Artemis in Norway, almost live

capnpugwash

Bergen was quite pretty, lots of painted houses and quite a bustling port with lots of little craft running about dodging the large catamaran ferries going to some unpronouncable destination. It gives you a lift to see the hustle and bustle of life going on. I spooted the bar that we used togo to when I came here on business but it was on the other side of the harbour inlet and I couldn't find an easy way to cross. Thakfully, it probably saved me a fortune and a headache, quite possibly an argument. Aquavit is an acquired taste, rather like a blend of petrol and vodka.

Carol Marlow, the new head honcho od P&O came on board and we had a nice chat for ten minutes in Tiffany's. She is quite young, petite and very pleasant. All you would expect her to be. She was concerned and conciliatory where necessary and made all the right noises. She is working her way through the 6 ships by autumn and intends to re-visit them at least twice a year. She has lovely dark brown eyes and likes dogs – she gets my vote.

We sailed this afternoon at around 5pm for our leisurely cruise to Eidfjord. The sea was calm and there was a slight breeze overnight.

This morning we are sailing up the fjord and it is a real one with high cliffs and grey granite outcrops, I bet if I look hard enough there will be a waterfall. I just saw a small fish jumping out of the water so I guess that it is very cold in there. It really reminds me of the highlands of Scotland crossed with the Lake District. Fantastic day ahead.

It is our last formal night, tonight. Unusual to have it on a port day but tomorrow is our last sea day and our last day so they can't hold it then as all the finery is going to be packed ready to disembark on Thursday. I don't like the last couple of days of holidays but I suppose all good things must come to an end and it it the same whether you have been on board here or surfing in St Ives. It doesn't help me though to be waxing philosophical at this time of the morning.

There is nothing in town according to the tour advisor/seller except a hotel and a sharp blind bend on the road. She recommends the coffee in the hotel and to be careful on the road. She especially recommends not standing in the middle of the road. We must have the Great Britain Lemming Society on board and I haven't noticed the constant flow of them over the stern rail.

I don't know what the advisor wants from a little town such as Eidfjord, there were flowers, smiling people and welcoming signs. There wasn't a cathedral or a museum, thank heavens. There was just this beautiful town nestled at the end of a 60 mile fjord with almost vertical sides and waterfalls and all that I have awaited from Norway. It doesn't get better than this in my view. There was even the little road train to take the weary around the town and surrounding area. It was only 70 Krona eah which translates to £7. See how after a while the overcharging becomes acceptable. The pity was that what once would have been a painted wooden train is now solid plastic. That is progress.

We sailed at 3.30pm, which coincided with the start of the Chocaholics Feast, I am proud to say that I avoided the event, not that I dislike chocolate but Ihate to see grow people carrying plates so overladen with food that they can never hope to eat it all. If they did succeed they would surely have such a sugar high as to induce a stroke. So I went up to Horizon's and was introduced to the Nintendo Wii and a bowling type game. What a fun machine it is, being a man I was obviously rubbish at it, my legendary hand – eye co-ordination has not improved as my eyes have worsened. It is something that I accept although not easy when your kids laugh at your pathetic efforts. I retreated to the safety of the Conservatory for a restorative cup of tea and a toasted bun. For you Americans I assure you that is a type of fruit teacake. Next and after a 3 hour sail in sunshine down the fjord we hit open sea and we are now steaming at full speed at 21 knots.

We are due at the Mayflower Terminal tomorrow at 3am for some reason, to do with tides. So today is packing and all that stuff, people ddesperately trying to finish the library books that they have borrowed and others whingeing at the Reception Desk about their accounts and why their discount hasn't been applied to on board credit, A perpetual problem not unlike the offside rule in soccer.

So let me wrap up my thoughts and impressions. The ship is still one of my favourites in spite of the noisy engines and the resultant throbbing throughout the restaurant and some of the public rooms, and the tired and worn upholstery in Tiffany's. There is ship talk that a £5m refit has been postponed because of the current global financial situation. I don't know how true it is, I somehow can't believe that they would do that as the needs are so evident, but what do I know? One small matter is the fact that the UK or US News sheet is no longer delivered each evening for some reason which I imagine is economic, iinstead one can go to the library and collect one each morning, I do advise you to shop early as they certainly don't prepare one for each passenger. A great shame as I used to enjoy reading it in bed in the evening and having a crack at the crossword ans sudoku. The food has been perfectly adequate although sometimes not great, and our various waiters have bent over backwards to ensure our satisfaction – whether with a large portion of the main course or a taste of the sorbet after the crème brulee. The table and bar waiters work from 6.30 or 7am until 11pm or later every day with just a 3 hour afternoon break. I know why they do it but I can't understand how they do it. So please consider an extra little tip to a few individuals. It makes such a difference to them at such a little overall cost to you. You might say that it is none of my business, that I accept but it won't stop me asking. :-))

As a destination we were disappointed with most of this area of Norway, the towns are small and industrial and apart from Tromso and Eidfjord they seem to be at the end of low hilled fjords. The North Cape was a disappointment in that it lacked the grandeur and majesty that we expected. It would probably be better in the teeth of a gale with massive waves crashing over it.

