Can we talk cockroaches honestly?

skt4cruise

Hi...I'll comment, too. we have sailed Celebrity, Azamara and NCL twice and never seen a bug. But, a long time ago I lived in New Orleans and I had roaches. The older lady on the other side of me had them and they would spray and they would come and visit me. They are so hard to get rid of once you have them. You can bring them in in so many ways....:(

Its like grocery stores. They wax the floor to create the illusion there are no roaches and rats in their stores. But as my next door health inspector told me, every store sprays and has rat traps in their warehouses and under their shelves. He claims what brings the roaches the most are the sacks of potatoes....

From the answers on this board, your chance of seeing a bug is rare.

Remember that was the Century I was on, not NCL. You can see the other lines we have sailed with no bugs in sight. Sorry if I have upset you. I plan to look the other way and enjoy my cruise, even if.....

Haven't read the whole thread (sneaking here at work!) but we stayed in a Century suite on the Celebrity Century for my 50th birthday (sailed on 4/23/05) and we also had roaches on our balcony. Didn't notice them till 4th day of the cruise, and immediately spoke to my butler (and did not go outside for the remainder of that cruise). We left the cabin after notifying him, and by the time we returned about 2 hours later, our room reeked of bug spray. But I still saw them outside one other night.

I would imagine it's very hard to get rid of them short of closing and fumigating the entire ship (something that's not likely to happen).

On NCL, we've never had a problem (only aft balcony once......and it rained the entire cruise but we still enjoyed it!)

We booked an aft balcony on a Celebrity ship and had cockroaches coming down from deck above, which was an outside eatery. Every night the staff would spray up and the bugs came down. Ok fair enough if we kept our balcony door closed, like you are suppose to, they would not enter (maybe), but we wanted the sound of the sea for a couple of hours one night, from then on we had roaches all over.

Complained of course to housekeeping and everyone acted aghast that the little critters were on board.

Now we are ready to book another aft balcony, we've had balconys since without bugs, but they were not aft. Theory being they enter only in aft cabins from the food above. Looking at Gem this time, cabin 11654, DH refusing now to book because of waking up to roach on the phone (and no he did not use long distance) right next to DH nose.

So my question is, how many people have seen cockroaches on their ship?

Maybe I can convince DH the odds are with me?

Thanks......

ROFL @ he didn't use the long distance!!! :D Glad to see you getting the negative responses. I've never seen a roach on a cruise, but only had an aft balcony once and it was on the Dawn which does not have a food venue above, but we'll be in an aft on the Gem next May.

OMG... can't imagine worrying about packing these critters home in suitcases... the horror :(

Plus, we have an aft booked on Dawn in 6 weeks... UGH... never thought I'd be thinking about cockroaches before the cruise.

Don't worry, we were just in the aft bal on the Dawn, never saw any bugs.

Pat

roach s would definitely ruin my cruise..they advertise 5 star service..and roachs are not part of it..on land or sea..

im not afraid of them..but, im certainly not one to sleep with them much less dine with them..where you see one, there s a hundred hiding..

im not one to try get a adjustment..but, this is certainly an instance where id demand one..take pictures, lots of them..take one up to the captain..if they re concern d that you d report this to the port authorities or some health organization, they ll react..

i just feel very strongly about the issue of hospitality..

I hate to say it, but I'm thankful for this thread, as it has furthered my feeling that I dont need to spend extra on a balcony :D I'm freaked out more by the huge flying green bug than the cockroaches, though, as I feel that the chances are better for flying bugs than roaches.

I can say that my first time on the Spirit, June 08 out of NYC, there were a TON of little ants in the Bier Garten (outdoor bar/eating area), pretty much all week, I dont know if just no one noticed and no one said anything or maybe there was nothing they could do about it? Other than that, I've never THANKFULLY experienced any bugs on my cruises. It was kind of gross, but I'll take little ants over cockroaches anyday :p

Please be aware that it is possible to unknowingly bring roaches onboard yourself in corrugated cardboard. In many of the countries that you visit, roaches are everywhere...they seem to love corrugated cardboard, so if possible, don't bring any onboard in a tropical climate. Many times there sill be unhatched eggs in the cardboard, you won't see any adults in your cabin but might get a surprise when you get home if you keep the cardboard around.

They can also come aboard the same way when the ship stocks up in the embarcation port, but that cardboard is removed typically before they leave port.

We've never had a bug in any cabin. Sometimes debris comes down from higher decks when they're being washed. That lands on the balcony. Also, some careless passengers may throw some garbage down "accidentally", but that's it.

We've mentioned it to the cabin steward when it has happened, and the balcony was cleaned right away.

OMG!!! I have serious bug-phobia. That would have freaked me out beyond comprehension!!! ugh!!! I'm thankful that I've never encountered any bugs on any cruise (except for the mosquitoes and sand fleas on the private islands). But, never on a ship. I hope I never do, either...... gross!!!

