Recession Blues, To many unsold Cabins;

alohadad

Some ships may be going out full as is always the case. There are always favored sailings and Alaska is still hot.

But overall, on all the lines, prices have plummeted especially from now until Christmas so at those rates they may well go out full in the end, but at a cost to the lines.

If you're willing to take an inside cabin, or even outside, then now is the time to jump. In a moment of euphoria over the prices I booked a 4-night balcony cabin on Celebrity in December for $500 each. If I were willing to take inside, it would have been even less. Logic kicked in and I canceled.

So as predicted by so many here, cruising is not a top priority expense for people right now who have lost their jobs or their homes or are still in fear of that. The last thing most of these people will do is hop on a ship.:)

Much as I love the rates out there, I'll be happy when they go up again.

Our cruise to Canada/New England on 10/03 is sold out and there is a waiting list. I know this because I called HAL (just this morning) to see if there was any space available for my brother and sister-in-law who was thinking of going with us and the HAL rep said waiting list only and said they do not have any way of seeing how many are on the waiting list.

I think Alaska and Canada/New England are very popular cruises and normally sell out.

There's no way a person KNOWS how many cabins are not booked and available for a cruise unless they work for HAL or they know how to hack into HAL's reservation system. Love how he won't reveal how he knows but HE KNOWS. :eek:

and that he would only do it that once, and that is it, as he says;)

Looking at travel prices this year, I have found many bargains and prices much lower than in previous years, but you have to do your homework and search to get the special pricing. The vendors - restaurants, hotels, and cruise lines - do not make a point of advertising the lower prices and many, especially the high-end venues with a reputation to uphold, will deny that any specials exist, even as they push the discounts out the back door. Often, these specials are sent only to those who are members of their 'loyalty' clubs and/or subscribe to their email lists. Naturally, at the discounted prices, there is a limited number available and will quickly sell out. Some of the specials we have taken advantage recently include:

- the Fairmont Chateau Whistler (a high-end hotel at our local ski hill) had a $99 rate for their 'President Club' members. Rates for the same dates and rooms for those that didn't have the 'code' were over $200/night.

- we booked our upcoming cruise on the Zuiderdam to Alaska a few days after the cut-off for final payment (when HAL knew how many cabins were unsold). The special came in the form of an email to some of their 'Mariner' members offering an inside quarantee for $690 pp inc. all port charges and taxes. Those that didn't get the email were quoted over $800 pp for the same cabins. I know - my sister got the email and got the special pricing, I didn't and got the higher pricing. It took our travel agent several days and many calls to Hal before they relented and extended the lower price to all of our group that booked. Last week, two weeks before embarkation, we were offered an upsell to a balcony for an additional $150 pp. Some of our group took it and ended up in VA cabins. I know that for many here on CC that will only sail in a SA suite or nothing this is not a big deal, but for me, a VA balcony cabin for Alaska in August at a cost of $840 pp inc. taxes is a bargain. Those in our group that passed on the upsell ended up assigned to J cabins on deck 7, still not a bad deal.

- I can't speak for other cities, but here in Vancouver, we have had a number of restaurants that have been quietly offering 2-for-1 discounts or other specials to those that subscribe to their email lists. That makes a night out quite affordable. I have also heard, and read on other threads here on CC, of 4-star hotels inc. the Pan Pacific, the Four Season, and the Hyatt offering rates of ~$100 a night on Priceline and Hotwire. That is the same price as motels on the outskirts of town.

So the bargains are out there, but you have to do some work for them or get lucky. If you want to just walk in at the last minute, expect to pay the full list price.

Looking at travel prices this year, I have found many bargains and prices much lower than in previous years, but you have to do your homework and search to get the special pricing. The vendors - restaurants, hotels, and cruise lines - do not make a point of advertising the lower prices and many, especially the high-end venues with a reputation to uphold, will deny that any specials exist, even as they push the discounts out the back door. Often, these specials are sent only to those who are members of their 'loyalty' clubs and/or subscribe to their email lists. Naturally, at the discounted prices, there is a limited number available and will quickly sell out. Some of the specials we have taken advantage recently include:

- the Fairmont Chateau Whistler (a high-end hotel at our local ski hill) had a $99 rate for their 'President Club' members. Rates for the same dates and rooms for those that didn't have the 'code' were over $200/night.