That we must bear some responsibility is fair as I did no real homework on the places that we would be visiting.

Norway is a very expensive country with at least $5/£3.50 for a coffee, I know from previous visits that alcohol is also pricey. There are a limited number of destinations that one can sail to from Southampton or the UK Ports so I cannot say that we won't visit Norway again but I will say that we won't come this far north in the country again, but please don't let me put you off as the one thing that I learned over the years is that one man's meat is often another man's poison and ten people on the same cruise will each tell you a different story. It is human nature, isn't it.

Many thanks to you all for reading and commening on my musings.

Cap'n. Very interesting to read your review and glad to hear you don't appear to have an engine problem apart from the usual throb!

I am interesting to know how easy it was to change tables. Is the ship not full?

I have spoken to some others who tell me that there is/was a problem and one of the engines needed re-somethinged. Not clear what it is or whether it was done.

The ship is full but apparently there are always spaces that the terminally picky and intolerant can go. Strangely Stopgo we hit it off immediately with our present tablemates, well within 2 hours. I think the problem may lie with you but if we do ever share a table feel free to move :)

I have spoken to some others who tell me that there is/was a problem and one of the engines needed re-somethinged. Not clear what it is or whether it was done.

The ship is full but apparently there are always spaces that the terminally picky and intolerant can go. Strangely Stopgo we hit it off immediately with our present tablemates, well within 2 hours. I think the problem may lie with you but if we do ever share a table feel free to move :)

I'm glad you found suitable companions on your fourth atempt, the odds were in you favour have to four goes. I don't dither though so that's a plus on my side, though I do try to be understanding when people have mobilty problems.

Hi Captain, thoroughly enjoyed your review, although am disappointed for you that your ports were none to impressive. We did a similar cruise on the QM2 a couple of years ago and the only port which was the same as yours was Bergen, where we took in a walk up the hills and were rewarded with astounding views, for someone who does not particulary get excited at the prospect of hillwalking, I was so pleased that we did this.

I'm glad that you have not dismissed Norway again in the future, there really are some marvellous places to go and see, hopefully, you will find yourself there again one day.

I hope that the newspaper comes back very soon for our next cruise, which unfortunately has yet to be booked :(.

Jenni

how are you expected to manage without a newspaper Its a small price to pay in order to make the most of your holiday. You watch they will bring it back with a small charge thrown in for good measure

The paper is still available -they just stopped delivering to every cabin. It's available at reception or the library.

If they run out then they just go and photocopy some more.

That was how it was on Oceana recently.

Caryl

There was no daily newspapers delivered on Oriana either on my 9n Canaries cruise in May, although copies were available in Tiffanys bar and at reception, probably other places around the ship as well. Must be another cost cutting exercise for the whole fleet. We didn't really miss it, so depressing to read about gloomy weary UK when on holiday, I'm pleased to get away and forget about it for a week or two.

A shame you didn't enjoy the ports, most people love Norway, and say its their favourite cruise,

I'm going to Bergen, Alesund, Stavenger and Olden in a fortnight. Have 2 trips planned - a glacier walk and pulpit rock with a boat trip,

Looking forward to it

Sue, Alesund was so lovely when we were there, it was the best reception laid out for us, local dancers on the quayside doing their thing and when we left, we sailed our to the National Anthem and Vera Lynn's "We'll meet again" - quite touching!! Lots of fireboats and others boats in the farewell flotilla too! If you can take a trip up the view point, the views there are breathtaking - the photographs of QM2 in port next to the little coloured houses still give me goosbumps!

Make sure you up on the top decks when leaving Bergen, that bridge was fairly close to the top of the funnel on the QM2!

We also went for a jaunt down the fjord down to the pulpit rock, it wasnt the best weather that day, but the scenery - stunning!

Have a fantastic cruise!!

Jenni

(Sorry for going off-topic!)

I'm glad you found suitable companions on your fourth atempt, the odds were in you favour have to four goes. I don't dither though so that's a plus on my side, though I do try to be understanding when people have mobilty problems.

Just to clarify, we had table A, from which we moved to table B. We then moved to table C where we stayed. That is three tries not four.

Should you not capitalize your name as St Opgo?

I am a mere mortal and whilst I try to be understanding it is still worthy of comment.

We went to Alesund and Olden 3 years ago and they were great, that really added to our disappointment this time. Anyway home now and unpacking. Saint Opgo, you are right as always when you say that I like it delivered, I don't like any lessening of standards, call me old fashioned if you like.

Just to clarify, we had table A, from which we moved to table B. We then moved to table C where we stayed. That is three tries not four.

Should you not capitalize your name as St Opgo?

