Freedom vs. Liberty

MrsPete

We're already booked on Freedom of the Seas for next summer. We'd researched it, we've sailed out of Port Canaveral several times, and we were all set for this ship . . . then I decided to poke around and look at other ships. I found that Liberty's less expensive (why?).

The ports area different, but either itinerary looks acceptable. Liberty has one less port day, which would account for a small amount of price difference.

Any advice? Would you change? Why or why not?

Thanks.

Personally I believe the reason for the price difference is due to the demand for Port Canveral. Since Mariner left in January, PC did without a 7 night RCCL cruise. Once Freedom arrived in May, she has consistantly sold out at a higher price.

I really think once the "newness" of Freedom in PC wears out, the prices will level off to about the same.

We were on Liberty this past May and the price was $500 less ($250 pp) for the exact same cabin. The only difference I could see, Liberty went eastern and Freedom went western.

As a side note, we loved Liberty and expect nothing less from Freedom. If you like the Voyager class ship, you will like the Freedom class. Almost exactly the same, just a bit larger but felt less crowded.

Tim

Simply as a matter of convenience, I would much rather go out of Miami than Port Canaveral. The ships, of course, are sister ships and virtually identical. The big difference for us is the day of sailing (Saturday, rather than Sunday)

Simply as a matter of convenience, I would much rather go out of Miami than Port Canaveral. The ships, of course, are sister ships and virtually identical. The big difference for us is the day of sailing (Saturday, rather than Sunday)

Starting in a couple months, both will be Sunday departures. We're also considering moving to Liberty, both good iteneraries, Liberty is $600 cheaper, but we would pay that in airfare to Miami and can drive to Canaveral. We just can't decide!

Both are great ships, virtually the same. Sailed on Liberty in September and Freedom in November. I did like the evening shows much better on the Freedom, but not enough to pay several hundred dollars more.

Not wanting to start this again as it was on another thread about shows but personally, I usually like all the production shows. Not with Liberty. If I would sail this ship again, I would skip the production shows. The talent of the singers and dancers was WONDERFUL, it was the shows themselves that were not very good.

Tim

As a side note, we loved Liberty and expect nothing less from Freedom. If you like the Voyager class ship, you will like the Freedom class. Almost exactly the same, just a bit larger but felt less crowded.
We DO love the Voyager class ships and can't wait for the Freedom class!

I knew that the deck plans were the same, so y'all have just verified what I suspected: the cruises wouldn't be very different. As for shows, they're a minor part of the cruise for us, so that's hardly a make-or-break.

We're also considering moving to Liberty, both good iteneraries, Liberty is $600 cheaper, but we would pay that in airfare to Miami and can drive to Canaveral. We just can't decide!
That's my situation exactly! Port Canaveral is a good one-day drive, but Miami is two days -- so if we go to Miami, we will fly.

I did a full-cost run-down, including the cost of two meals on the road and a rental van (because we're bringing two extra kids) if we drive, ground transportation to the port if we fly . . . and for our dates and a party of our size, it appears to be about $200 cheaper to go to Miami and sail Liberty.

I think it's going to come down to money:

We tend to splurge on great private excursions, so with one less island stop we'd save a little on shore excursions on Liberty.

We don't check luggage when we fly, so that's not a price concern.

Is either ship more likely than the other to have price drops?

I know Port Canaveral and don't have to think twice about it, but if we go with a Miami ship, I have to do some research . . . what's a good hotel for two adults /four teens the night before the cruise? I'd like a Residence Inn, a Springhill Suites or something else where we can get one suite that'll hold us all in one room . . . what about good options for ground transportation?

Thanks for the information!

Starting in a couple months, both will be Sunday departures. We're also considering moving to Liberty, both good iteneraries, Liberty is $600 cheaper, but we would pay that in airfare to Miami and can drive to Canaveral. We just can't decide!

This is a blow to us who need Saturday departures. Most of RCCL's 7 day cruises depart of Sunday. Too bad. It would have made sense to retain Liberty's Saturday schedule as an alternative to Freedom's Sunday schedule

We DO love the Voyager class ships and can't wait for the Freedom class!

