and Lysefjord in the afternoon, so that should be enough to occupy us.

Enjoy Artemis

Sue :)

Has P&O dinner turned into some kind of speed dating excercise what with all this table changing!!!

Just joking!

Glad you had the sense to move tableS. Good on you!

I would have wanted to do the same but wouldn't have been gutsy enough.

Let us have the next instalment ASAP please - this is the most interesting post on CC for ages!

Caryl

Stopgo

Where have you been? Its been ages since you were on here? Not been on a cruise by anychance?

I have, went on Equinox last Monday for a couple of nights, and very nice it was too.:D

I'm been here all the time, just not posting. I didn't find anything of interest to coment on, until Pugwash posted about is dinning room adventures, and your radical solution to smoking on the balcony.

Has P&O dinner turned into some kind of speed dating excercise what with all this table changing!!!

Just joking!

Glad you had the sense to move tableS. Good on you!

I would have wanted to do the same but wouldn't have been gutsy enough.

Let us have the next instalment ASAP please - this is the most interesting post on CC for ages!

Caryl

I agree about the most interesting post post in ages. To move tables so much in such a short space of time is to my mind astonishing. I can't believe on a table of eight with three other couples that it would be so difficult to have an enjoyable dining experience. If I was there and my dining companions changed tables after just one evening I would be mightly offended. One has to ask if Ex Captain Pugwash is so choosy, then maybe he would be better off freedom dining. So many unanswered questions why go on holiday with your children and then banish them not to just another table but another sitting.

I agree. Last time we were on Artemis, there were 4 of us and four others. We weren't particularly stimulated by the other four, but certainly wouldn't have changed tables. I mean it's only 2 hours out of your day, so who cares!

" I mean it's only 2 hours out of your day, so who cares"

:eek:

Well I certainly would care. Enjoyment of the formal dining is a very important part of the cruise for us.

Caryl

You can't judge anybody on one two hour evening meal.

Especially if they say nothing and give you no chance to have any human interaction with them.:D

They have to be given a chance to get a word in edgewise, maybe Pugwash was off form on the first night, and too tired to join in with the young couples. Or maybe they were not interested in his adventures on the high seas.

They have to be given a chance to get a word in edgewise, maybe Pugwash was off form on the first night, and too tired to join in with the young couples. Or maybe they were not interested in his adventures on the high seas.

No need for all these maybes, since the good Capn has reported first-hand what actually happened. Tablemates were either 1) not interested in talking with others or 2) not interested in talking at all. I think we should take him at his word. As for being off form, I can't possibly imagine! And I have no doubt that the Capn and Mrs. Capn have a wide range of topics for dinner-table conversation and are quite gracious at allowing the talking stick to be passed around the table!;)

Now, where's our next dispatch?!?

Pugwash as only given us the bare facts, there is no indication to what his state of mind was at that all important first evening meal. I remain firm and true in my belief that one evening meal is not enough to form an opinion.

Ah well...... methinks the good captain has found a decent table at last - even made such good friends with his tablemates that he's meeting up with them through the day for drinks.

That's why he hasn't posted another instalment!

Lets hope so anyway.:)

Caryl

If I was there and my dining companions changed tables after just one evening I would be mightly offended.

Something tells me you are going to be offended within the next cruise or two!!

:rolleyes:

Archived