Any suggestions for DIY "excursion" in Key West

Lil Davy

We are planning on taking our kids to Fort Zachary state park. My kids are looking forward to exploring the fort.

We have never been there, but are looking forward to it.

The beach there is very rocky so be sure to take water shoes if you plan to swim or wade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not us Janey; Key West is our first stop after boarding in Ft. Lauderdale. No need for customs review.

Phillip, I've never had an issue bringing home nuts, coffee beans, rum cakes, etc. It's fruits and vegetables and liquor/wines (must be claimed) you might have an issue with.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Key West with our 12 yr old son and 6 yr old dtr next March. Is it do-able to do the trolley tour (on-and-off) and then make it to the Hemingway house then to the Fort? I know we will be in port time wise but do you think it is do-able (distance wise, walking with possibly whiny kids etc)

We will be in Key West with our 12 yr old son and 6 yr old dtr next March. Is it do-able to do the trolley tour (on-and-off) and then make it to the Hemingway house then to the Fort? I know we will be in port time wise but do you think it is do-able (distance wise, walking with possibly whiny kids etc)

Stop trolley stop 5 is the Bahama Village, the Hemingway house, and the Lighthouse. The Bahama Village is on the corner of Whitehead and Petronia, and Hemingway's house is a block and 1/2 south just past Olivia at 907 Whitehead. After the Hemingway tour you can walk back north past Olivia, Petronia, Angela, then make a left on Southard to get to the entrance to the park and Fort Zachery Taylor.

Pjk

Stop trolley stop 5 is the Bahama Village, the Hemingway house, and the Lighthouse. The Bahama Village is on the corner of Whitehead and Petronia, and Hemingway's house is a block and 1/2 south just past Olivia at 907 Whitehead. After the Hemingway tour you can walk back north past Olivia, Petronia, Angela, then make a left on Southard to get to the entrance to the park and Fort Zachery Taylor.

Pjk

Thanks so much. Sounds like it is an fairly easy trek for kids (especially reinforced with pie & cookies! :) )

• 3 weeks later...
Key West is a place made for walking. As others have said, also take the sightseeing tram. By the way, if you are "cat people," check out the Hemingway House, where the famous six-toed cats reside in luxury.

Has anyone attempted to count the number of toes to confirm this?

Well the answer to this question is yes. I did so one time with a sleeping cat. Big mistake. Cat woke up and scratched my arm beyond belief. Yeah-it was stupid. But what do you expect after scarfing down a handful of Pina Coladas? The wounds healed completely in two weeks.

Thought I would share.

PS. I did count six toes by the way.

LOL! :p

• 3 months later...

Archived