I am a mere mortal and whilst I try to be understanding it is still worthy of comment.

Reclarify for me ? table A, the two couples who had cruised together before, table B, the party that had the person who had trouble with his hearing aid, table C, the table where they were nice but you were fed up of driving the conversation, so you moved to table D, where you stayed for the rest of your cruise ? To me that's four tables and four moves especially has your orignal table was with the children.

I still don't understand why pokeing fun at a lack of mobilty due ether to illness, disabilty, or advancing years is worthy of coment.

Reclarify for me ? table A, the two couples who had cruised together before, table B, the party that had the person who had trouble with his hearing aid, table C, the table where they were nice but you were fed up of driving the conversation, so you moved to table D, where you stayed for the rest of your cruise ? To me that's four tables and four moves especially has your orignal table was with the children.

I still don't understand why pokeing fun at a lack of mobilty due ether to illness, disabilty, or advancing years is worthy of coment.

You are making up a table, in your scenario tables b and c are the same. Opening or starting conversation is not an interrogation, we would have sat in absolute silence had we not tried to start conversation. I don't understand why you fail to grasp this most simple thing.

You are making up a table, in your scenario tables b and c are the same. Opening or starting conversation is not an interrogation, we would have sat in absolute silence had we not tried to start conversation. I don't understand why you fail to grasp this most simple thing.

Well it certainy doesn't read like that on your orginal two posts. Post 1 mentions moving from the person with the hearing aid. Post 2 the following day mentions were having to move again " as we are fed up of driving the conversation " How ever you dress it up and according to your O/P your original table was with the children, which you moved to the table with the two couples. So however you splice and dice it, still comes to four tables.

capnpugwash, can I offer some friendly advice?

There is no requirement for you to explain yourself to Mrs. Stropgo, she is constantly trying to find faults with members posts and really does not add any value to this site. She has been absent for a few months and it has been bliss but unfortunately something has made her return.

Personally I reckon Sir Martin and Mary have begged her to come back!

It is easy to say but probably the easiest way to deal with trolls is to just ignore them and then they have nothing to feed on.

Cheers

Gerry

Just trying to clarify a point, if I have got it wrong then I will be first to admit it.

Then Stop Going on about the table count. You are calling Capn senile, a liar or both!

And as to the suggestion that he was slandering the mobility impaired, here is the quote (emphasis added):

"When the lift doors open – they dither getting on or out, as the get to the stairs – they dither, as though some mighty force is going to lift them up and transport them up or down the flight, when ordering coffee, when selecting the correct piece of lettuce in the Conservatory, when choosing a seat in the theatre – they dither. And before you accuse me of ageism, I assure you that this is not an age thing, it is an attitude. Maybe they have never needed to make decisions, I wish they would learn to do so."

I know precisely what he means. These are the same idiots who board the bus and stop at the doorway and start fumbling about in their purse for change or their ticket...the same who find the narrowest section of passageway and decide to stop and adjust their outfit...the same who exit the gangway and stop and look at a map...in a world of their own without a care for their fellow man...like the people who sit down at a table on a cruise ship and proceed to a silent meal as that is what they do at home...

Calm down SeamatesNYC, I am only reflecting on what he has posted. Capt Pugwash is crystal clear in his views, when posted these opinions become open to public view and debate. Then it's up to individuals to agree or disagree.

Calm down SeamatesNYC, I am only reflecting on what he has posted. Capt Pugwash is crystal clear in his views, when posted these opinions become open to public view and debate. Then it's up to individuals to agree or disagree.

I am well aware that you have the right to criticize Capn's choice to move tables and I grant you, the opening post does get a bit convoluted about how many tables he had been on, but above, you were "debating" with him as to how many tables he was on for the trip.

Perhaps you did not see it as that and that you were simply debating whether or not the words he wrote could lead to your conclusion that it was 4, not 3. However, to keep the "debate" alive after the good man has stated definitively that it was 3 is just rude, I believe. I think you owe him an apology.

Further, you have suggested that he is insentive to the mobility impaired. This too, I believe, is a figment of your imagination and your ascribing this view to him also warrants your making amends, in my opinion.

Please don't get me wrong. I do often enjoy your "stirring the pot" on this board and visit here to see if any spark has resulted in something other than the usual discussions. But this time you have gone too far, even for me, who quite enjoys a bit of fracas, if good-natured and not overly personal.

It may just be me, but you seem to have taken a harsh attitude towards the Capn and I am very puzzled by it. Perhaps you have been one too many time on the receiving end of people leaving your table while on a cruise? If you treat your fellow passengers in the manner you have treated the Capn, it's no wonder they stop, then go! Or perhaps you stop in doorways, then go when you have made up your mind?

Stropgo (or St Opgo, good one Capn). Calm down and GET BACK IN YOUR STRAITJACKET.

Nurse Martin

Padded Cell Wing

Archived