Any suggestions for DIY "excursion" in Key West

Lil Davy

My wife and I and also our 4 y/o daughter will be in Key West as part of our upcoming 4 nighter on the Majesty. We really haven't found any of the excursions that really wowed us. Anyone have any suggestions for a DIY excursion that would be suitable for a 4 y/o attention span?

There is a little trolley that runs in a circuit up and down the main street. I saw lots of people on it and it looked fun (especially because it was very hot when we were there) It makes stops where you can get on and off. Have a frozen key lime pie on a stick and get your picture taken at the southernmost point.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Key-West/Key-West-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Trolley-Tour/d661-5046KEY_OTT?pref=02&aid=g1222

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/

Looks like children 4-12 get a discount. http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/rates-and-reservations.asp

The Old Town trolley is a really fun tour! Granted I didn't have any little ones, but it was a really fun, and informative way to see the city.

We got off on 3 stops. The 2 I remember are, the Blonde Giraffe for awesome key lime pie and key lime cookies that were Yum-O!!

The other was the southernmost point. It's a beautiful photo op.

The trolley picks up at each stop about every 15-20 minutes. Just remember to wear your trolley sticker, and keep your ticket.

The conch train is also another idea. I don't believe you can "hop on/hop off" but it might be fun for the 4 year old. Once it's over you can just walk around Mallory Square, Duval St., visit Mel Fisher's museum or go to the Hemmingway house. Lots to do there.

Key West is a place made for walking. As others have said, also take the sightseeing tram. By the way, if you are "cat people," check out the Hemingway House, where the famous six-toed cats reside in luxury.

There are some little kiosks right at the pier when you get off the ship. You can rent a 4-seat GEM car (electric powered golf cart type vehicle that is street legal w/ turn signals etc. and goes about 35 mph). The company's name slips my mind but they are very friendly and the rates can be negotiated. They have a free shuttle that will take you to their rental lot and you can grab one for the day. Its a perfect way to see all of key west. My wife and I drove around to all the different beaches and parks and stopped a restaurant to have some conch fritters. YOu can park them in normal parking spots and they drive just as easy as a small compact car. Very safe and the company I mentioned as all brand new updated cars. Have a great time.

With the Majesty cruise you are in Key West until 6 pm so you have lots of time to explore. Take the Old Towne Trolley - you can get off and on. Then find the Butterfly Conservatory. Perfect place for a 4 year old.

Walking that area from the ship, the main street and the last mile to the southernmost tip of USA is a great way to explore Key West and see all kinds of neat little things that the trolleys and such tend to miss. BUT, if you have a 4 year old... I would definately go with the trolley. They cover pretty much all the must sees, and its very convenient.

:)

There are some little kiosks right at the pier when you get off the ship. You can rent a 4-seat GEM car (electric powered golf cart type vehicle that is street legal w/ turn signals etc. and goes about 35 mph). The company's name slips my mind but they are very friendly and the rates can be negotiated. They have a free shuttle that will take you to their rental lot and you can grab one for the day. Its a perfect way to see all of key west. My wife and I drove around to all the different beaches and parks and stopped a restaurant to have some conch fritters. YOu can park them in normal parking spots and they drive just as easy as a small compact car. Very safe and the company I mentioned as all brand new updated cars. Have a great time.

The GEM car sounds pretty cool, but with a 4 y/o, I bet I'd need some sort of child seat. I wonder if they supply them. I wouldn't think so due to liability.

Not sure about the excursions, but there's a couple great shops on Duval street that have key lime pie and key lime pecans. The key lime pecans make a great treat to take back home. Enjoy!

Now that sounds good. I'm gonna add that to the list that already includes some Salt Water taffy.:D

The first time we did Key West our kids were 4 and 6, we did the Fishermans Museum our little guy got a kick out of hearing about the pirates and there is a great view of the port and Key West from the top, then just across the street there is a small aquarium that has a hands on pool - again a big hit with both our kids.

We also did the Conch Train (can't remember if it was a hop on/off train) but if there is a hop on/off option definitly worth doing to give you a good tour.

When we were there in April we walked to the Southernmost point and did the Hemmingway house - both were quite a walk for our kids (now 9 and 11) so you might want to think about havng one of those umbrella strollers if this is what you want to do. Kids loved the Hemmingway house - DOZENS of cats.

Hope this helped.

When are you sailing? We will be on the 8/31 sailing minus the kids this time.

We went on the Glass Bottom Boat tour which is pretty much right there at the dock area and it was nice. Not too expensive.

You just go down to the dock where they are, see what time you want to go, buy tickets and come back and board.

Very Large boat with Inside seating / AC and you sit or stand comfortable around a huge long glass viewing port in the middle of the ship.

It's a Nice 20 min or so boat ride offshore out to the reefs and then you sort of slowly cruise along for 30 min or so over the reef

We saw all sorts of fish and stuff very easily.

Don't waste your money on the Ripley s museum IMO

To follow up on the Butterfly Conservatory - here is the website info - keywestbutterfly.com/conservatory.htm. We had one locally and all the kids loved it. If it is a similar set up they will also have birds in a separate area. The butterflies will land on you and little ones are always amazed. If you plan to visit - check first - I think the butterflies are more active in the morning.

Hemingway house is great for little ones also - they house won't mean much - but they will enjoy the cats. The chickens are also very popular with small ones.

One last thought - visit the Key West ports board.

Not for kids but be sure to make a quick stop at Kino sandels. Google it for address. It is very walkable from the pier. They make them right there and are really cheap (were $10) and I love them. Bought pairs for all my older kids when we were there. Leather and easy on the feet. Can't find them anywhere else except over the internet.

Another vote for the trolley tour. YOu can hop on/off as you like. The conch tour train does not let you on/off I believe. When my son was 6 we did this and did the butterfly conservatory and the Hemingway House with all the cats. He really enjoyed this and enjoyed Key West overall as well. So yes there are some things that kids will enjoy.;)

Key West is a place made for walking. As others have said, also take the sightseeing tram. By the way, if you are "cat people," check out the Hemingway House, where the famous six-toed cats reside in luxury.

Not six-toed cats.

Polydactyl cats.

Most have seven or eight on the front paws. :)

And here's another vote for the Butterfly Conservatory. I think that a four year old would love the Butterflies.

We did the trolley tour when were were in Key West last time but bought our tickets at Mallory Square at the trolley/train depot. I'm not sure that you can get off and on with the tickets through the cruise ship. Have fun!

Not sure about the excursions, but there's a couple great shops on Duval street that have key lime pie and key lime pecans. The key lime pecans make a great treat to take back home. Enjoy!

Can you "legally" take back those pecans through customs at the port of Miami? Even though you bought them in the U.S I don't think you can...

Archived