FL or Miami? What's the differemce?

Nylsor

We live in the UK and we are researching a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale for end of January 2011. Princess flies UK clients to Miami but we are planning to book cruise only and then book our own airfare as not only is it much cheaper that way but we will then be able to choose our own airline and not be herded onto BA! We have visited the US but have not visited Florida. We are confused re Miami / Fort Lauderdale. Should we fly into FL or Miami? Are they very far apart? Where should we stay? Can anyone please help

Ros

We live in the UK and we are researching a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale for end of January 2011. Princess flies UK clients to Miami but we are planning to book cruise only and then book our own airfare as not only is it much cheaper that way but we will then be able to choose our own airline and not herded be onto BA! We have visited the US but have not visited Florida. We are confused re Miami / Fort Lauderdale. Should we fly into FL or Miami? Are they very far apart? Where should we stay? Can anyone please help

Ros

If you are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale, you should fly into Fort Lauderdale. If however, the airfare turned out to be cheaper to fly into Miami (doubt it) you could fly into Miami and take a car service to where ever you are staying in Fort Lauderdale. The car ride would be about 45 minutes. There are numerous hotels to stay at in Fort Lauderdale. We stayed at the Hard Rock once and loved it.

Fort Lauderdale is a yuppie/wealthy yachting mecca and Miami is a multi cultural Latino hotbed.

I love them both for different reasons and both are worth spending time in.

Both Miami and Fort Lauderdale will be infinitely more interesting than any Caribbean port you visit on your cruise.

Does a non-stop London-FLL flight exist? You will enjoy your trip more with a non-stop flight into MIA.

No... Both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic fly nonstop LHR-MIA though. I agree, I would take one of those, then it's 45 minutes to the Port Everglades area hotels.

If you've never been to Florida before though come a few days early, rent a car and explore the area.

The two airports are about 30 minutes apart.

Miami International Airport is significantly larger than Fort Lauderdale.

If it was me I would fly to the one with the direct which likely will be Miami.

Now, if you fly home the day the cruise is over be sure to give yourself sufficient time to get to the airport. I would not book a flight before Noon.

And I would fly in a day or more in advance.

Keith

Archived