Sawyer Glacier?

papergypsy

Just wondering if anyone has made it all the way into Tracy Arm to see Sawyer Glacier this year. We got close in late June, but had to turn back because of all the ice in the water.

Just wondering.......

We were there the last week in July and almost made it. The Captain finally said that there was too much ice and went no further --- one more turn! It was still wonderful. (pics at picasaweb.google.com/ftroute).

We were on the Star Princess in Tracy Arm on the morning of July 29. We made it in far enough to see both (north and south) Sawyer glaciers, though we weren't able to get very close or stay very long. However, the Golden Princess, which we passed going in as we were coming out, did not make it in far enough to see them.

We were on the Sapphire Princess in early July. We were on the Adventure Bound excursion and it was breath taking. HUGE ice bergs everywhere. I can understand why ships cannot get close. We were able to get almost to the face of the glacier on the boat we were on and there were easily 100 seals sunning themselves while laying on the ice. I will never forget that day!:)

• Administrators
Just wondering if anyone has made it all the way into Tracy Arm to see Sawyer Glacier this year. We got close in late June, but had to turn back because of all the ice in the water.

Just wondering.......

Some do, occasionally, usually in July/August. Others have good excursions into Tracy Arm by taking the NCL jetboat excursion (which can get you closer even if the main channel is blocked).

I'm so grateful for CC. We are booking for next summer and without CC I might have considered itineraries with a glacier stop only in Tracy Arm. Thanks to CC I know that's a serious risk.

PS Adventure Bound is a different thing -- it's not cruiseline sponsored (it's an independent excursion) -- the original poster on this thread should NOT take the reports from Adventure Bound trips as indicative of what they might see from the cruise ship.

We were on the Adventure Bound excursion and it was breath taking. HUGE ice bergs everywhere. I can understand why ships cannot get close. We were able to get almost to the face of the glacier on the boat we were on and there were easily 100 seals sunning themselves while laying on the ice. I will never forget that day!:)

An incredible excursion :) ... I wish more ships had agreeable port-times!!!

Onboard viewing from the ship doesn't even come close to the Adventure Bound excursion experience.

NCL also offers an excursion booked via the cruiseline similiar to AB's excursion, something I'd snap up in a heartbeat if I booked NCL.

Just off the Sapphire Princess and my family had a great treat as we took the Adventure Bound Tour with Captain Cook. He gets the boat so close and turns off the engines. You hear the ice cracking, see calving and also shooters popped up from underneath us. This was a breath taking experience and I would reccomend it to all. It is a full day trip. We saw whales, seals, beers and eagles. I don't know what else to say but I highly recommend this trip.

August 8, on a separate Tracy Arm excursion from Regent Mariner (met back up with ship in Juneau), we got closer to south Sawyer than any time this season (as reported by capt). Absolutely wonderful, lots of calving, stunning to see. On the other hand, our week of cruising had the worst weather of the summer to that point-- lots and lots of fog, missed seeing much, and many people missed excursions. So it goes.

We were on Volendam in early August. The Captain went all the way to the end of the Arm. I don't see how he could have been any closer and still turn the ship around.

Both glaciers have retreated a loooong way back. North Sawyer was simply not visible because it is so far back. South Sawyer was visible but is also a long way back. In fact there were two islands in front of South Sawyer that I had not seen before.

Tracy Arm is NOT about the glaciers. It is wonderful scenery, beautiful cruising, blue glacier ice, and pretty good wildlife viewing. But the Sawyer Glacier(s) are frankly, disappointing.

They were sure impressive when we were there on the Adventure Bound boat!

I agree, I took a NCL add on Tracy Arm boat tour, last year on the Pearl, which was spectacular. Also went with Auk Nu when they were doing Tracy Arm.

I find Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, definately lacking compared to all other glacier areas by cruise ships, way down on the "glacier scale", which NCL did this year on the 5-30 Star sailing. The add on tour definately got WAY closer than the ship, but the sailing is nothing like Tracy Arm.

Archived