- we booked our upcoming cruise on the Zuiderdam to Alaska a few days after the cut-off for final payment (when HAL knew how many cabins were unsold). The special came in the form of an email to some of their 'Mariner' members offering an inside quarantee for $690 pp inc. all port charges and taxes. Those that didn't get the email were quoted over $800 pp for the same cabins. I know - my sister got the email and got the special pricing, I didn't and got the higher pricing. It took our travel agent several days and many calls to Hal before they relented and extended the lower price to all of our group that booked. Last week, two weeks before embarkation, we were offered an upsell to a balcony for an additional $150 pp. Some of our group took it and ended up in VA cabins. I know that for many here on CC that will only sail in a SA suite or nothing this is not a big deal, but for me, a VA balcony cabin for Alaska in August at a cost of $840 pp inc. taxes is a bargain. Those in our group that passed on the upsell ended up assigned to J cabins on deck 7, still not a bad deal.

- I can't speak for other cities, but here in Vancouver, we have had a number of restaurants that have been quietly offering 2-for-1 discounts or other specials to those that subscribe to their email lists. That makes a night out quite affordable. I have also heard, and read on other threads here on CC, of 4-star hotels inc. the Pan Pacific, the Four Season, and the Hyatt offering rates of ~$100 a night on Priceline and Hotwire. That is the same price as motels on the outskirts of town.

So the bargains are out there, but you have to do some work for them or get lucky. If you want to just walk in at the last minute, expect to pay the full list price.

I so agree with you on this!

I receive weekly e-mails with great cruise pricing. For example, there are 3 day sailings on Carnival that are $119 (only $39 per day). On several HAL ships in September and October (Eurodam,Ryndam and Zuiderdam) you have 7,10 and 14 night sailings at prices like $699 on a 10 day,$399 for a 7 day, $999 for a 14 day.

Now these pricings are not sent to everyone. I also suggest that you let a travel agent know if you are flexiable in timing to take advantage of sales. I also keep an eye out on pricing of my book sailing. My travel agent is a true gem and I received huge price drops and great upgrades. Some that she do on her own and others that I keep an eye out on her company's website and let her know.

I agree with Aunty Pat and disagree with the OP especially HAL ships. While granted Alaska did not sell out as early as in past years they certainly do not have any cabins left. At the 30 day mark all the HAL ships have been totally full, same with Princess. about the only cruiseline that you might find an inside cabin 3 weeks out is NCL at least for Alaska.

Now the little 3 and 4 day cruises (HAL does not do those) if you do not care what cabin category you want you can pretty much get on one of the 3 days in advance but it is either a Inside and or a Pent House :D You just never know.

This summer HAL and Princess has sold very well and you could not grab one of their cruises unless you were at least 5 weeks out. Now granted in past years it was more like 8 weeks but certainly going out with any empty cabins where you could get a great last minute deal.

My neighbour got an inside cabin about a week before sailing on the Zuiderdam to Alaska last month. Thought you might be interested to know this.

My neighbour got an inside cabin about a week before sailing on the Zuiderdam to Alaska last month. Thought you might be interested to know this.

If you are saying last month as in July and it was toward the beginning to middle of July, yes the Zuiderdam did have have just a few Insides left. That was definitely not the case for the other ships that were doing the round trip Alaska and most definitely not any ships leaving out of Seattle for HAL or PCL. Like I said before the only cabins that were left close to sailing were NCL but even those were gone at about 10 days out.

About mid July it was as if someone said better buy now and suddenly there were nothing left going to Alaska thru September:D

I can remember in 2007 when we had gotten back from doing the Noordam to Alaska and that in mid July we decided we wanted to return to the Noordam so we canceled our Ryndam cruise which was just a couple of days before final and went on the 2nd week in September Noordam. That year there were still plenty of cabins left at the end of July and we got a bargain on a SY cabin that soon became a SA. That was not the case this year and those SYs were actually not reduced that much this year toward the end. HAL definitely had no problems selling out Alaska this year. Even though it appeared it was going to be that way in late March early April when they had to start with some great sales.

If you are saying last month as in July and it was toward the beginning to middle of July, yes the Zuiderdam did have have just a few Insides left. That was definitely not the case for the other ships that were doing the round trip Alaska and most definitely not any ships leaving out of Seattle for HAL or PCL. Like I said before the only cabins that were left close to sailing were NCL but even those were gone at about 10 days out.

