Fight breaks out on the Dawn

prg2101

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Admittedly I skipped from page 1 of this thread to page 3 but forgetting who started it or why . . . [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Where was ship's security? That scared me more than the fight itself.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='terrymtex01']One of the guys was there on his honeymoon. He and his wife had gotten married there on the ship and his best friend was on the cruise along with some family, etc. Well.. ended up the mans new wife slept with his best friend the second night of the cruise and from then on the two men fought. I think they ended up holding one or both of them in the brig.[/quote]

Are you sure the last night's entertainment wasn't an episode of Jerry Springer? Wow.

--Michael

[quote name='trish1c'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Admittedly I skipped from page 1 of this thread to page 3 but forgetting who started it or why . . . [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Where was ship's security? That scared me more than the fight itself.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

That video clip was about 15 seconds and at the start. I know security wasn't too far away!

[quote name='teachc5']I know that you are on vacation but have you talked to any other crew mwmbers about the upcoming storm?[/quote]

The only thing they will notice is maybe a little extra wind and some rain but the storm won't alter the ships..not going to be that close.

[quote name='terrymtex01']

You and I have always been eye to eye on almost every posting of yours I have ever read. [/QUOTE]

LMAO!! :p You must be a rebel then....... ;)
Only 2.5 months to go!!! :D

[quote name='halos']I know people are quick to blame alcohol in instances like these, but personally I blame testosterone.

To be honest, I'm kinda happy (and surprised) that what was seen in that video doesn't happen more often. It's a sign that most people (men) have control over themselves, thank goodness :p[/quote]

Angel, I saw a few women getting into that mix as well. So back to the alcohol or is it just hormones in general?

We sailed on the Dawn in June and experienced a group of very rowdy, obnoxious tweens.

We were in the main center elevator one night and about 10 tweens squeezed in. They pressed every floor button and then proceeded to fart and burp and say the "f" and "n" word every other word.

When one of the "boys" pushed me to get out, my 6'2" US Marine (retired) DH grabbed him and said "you are too much of a runt to even be on this ship - now get out". They all ran off.

But we still saw them all throughout the cruise, always without any parents and always making trouble. The only good part was when they saw me and my DH they ran.

[quote name='terrymtex01']I am going to say this about my posting... Demographics may not have been the right word to use in the truest sense of the word, but I will still take my bet that CCL is more of a party crowd than on any other major cruiseline and I do believe the more you have a party crowd mixed with alcohol, more fights are going to happen. ;)[/quote]

Terry,
For the longest time I thought the same as you about CCL being a party boat. Last October they offered a last minute deal to Mexico that I couldn't refuse. I booked it and was prepared for a younger party crowd and I was very surprised that on that particular cruise there were more scooters, walkers, oxygen tanks and older folks than I'd ever seen on any NCL ship! :eek: I'd take a 7 day or longer cruise off school season on CCL any day if I was solo and the price were right. They are more like NCL than not although I hate that assigned dining time but I was traveling solo so didn't mind so much. I'm basically a NCL cheerleader too. I've never seen any kind of a fight on any cruise I've been on. :)

I would be interested, if anyone knows, in the ratio of security officials to passengers assigned by NCL vs Carnival.

My Carnival cruise was 14 days long. There were many highly visible security men in their distinctive tee shirts, and I joked with them that they must have felt like they were getting a half month vacation with pay, as it was a canal transit and basically bereft of the usual heavy hitters. They happily agreed that it was a very easy cruise on which to be doing security.

I doubt whether they keep records of brawls that the public can see, but common sense would seem to say that a line that so heavily promotes and advertises lots of drinking is going to attract a clientele that is prone to over drinking and not unlikely, concomitant violence.

I never intended this thread to start the "well it happens on this line more than that line" It doesnt matter.....Realistically it shouldnt happen at all...fights happen at all kinds of places I understand that but cruiseships?? maybe Im blind...just wouldnt expect that.....

to make sense of some peoples excuse, I think that CCL has a repor of having the roudy group.....say what u want but Carnival is known for the cruiseship that loves the youngbucks..............;)

[QUOTE]I never intended this thread to start the "well it happens on this line more than that line" It doesnt matter.....Realistically it shouldnt happen at all...fights happen at all kinds of places I understand that but cruiseships?? maybe Im blind...just wouldnt expect that.....
[/QUOTE]

Having tended bar for several stints during and after college, i can tell you that fights are fairly common in bars as alcohol removes the inhibitions of many and makes a lot of men (of various ages) think they're Sampson and can take on the world (sometimes women as well, but women fights are much harder to break up). As a cruise ship is just a floating bar for many, I'm sure fights are fairly common on most ships (they're just big enough that most people don't witness them, and they are often quickly broken up by the staff).