We were on the Sapphire Princess. We boarded and we had side by side rooms with our friends. I opened my inside cabin door and I said "oh nice cabin", our friends opened their cabin door and turned the lights on and there were 2 huge roaches on the wall. Of course they killed them but later on in the night (1:00 AM) the babies started coming out of the drain of the tub, and they were awaken when the roaches were on their blanket on their bed. They called the purser and housekeeping was sent up. They all denied seeing any roaches on the ship. The following night knowing there were roaches in the room they could hardly sleep but turning off the light they tried to sleep and again awaken with roaches on their blankets and on the mirror of the vanity. Again they called the pursor to complain and this time they trapped a roach in their water glass to show housekeeping. In the morning they had asked for another room but the ship was full, but fortunately the next day two passengers had to disembark because of an emergency so our friends got their cabin. Let me tell you I have never smelled this much roach spray, since we were in the cabin next door it was so bad we saw them pull up all the carpets and spray the room twice before we got off our cruise. Trust me this is the first time I seen roaches in a cabin.

Never saw a cockroach, but one time, we were in bed almost asleep...I thought it was my wife's toenail, but when I threw the covers back, I could see buy the light the television, it was a cockroach...He flew off when I uncovered him and landed up near the top of the curtains, over the sliding door, the one that exits onto the deck:rolleyes:...Well I never saw that cockroach again, although I often wondered where he got on at and what his nationality was, they're interesting little creatures, but real nasty if you step on one!:eek:

See now, hasn't this been a fun thread?...... next week we sail away on the Crown, balcony, not aft!

In all fairness I do believe there are roaches on all ships. My plan of action is to get a cabin far away from all food areas. Stay high up. And make all my neighbors pass an exam before entering THEIR cabins:D

that should make me lots of friends.......

We stay in AFT (stern) cabins most of the time and on occasion under the outdoor eating area's . I have never seen a cockroach . I have to believe yours was an isolated incident . Try to put it out of your mind , you may never see another ( on a ship that is ) ;)

Happy sailing

I just wonder if the Century was going thru a "bad spell" since we both sailed in the aft cabins around the same time in 2005. Ours was just before a scheduled drydock, and I'm sure they fumigated her at that point.

But, lets face it, cockroaches happen. As someone else stated, they've been around since the time of the dinosaurs, and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. (unfortunately!)

You know, I had such a great time on my cruise.......it never occurred to me to request compensation for the cockroaches.

I've never seen a cockroach on any of my cruises ever. I always book a balcony but only once did an aft balcony & nope, never saw the little critters. In fact this is the very first time I've heard it even mentioned, lol. But if I did see one I would most likely freak out. :eek:.

I could have written the above post....that has been my experience as well, right down to the balcony cabin and having an aft once.

If I saw a roach on a ship it would really gross me out.

did you post this on the celebrity site? i'm sure that would ruffle some feathers. by the way, i've never seen any on ncl.

LMAO!! :D

How ironic. I have posted there 3x this morning...having a conversation with an X cruiser who feels 'above' the rest.

*sigh*

:rolleyes:

yes and on X they wear tuxedo's on formal night. ....

But, of course :D

I just wonder if the Century was going thru a "bad spell" since we both sailed in the aft cabins around the same time in 2005. Ours was just before a scheduled drydock, and I'm sure they fumigated her at that point.

But, lets face it, cockroaches happen. As someone else stated, they've been around since the time of the dinosaurs, and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. (unfortunately!)

You know, I had such a great time on my cruise.......it never occurred to me to request compensation for the cockroaches.

We didn't ask for any compensation either, we had a great cruise, butler and all, Barcelona is now my favorite city, good memories...but still, don't want to see those bugs every again!

oooo my hubby just reminded me that they DID give us a huge carryon like bag, real nice ..as a gift, perhaps it was to carry OFF the roaches:D

We booked an aft balcony on a Celebrity ship and had cockroaches coming down from deck above, which was an outside eatery. Every night the staff would spray up and the bugs came down. Ok fair enough if we kept our balcony door closed, like you are suppose to, they would not enter (maybe), but we wanted the sound of the sea for a couple of hours one night, from then on we had roaches all over.

Complained of course to housekeeping and everyone acted aghast that the little critters were on board.

Now we are ready to book another aft balcony, we've had balconys since without bugs, but they were not aft. Theory being they enter only in aft cabins from the food above. Looking at Gem this time, cabin 11654, DH refusing now to book because of waking up to roach on the phone (and no he did not use long distance) right next to DH nose.

So my question is, how many people have seen cockroaches on their ship?

Maybe I can convince DH the odds are with me?

Thanks......

I'm sure that is one thing that would surely freak me out. :mad: Enough to ruin the entire cruise. Fortunately, since 2003, we have NEVER seen any of the little critters on any of the ships. And, earlier this year on the Star, we had a stern cabin and didn't see any.

My family was in that exact same cabin in April and we didn't see any bugs at all. I did hear chair scrapping between 3 and 4 am each night when they were cleaning the Great Outdoors (but I'm a light sleeper). Also, the balconies on Deck 9 below were MUCH bigger, so you might want to look at a lower deck. We loved the ship and hope you have a great cruise!

Archived