I knew that the deck plans were the same, so y'all have just verified what I suspected: the cruises wouldn't be very different. As for shows, they're a minor part of the cruise for us, so that's hardly a make-or-break. That's my situation exactly! Port Canaveral is a good one-day drive, but Miami is two days -- so if we go to Miami, we will fly.

I did a full-cost run-down, including the cost of two meals on the road and a rental van (because we're bringing two extra kids) if we drive, ground transportation to the port if we fly . . . and for our dates and a party of our size, it appears to be about $200 cheaper to go to Miami and sail Liberty.

I think it's going to come down to money:

We tend to splurge on great private excursions, so with one less island stop we'd save a little on shore excursions on Liberty.

We don't check luggage when we fly, so that's not a price concern.

Is either ship more likely than the other to have price drops?

I know Port Canaveral and don't have to think twice about it, but if we go with a Miami ship, I have to do some research . . . what's a good hotel for two adults /four teens the night before the cruise? I'd like a Residence Inn, a Springhill Suites or something else where we can get one suite that'll hold us all in one room . . . what about good options for ground transportation?

Thanks for the information!

Where will you be driving from? We made the drive from Port Canaveral to Miami in 3.5 hours. Will that add to much for a one day drive for all of you?

Tim

We have sailed on both ships. Freedom back in 2006 and Liberty in 2007. We love'd both ships equally and didn't see too much difference, but we did like Freedom's entertainment shows better at the time. We are about to repeat the same original cruise on Freedom with a bunch of family this coming October. I love the Miami port, so this time we will be going out of Port Canaveral which will be different, but interesting.

Where will you be driving from? We made the drive from Port Canaveral to Miami in 3.5 hours. Will that add to much for a one day drive for all of you?

Tim

We're driving from North Carolina. It's a good nine hours, which is very do-able without killing ourselves . . . but 3.5 would bring us up to more like 13 hours of driving time. That means leaving super-early in the morning, stopping for two meals on the road, multiple gas stops, and still arriving very late. Possible? Certainly! Realistic with four teenagers? Not so much.

Mic Streets & Trips says that Port Canaveral is 568 miles from my house, while Miami is 757 miles. So you're probably right on track with the 3.5 hours, but that on top of what's already a full day's drive is a little much. And that's assuming that everything goes well: no traffic jams, no accidents, no closed roads.

If we were in, say, southern Georgia, Miami would be drive-able in one day, and I'd be all over the idea of booking the less expensive ship AND driving to save money. But from my front porch, it doesn't look all that realistic.

We're driving from North Carolina. It's a good nine hours, which is very do-able without killing ourselves . . . but 3.5 would bring us up to more like 13 hours of driving time. That means leaving super-early in the morning, stopping for two meals on the road, multiple gas stops, and still arriving very late. Possible? Certainly! Realistic with four teenagers? Not so much.

Mic Streets & Trips says that Port Canaveral is 568 miles from my house, while Miami is 757 miles. So you're probably right on track with the 3.5 hours, but that on top of what's already a full day's drive is a little much. And that's assuming that everything goes well: no traffic jams, no accidents, no closed roads.

If we were in, say, southern Georgia, Miami would be drive-able in one day, and I'd be all over the idea of booking the less expensive ship AND driving to save money. But from my front porch, it doesn't look all that realistic.

It is a tough drive. We (DH and I) drove it from Greensboro, NC last November and it was about 13 hours including two quick stops for food and gas. Needless to say we didn't drive the speed limit. I wouldn't want to do it with kids.

It is a tough drive. We (DH and I) drove it from Greensboro, NC last November and it was about 13 hours including two quick stops for food and gas. Needless to say we didn't drive the speed limit. I wouldn't want to do it with kids.
Well, apparently I'm going to find out for myself!

DH and I decided to change over to Liberty -- many thanks to those of you whose advice helped us to make that decision -- and he's all in favor of driving it. He pointed out that we drove to Sandestin, FL in one day without difficulty last summer, he made the same drive solo this year, and we're planning to repeat the trip yet a third time next June . . . and I'm all in favor of that drive. He's hard to argue with!