As for who is likely to fight, sometimes it is the loud boisterous ones, but I always watched out for the quiet ones more; the Walter Mitty types who just decide that they were accidentally bumped or otherwise annoyed one time too often. Yong or old, I found these guys the most troublesome.

[quote name='salty dingo']So, did anyone get kicked off the ship for fighting? Does NCL have a zero tolerance for violence or do they give a second chance?[/quote]

Nobody knows about gettting kicked off......the person shooting the vid was on a phone it looked like....thought it would be funny to post on Youtube.....I found it looking for NCL Dawn footage because we are sailing on her next May....

I just wanted to get some reaction from folks who sail 1. As a family 2. As a couple with no kids.... Why? Cause clearly this is kids out of control with parents nowhere to be found......

Our first trip on the Gem we were walking the Promenade Deck and found security hauling off 3 boys 14-17 who were trying to pull the lifeboat levers down just for a joke....they noticed them on camera and ran up to get them fast.....I personally think parents should be more involved in their kids when sailing....Safety is the biggest part of cruiseships right????

[quote name='salty dingo']So, did anyone get kicked off the ship for fighting? Does NCL have a zero tolerance for violence or do they give a second chance?[/QUOTE]

[Size=3]It was probably the new static menus that prompted the altercation! :rolleyes:

DT[/Size]

If you like to find the negative and bad part of society as it relates to cruising, you can find way more than you care to read by doing a google on "cruise_ship_assaults"

I know it is more than I care to read.

[quote name='fin']I would be interested, if anyone knows, in the ratio of security officials to passengers assigned by NCL vs Carnival.

My Carnival cruise was 14 days long. There were many highly visible security men in their distinctive tee shirts, and I joked with them that they must have felt like they were getting a half month vacation with pay, as it was a canal transit and basically bereft of the usual heavy hitters. They happily agreed that it was a very easy cruise on which to be doing security.

I doubt whether they keep records of brawls that the public can see, but common sense would seem to say that a line that so heavily promotes and advertises lots of drinking is going to attract a clientele that is prone to over drinking and not unlikely, concomitant violence.[/quote]

My husband and I took a 12 day Carnival cruise in the Mediterannean and had the same experience. Those security guys in the t-shirts were everywhere during the day and really kept things in control, everyone knew who they were and no one was going to act up. We also saw them in action one night at a couple of clubs on board, when some weirdo guy was bothering girls dancing on the dance floor. He was acting really strange and looked like he was on drugs. The security intervened a couple of times and then the guy just "went away", didnt see him for the rest of the cruise:cool:
Other than that, 9 cruises; RCL,NCL (old and new), Carnival and Disney, never saw any REAL altercations or fights so I dont think that it's a real big problem on most ships.

[quote name='salty dingo']So, did anyone get kicked off the ship for fighting? Does NCL have a zero tolerance for violence or do they give a second chance?[/quote]

[COLOR="Black"]The rest of the story. Just off the Dawn and discussed this incident with the HD. Normally a zero tolerance. Nobody got kicked off the ship it was the last night. Security's video is much better. They arrived shortly after the You Tube video ended. The Parents and the two principle players where formally interviewed and made aware of how serious this was and the fact they would have been removed from the ship if this had happened earlier in the cruise. Both boys made formal apologies to each other under duress I might add. Incident closed.[/COLOR]

[quote name='DocJohnB']

Odds are these testosterone laden young men were fight, errrr, discussing the hormonal inbalance of one of the young ladies. :D:D:D[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Although there's no way for us to know what's really behind the fight, I'd BET that there's a young lady involved and 2 boys fighting over her.

[quote name='Us2inFL']It looks like it happened by the elevator bank... could you imagine being in a car who's doors opened onto this scene?[/QUOTE]

LOL.. they probably thought the elevator had taken them to the buffet. :p

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I have been on 5 cruises and have one story that involves a pair of "over 50" year old siblings. We were on a small cruise ship over 4th of July out of NY. On the 2nd day of the cruise between lunch and dinner one couple found themselves in the passage way with a middle aged couple and the steward. The middle aged couple had some difficulty with their room key. Angry words could be heard, name calling started and suddenly punches were flying. My friends stopped few doors away and the steward broke up the man and woman. Later the steward told my friends that the two adults were brother and sister who had been booked in the same room as a joke by another sibling, and they were stuck together because the cruise was full!! :eek:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]High Testosterone? Low Estrogen? Childhood conflict? All I know is these two people were seen numerous times and they never seemed to be having any fun. Sometimes vacation can bring over the top stress.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived