Artemis in Norway, almost live

capnpugwash

Sue, Alesund was so lovely when we were there, it was the best reception laid out for us, local dancers on the quayside doing their thing and when we left, we sailed our to the National Anthem and Vera Lynn's "We'll meet again" - quite touching!! Lots of fireboats and others boats in the farewell flotilla too! If you can take a trip up the view point, the views there are breathtaking - the photographs of QM2 in port next to the little coloured houses still give me goosbumps!

Make sure you up on the top decks when leaving Bergen, that bridge was fairly close to the top of the funnel on the QM2!

We also went for a jaunt down the fjord down to the pulpit rock, it wasnt the best weather that day, but the scenery - stunning!

Have a fantastic cruise!!

Jenni

(Sorry for going off-topic!)

Thanks Jenni

I'm doing the walk upto Briksdal Glacier - a hour or so each way, purchased a hiking stick today LOL, and a fleece. Have you done this one? To see the 'blue ice?'

Hi Sue,

No, unfortunately, I havent done this trip, but Paul and my father did the trip from Hellesylt to Geiranger (which in my humble opinion is the most beautiful place in the world!), and they went by a glacier or two, but looking at the excursion brochure for that cruise (yes I'm that sad that I've kept them (OCD and all that)) and it doesnt look like that glacier was part of their trip, although it was in the same Jostedalsbreen National Park.

Have you any excursions planned for Alesund or anything on your own? If you have the opportunity to drive to Giske & Godoy, its not far by road, but the little islands you visit, whilst there is not much there, again, such stuning and serene scenery!! I've got some photos to put on-line for you, but being at the end of the broadband connection, its a bad link!! I'll try for you though!

Jenni

(I'm doing the walk upto Briksdal Glacier - a hour or so each way, purchased a hiking stick today LOL, and a fleece. Have you done this one? To see the 'blue ice?')

Hi Sue

My wife and I went to the Briksdal Glacier a few years ago and it was one of the best excursions we have ever been on. You could ride to the glacier in a horse and carriage or walk whih we did and found very rewarding.

We loved Alesund too and can recommend a trip to the aquariam / sea life centre which is easy to get to by local bus (or a long walk).

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Damian

Dear Capn

Thank you and congratulations on a superb blog. My wife and I were also on this cruise and reading this has left us both nodding and smiling throughout. In particular we loved your reference to the oil-like appearance of the sea and the ditherers - boy was this cruise full of them!

My wife thoroughly researched all the ports so we found plenty to do except for Honingsvaag and Lofoten Islands where we took some largely disappointing excursions. Fortunately we hit upon a Viking Festival on one of them which made it far more interesting but that was just luck and nothing to do with the planning (maybe P&O would have charged more if they had known).

By chance Carol Marlow sat at our table one lunchtime and we found her to be very personable and charming too. She was certainly keen to hear our views and listen to some of our stories and was a great table companion.

I think that overall we would take this cruise again in future as there's still things to see and do that we missed. The Atlantic Highway from Molde was recommended to us by one passenger and I was terribly dissappointed to find from another that we missed out on the Tirpitz museum in Tromso.

All the best

Damian

Young couples? Not many of those around - and I was on the same cruise. But I agree, if the other diners are duds, move away asap. My gripe is about those people who didn't appear in Coral Restaurant for the final dinner. I'm newish to cruising, but is this the norm? Surely it can't be that they were too mean to reward the excellent service we received with a tip? Or maybe it was that an unusually high number felt off-colour that night?

I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread, it was a very interesting topic that created a massive amount of interest, with over 1,400 views over a short period of time. Most of all I would like to thank the good Captain Pugwash who's posts and views were paramount to the success of this thread.

Archived