I'm very pleased to have made the move to Liberty. The fact that the two difficult-to-obtain cabins that I wanted were available seems to cement the idea that wemade a good choice. However, I'm keeping my eyes open for low-priced plane flights.

Well, apparently I'm going to find out for myself!

DH and I decided to change over to Liberty -- many thanks to those of you whose advice helped us to make that decision -- and he's all in favor of driving it. He pointed out that we drove to Sandestin, FL in one day without difficulty last summer, he made the same drive solo this year, and we're planning to repeat the trip yet a third time next June . . . and I'm all in favor of that drive. He's hard to argue with!

I'm very pleased to have made the move to Liberty. The fact that the two difficult-to-obtain cabins that I wanted were available seems to cement the idea that wemade a good choice. However, I'm keeping my eyes open for low-priced plane flights.

All of you will enjoy Liberty!!!

I agree that is a lllloooonnnngggg drive to Miami. I too would keep an eye out for inexpensive airfare. That 3.5 hours would be a deciding factor for me, fly it would be.

NOTE ON FLYING

We usually fly into Ft. Lauderdale as the flight is less expensive. Sometimes you can catch a flight to Miami cheap but not often.

Tim

Quote from MrsPete - "We're already booked on Freedom of the Seas for next summer. We'd researched it, we've sailed out of Port Canaveral several times, and we were all set for this ship . . . then I decided to poke around and look at other ships. I found that Liberty's less expensive (why?).

The ports area different, but either itinerary looks acceptable. Liberty has one less port day, which would account for a small amount of price difference.

Any advice? Would you change? Why or why not?

Thanks. "

The Freedom was the first in her class. The Liberty and later the Independence, were fine tuned.

According to both the Captain and the Cruise Director - the Liberty is TWO INCHES longer which makes her the biggest ship currently in the fleet. :p :eek: :D (Until the Oasis arrives.)

You will have a much more international passenger mix on the Liberty this time of year. Last week's pax load was over 50% international with nearly 40% of the ship from Brazil. This is due to MIA being the major international airport for incoming South and Central American travelers and it's winter in the southern hemisphere right now so they are escaping their winter and coming north to the sunny Caribbean for their holidays.

We have found the flexibility of getting from the FLL and MIA airports to the ports is easier and cheaper than getting from MCO to Port Canaveral but we have to fly in as it's a 20 - 25 hour drive from the northern Ohio area.

I've been surfing websites and crunching numbers. I set out to try to prove to my husband that we could fly fairly close to the cost of driving . . . but I failed. Miserably.

I looked into loads of airlines and airports. The cheapest price I found was Southwest to Fort Lauderdale for $59, BUT that would mean a three-hour drive to the Raleigh airport (and a three-hour drive back after the cruise). Driving three hours + arriving early for check in + two hours in the air + finding a shuttle or taxi afterward = not so much time savings. For someone else who lives near the Raleigh airport, that's a great deal.

Something I don't understand is why the return trip tickets --on every airline -- are about 50% higher. I checked nearby airports, and I looked into a day later. Doesn't make sense.

I even looked into Amtrak, which we used for a trip last year. We were very pleased with Amtrak, and the six of us could travel to and from Miami for less than $500. Negatives: It's a 20 hour trip, and we'd have to ride all night. We could upgrade to sleeper seats, but that'd bring us up the airline cost. It wasn't a good option for this trip.

What I did manage, however, was to convince myself that driving is worth the time. We will avoid spending about $1200 by driving, and that's worthwhile.

Here are my figures -- comments welcome, especially since I'm not famliar with the Miami area.

FLYING COSTS:

Fly CLT to FLT: $79 tickets x 6 people

(We wouldn't check luggage, so no fees there)

One gallon gas to and from airport: $3

Parking the car for a week at the airport: $40

Assume a free shuttle to the hotel: 0

Assume we can walk to a restaurant for dinner: 0

Ground transportation from Fort Lauderdale hotel to Port of Miami: $20 x 6 people (something of a guess, I only found one place online that listed a cost)

Taxi back to airport after cruise: $60 (a guess)

Fly MIA to CLT: $129 x 6 people

TOTAL COST TO FLY: $1500-1600 (that includes airline fees and taxes, which don't show up in the ticket price, but do show up on the payment page!)

