Fight breaks out on the Dawn

prg2101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iCQE7ErP9M

Has anyone seen this video of a fight on the Dawn from

a few weeks ago....Just a disgrace that this type of thing

happens on cruises....It looks as if they are kids(teens) but

I cant really tell....This is why we dont cruise during times

where kids are out of school....:mad:..bad manners

On our last cruise (12/08), a fight broke out among two "adult" men in Le Bistro of all places! One was drunk and mouthy, the other was trying to get him to shut it, insults were flung, and the drunk mouthy guy received a mouth full of fist.

Some other suite guests filled us in on the whole drama while waiting for priority disembarkation and all I could picture was those tiny Eastern European ladies who work in Le Bistro trying to break up a fight! Poor dears!

I've seen some really BIG kids get into fights too (aka adults) and over nothing. It can happen anywhere; kids and adults alike. That fight is no indication that the kids are bad mannered or raised poorly. As well, cruising during the summer may increase the odds of some type of disruption, but doesn't assure that there WILL be trouble, regardless of age.

I am also in the opinion that parents do not need to constantly hover over their children on board either; especially when they are beyond the age of staying with the Kid's Crew. The same rules should apply on a cruise as does in real life, based upon age, trust, etc. with consequence to follow if something does happen.

When we've cruised with our boy(s) as teenagers, we all had means of staying in touch, designated meeting times throughout the day and the understanding that we always apprise each other of our whereabouts aboard the ship. I'll bet any responsible parent does about the same.

Looks as if the Bermuda cruises are really rowdy---

Big Green

Granted, we tend to sail when school is in session, but in our 8 cruises to Bermuda we've found them to be anything but rowdy.

No going on a one or two-nighter is a whole other story! :rolleyes:

On our last cruise (12/08), a fight broke out among two "adult" men in Le Bistro of all places! One was drunk and mouthy, the other was trying to get him to shut it, insults were flung, and the drunk mouthy guy received a mouth full of fist.

Some other suite guests filled us in on the whole drama while waiting for priority disembarkation and all I could picture was those tiny Eastern European ladies who work in Le Bistro trying to break up a fight! Poor dears!

Don't sell those Romanian girls short. They may be tiny but they can take care of themselves.

Think Nadia Komenich! :D

I am sure the ships video of the even is better. Good thing they waited until the last night. A similar event happened in the Blue Lagoon on a cruise I was on. It was special to see the families of the two boys involved on the pier in Tortola with their luggage. Too stupid to wait until the last night. :D

Well yes, that was pretty disgusting. However, I would not take it as the norm for the Bermuda cruises. Ours was anything BUT rowdy.

I will say that honestly, I find older adults to exhibit the worst behavior on ships. Sometimes when there is a large group of older teens or college kids they are loud and rather boistrous. Generally I don't really care that much about other people's behavior as long as it does not interfere or as long as there is not a safety issue(which, LOL, that incident certainly had both qualities). But I am generally very optimistically pleased at the behavior I observe of college kids. I am around them A LOT--given my job and also my travels. Older folks can honestly just complain all the time, be incredibly entitled, and have little respect for the waitstaff and people who work on the ships. I don't tend to see that in the younger group, but obviously everyone can give stories of obnxious pre-schoolers, elderly folks, tween, twenties, LOL.

Crowd control and issues do concern me though. The only issue I have ever had at NCL was at the White Hot party where a group of tweeners were not supervised by their parents. The parents were probably not aware that the party was as "fun" as it was, and were probably giving the kids some rather undeserved freedom. It concerned me for safety issues--not because I was appalled at their behavior. The sense of safety on the ship can lead parents to give a little too much freedom--we learned that when the kids were younger--while it is safe in general--things can still happen. (Thus the terrible video.)

yoyocruiser

Anytime you get more than one human together, the POTENTIAL for this sort of thing happens. Add up 2,000 people in a somewhat confined space, strange environment, emotions, raised levels of "romance", varied levels of ego, MAYBE some drinking and conflicts arise.

Sometimes those conflicts escalate. I would guess there are fights on most cruises at some point. Sometimes a few words, sometimes a push, and sometimes a punch. just gonna happen.

Meanwhile, I am surprised somebody did not ask "where was security"? (dumb question by the way)

I know people are quick to blame alcohol in instances like these, but personally I blame testosterone.

To be honest, I'm kinda happy (and surprised) that what was seen in that video doesn't happen more often. It's a sign that most people (men) have control over themselves, thank goodness :p

I know people are quick to blame alcohol in instances like these, but personally I blame testosterone.

To be honest, I'm kinda happy (and surprised) that what was seen in that video doesn't happen more often. It's a sign that most people (men) have control over themselves, thank goodness :p

HEY! I resemble that remark! ;)

Anytime you get more than one human together, the POTENTIAL for this sort of thing happens. Add up 2,000 people in a somewhat confined space, strange environment, emotions, raised levels of "romance", varied levels of ego, MAYBE some drinking and conflicts arise.

Sometimes those conflicts escalate. I would guess there are fights on most cruises at some point. Sometimes a few words, sometimes a push, and sometimes a punch. just gonna happen.

Meanwhile, I am surprised somebody did not ask "where was security"? (dumb question by the way)

I am not sure that your statement applies across all cruise lines-- I find

that in my research on HAl, Celebirty, and Princess very few disturbances like this seemed to have occured. Does Carnival and Norwegian lead the pack???

Bg

I am not sure that your statement applies across all cruise lines-- I find

that in my research on HAl, Celebirty, and Princess very few disturbances like this seemed to have occured. Does Carnival and Norwegian lead the pack???

Bg

LOL.

I believe it applies throughout humankind.

It would be nice to think that this is confined to one or two cruise lines but that is unrealistic.

I am not sure that your statement applies across all cruise lines-- I find that in my research on HAl, Celebirty, and Princess very few disturbances like this seemed to have occured. Does Carnival and Norwegian lead the pack???

Bg

Maybe. I think these things happen more than you might think, but they do not get reported or have someone with a video. Therefore research might not be very valid.

I would agree it happens less on those cruises with an older demographic. After all, some of us are too tired to bother throwing a punch. We instead resort to " shut up you old $****head",and then our wife smacks us up the side of the head, and that is the end of it. And or course, many of us older folks could not work a camera and surely do not know how to upload to Youtube!

So, tweet that across you facebook and stay out of myspace!

Maybe. I think these things happen more than you might think, but they do not get reported or have someone with a video. Therefore research might not be very valid.

I would agree it happens less on those cruises with an older demographic. After all, some of us are too tired to bother throwing a punch. We instead resort to " shut up you old $****head",and then our wife smacks us up the side of the head, and that is the end of it. And or course, many of us older folks could not work a camera and surely do not know how to upload to Youtube!

agreed

BG

I'd have to agree...because testosterone levels drop with age.

I'm telling you it's testosterone. :p:p

Archived