About mid July it was as if someone said better buy now and suddenly there were nothing left going to Alaska thru September:D

I can remember in 2007 when we had gotten back from doing the Noordam to Alaska and that in mid July we decided we wanted to return to the Noordam so we canceled our Ryndam cruise which was just a couple of days before final and went on the 2nd week in September Noordam. That year there were still plenty of cabins left at the end of July and we got a bargain on a SY cabin that soon became a SA. That was not the case this year and those SYs were actually not reduced that much this year toward the end. HAL definitely had no problems selling out Alaska this year. Even though it appeared it was going to be that way in late March early April when they had to start with some great sales.

LAFFNVEGAS, I agree with most of what you said, but with some differences. In this recession as in most, the ultra high-end has held up quite well, and as for the bottom end, well they don't really have much choice. Where I see the softness is in the middle-class and business travel. Especially at the beginning of this year when GM and Chrysler were heading into bankruptcy and unemployment was rising, those in the middle-class with mortgages and kids were reluctant to splurge on vacations and other spending. And for companies, the optics of staging meetings at 5-star resorts while freezing wages and cutting staff would not look good. In the computer industry that I use to be active in, I know of several conventions and 'sales meetings' that have been quietly shelved or moved to less opulent venues. Now that things are looking up a bit, spending is on the rise - as you said, about mid July people starting buying again.

Part of that though is because of all the price cuts that were available. On our cruise on the Zuiderdam, when HAL cut the prices on the insides (right after the final payment date), we jumped on it, and I am sure many others did so as well, since that sailing quickly sold out. However that they were offering upsells to outside and to balconies last week indicates to me that HAL sold a lot more of the less expensive inside guarantees than they actually had inside cabins. So while the sailing did sell out HAL did not generate as much total revenue as it would have in good times and if not enough people take them up on the upsell, I guess the upgrade fairy will be blessing a lucky few (or many).

What I was trying to point out to the OP was that depending on how flexible they were in their travel dates and itineraries, the best times to start looking at is for sailings just as the final payments are due. At that time the cruise line has a good idea of how many cabins are unsold. If bookings are soft, expect to see price cuts - but these are not widely advertised - they are usually sent out via email blast to previous passengers or given to large travel agencies that specialize in last minute travel. The OP will have to do some work to find these prices. There will probably be not that many specials on the popular routes and holiday

sailings. Any specials will be for inside or outside guarantees and not for suites unless there is a spate of last minute cancellations.

I had a 7-day cruise on the Westerdam booked through HAL for November. We booked it almost a year ago.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we had to cancel.

Now I am shopping for a cruise on the Westerdam for a different week this fall. [This time through a TA rather than HAL.]

She gave me a price for TWO CABINS -- an SY [for us] and an H [for my kids] -- that is about $100 more than what DH and I would have been paying for just the two of us in an SY on the cruise we ended up canceling. :eek:

Right now there are some super prices on Zuiderdam Panama Canal, Sept 29. $53 pp/perday for inside, $73 pp/per day balcony. However it seems to me HAL's price for transatlantic seems high to me.

There seemed to be some really good fares for Alaska the 1st part of July and then after the holiday everything went up.

I think you have to be vigilant to find good bargains and you must be flexible and that is difficult if you are young and still working. Aging does have it's perks.;)

Right now there are some super prices on Zuiderdam Panama Canal, Sept 29. $53 pp/perday for inside, $73 pp/per day balcony. However it seems to me HAL's price for transatlantic seems high to me.

There seemed to be some really good fares for Alaska the 1st part of July and then after the holiday everything went up.

I think you have to be vigilant to find good bargains and you must be flexible and that is difficult if you are young and still working. Aging does have it's perks.

There seem to be VERY good prices for the Rotterdam TA from Rome to FLL, and this is from the HAL website. I'm sure my TA could do even better.

So these fares are out there :), but not consistently. :confused:

r.

Can you tell me where you see these rates?

I had been watching this cruise and was very disappointed a couple of weeks ago when the airline discount rate went from $1099 (about $73 per day) for balcony to $4299 overnight! I had found about 250 cabins unassigned the night before by using the "back" button on my browser to get new cabin choices in all the categories - takes a long time and doesn't appear to prove anything as they must have been accumulating a great number of "guarantees" while the sale pricing was in effect.

The airline discount rate has dropped back to $1899 in the last 48 hours but HAL's site is showing the lowest available verandah (an SZ) at $2893. I'd LOVE to again get the chance to book at &73 per day.

Kubarque

Archived