DRIVING COSTS:

32 gallons gas@ $3/gallon to drive to Miami (757 miles/24 MPG -- of course, this is a guess because who knows what gas'll cost next summer?): $96

Parking at the port: $140

32 gallons gas back home: $96

TOTAL COST TO DRIVE: $332 (what about tolls? We don't have them here in NC.)

I'd originally included meals on the road, but then I took them out. If we fly, we'll eat lunch during transit, but then we'll also eat dinner at a restaurant near our hotel. If we drive, we'll eat both lunch and dinner on the road. Regardless, we'll be eating out twice that day -- so there's really no cost difference between flying and driving here.

We might need a $15 oil change because of this 1500 mile trip, but I'd consider other maintenance to be something that needed to be done anyway -- not a separate vacation expense. Even if I needed, perhaps, a set of tires, that would be far less than the $1200 we're not spending by flying.

Bottom line:

The price difference between driving and flying was shocking. I'll keep looking for low prices, but my target range is $700-800. That is, I'd choose to fly ONLY IF I could get our tickets into this price range. That means I'd need the tickets to be $40-50 each, which is not imposible, but is improbable.

Though I didn't include this in my cost comparison, I assume we'll be able to stay in a less expensive hotel if we drive. If we drive, we'll be able to stop somewhere a little distance from the port -- perhaps at a hotel just off 95 in Fort Lauderdale. This'll be close enough that we can sleep late the next day, face only a very short drive, and still be among the first to board the ship. We'll be able to choose a hotel without a parking fee. On the other hand, if we fly in and stay somewhere near the port, the hotels are pretty expensive, and we might have a fee to ride the shuttle to the port.

So for now I'm going to assume that we're going to drive. Seeing these figures has made me accept that it's the best course of action. IF I find a low-low airline price, I'll be happy, but I'm content with the idea of driving. Seeing the cost difference, I don't think I'll even resent paying the $20/day to park at the port. I'm going to go ahead and make a reservation at a hotel, BUT I'm going to keep my options open by not reserving anything that can't be cancelled IF I find a great airline deal.

Thanks to all those who helped us decide to move over to Liberty. This cruise costs significantly less than the Freedom cruise, we've snagged the cabins we wanted, and we're pleased with our choices!

MrsPete

You guys must live in a rural area with no major airport as we do. We live in southern Illinois, 2.25 hour drive to St. Louis Airport. In order for us to fly to Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, we drive that distance every time.

Just a note I still think you must add in meals on the road trip because of the length of the trip. I really think you are probably right as far as the cost savings but man your time has to be worth something. Personally, I would be so tired from the drive there that I would spend the first two days of the cruise trying just to relax so I could enjoy the next five days that I have left.

One thing about flying to the airport, St. Louis has several park and fly hotels that will allow you to park there while gone and shuttle to/from the airport. I know the hotel stay will just add cost, but when subtracting the parking cost at the airport (which $40 for the week in St. Louis would not be enough) would lower the cost of the hotel stay and you guys would not be so stressed on flight day.

Just thoughts trying to help out.

Tim

You guys must live in a rural area with no major airport as we do. We live in southern Illinois, 2.25 hour drive to St. Louis Airport. In order for us to fly to Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, we drive that distance every time.
No, I wasn't very clear: We live less than an hour from a major airport (CLT), BUT to get the lowest, lowest prices with Southwest we'd have to drive three hours. The three-hour drive isn't worth the difference between Southwest's $59 ticket and US Air's $79 ticket. So I used the $79 ticket for my price comparison. I put that in to explain why I wasn't going with the cheapest possible ticket option.
Just a note I still think you must add in meals on the road trip because of the length of the trip. I really think you are probably right as far as the cost savings but man your time has to be worth something. Personally, I would be so tired from the drive there that I would spend the first two days of the cruise trying just to relax so I could enjoy the next five days that I have left.
I hear what you're saying, but I'm going to have to disagree. We're going to stop and eat SOMEWHERE regardless of whether we fly or drive. So that money and those hours will be used in either scenerio; since I care about the difference between the two options, I'm just ignoring the cost/time of eating. Yes, those hours will make the driving trip longer, but I don't really see that as a big difficulty. They're more of a break from driving.

I'm sure that we will be more tired after a 13-hour drive than we would be after a flight, but airplane travel isn't exactly relaxing either. Knowing my family, we'll need a good relaxing night, but we'll be up and ready to go the next morning. The trip home is more concerning than the outgoing trip; however, I don't work in the summer, and my husband will probably take off the Monday after the cruise to recouperate.

One thing about flying to the airport, St. Louis has several park and fly hotels that will allow you to park there while gone and shuttle to/from the airport. I know the hotel stay will just add cost, but when subtracting the parking cost at the airport (which $40 for the week in St. Louis would not be enough) would lower the cost of the hotel stay and you guys would not be so stressed on flight day.
That is a great option, and I have no idea whether it's available at our local airport. For our particular needs, though, we'd have to have a hotel for less than $40. We'll keep that in mind for future trips when our circumstances are different.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm trying to make sure I've thought through this thing compeltely.

I think you're very valid in your cost savings. My dh and I live just north of Atlanta and it's still a 12 hr drive for us, we drop our dogs off at my mother's off 75 in Fl, but even if we didn't, it would still take us that long with gassing up, etc. My in laws live in Oak Island and they are coming with us in Jan and are seriously considering driving, 12-13 hrs, because flights out of Wilm are too expensive and they don't want to drive to Raleigh, yet another expense. We are staying at the Holiday Inn, just across from Bayside, it's not the best hotel, but they have nice suites, which we plan to share, and you can walk across the street to eat and shop.

Also, you'll have that night to rest up, so I don't think the drive down will be too bad, and yeah, the drive back is a bear, but like all vacations, you go back to work a little tired.

As far a tolls, depending on where in NC your from...I95 in FL to Miami has no tolls, but if you are west or in middle of state and come down I75, it is quicker to jump on the turnpike and that adds up, but we think its worth it!!

Hope this helps. We are over the road truckers, so the 12 hrs isn't so bad for us, but we do feel for my in laws, who also have to go back to work on Mon, but, they'll have more money to enjoy the cruise with and thats how their looking at it!!:D

Beth:D

No, I wasn't very clear: We live less than an hour from a major airport (CLT), BUT to get the lowest, lowest prices with Southwest we'd have to drive three hours. The three-hour drive isn't worth the difference between Southwest's $59 ticket and US Air's $79 ticket. So I used the $79 ticket for my price comparison. I put that in to explain why I wasn't going with the cheapest possible ticket option.I hear what you're saying, but I'm going to have to disagree. We're going to stop and eat SOMEWHERE regardless of whether we fly or drive. So that money and those hours will be used in either scenerio; since I care about the difference between the two options, I'm just ignoring the cost/time of eating. Yes, those hours will make the driving trip longer, but I don't really see that as a big difficulty. They're more of a break from driving.

I'm sure that we will be more tired after a 13-hour drive than we would be after a flight, but airplane travel isn't exactly relaxing either. Knowing my family, we'll need a good relaxing night, but we'll be up and ready to go the next morning. The trip home is more concerning than the outgoing trip; however, I don't work in the summer, and my husband will probably take off the Monday after the cruise to recouperate. That is a great option, and I have no idea whether it's available at our local airport. For our particular needs, though, we'd have to have a hotel for less than $40. We'll keep that in mind for future trips when our circumstances are different.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm trying to make sure I've thought through this thing compeltely.

We have a LaQunita (sp) just a 10 minute shuttle to the airport in STL and it is only $79 and they let us leave our car there FREE!! Granted, it is not a 5 star but very clean and well kept. Net preflight cost $39 but nice to already have the drive in to STL and be fresh the next morning.

It appears you have thought this out very well!!! Nice job!!!

Wouldn't it be nice to live in FL and just have someone or yourself to drive to a port and get on? ;)

Tim

Archived