How do I find out if a huge group will be on board?

Hey kids,

So I came thisclose to booking the Freedom yesterday 11/1 but found out it's the Hogs on the High Seas cruise. 2,000 bikers will be onboard.

In the thread where someone told me this, we had a discussion on most of us not wanting to cruise when there are 2,000 out of 3,600 who are with one massive group. I'll reiterate here that it's NOT that they're BIKERS, it's that they're part of a group taking over over half the ship. So once again, I have nothing against bikers. I wouldn't want to cruise with 2,000 of ANY group.

So I'm on the verge (pray for me) of convincing my friend that we should do the 11/1 Liberty sailing.

I found NO way on RCCL's website to find out if a ship is semi-bought out. Does anyone know of a website where I can find this out? If we get onboard and we find there are 2,000 members of a knitting group onboard, I'll kill myself.

Okay let me say...I have nothing against knitters either! lol

At least the knitters won't rattle the ship when they start up on the docks. LOL

Not sure if the bikers are bringing their bikes as I don't think they do every cruise.

there is really no way to know except try Googling the sail date, try date spelled out, numbers for date, ship name first and ship name after. You really need to do some detective work.

Puffinater...

I am CRACKING THE F UP.

I punched in Freedom 11/1 to see if it knew about Hogs on the High Seas and it came up, so I thought, "Okay this works."

I changed it to Liberty. What group is on that ship?

Keyword: Grandmas Knitting on the High Seas

Group ID: 459

lololol

That website is great. ONE WEEK after the one I'm looking at, there's an All-Star Baseball reunion cruise on the Liberty, with a bunch of players from the Reds and a bunch of baseball fanatics. Wow!

I'm thrilled I'll apparently be with Grandmas Knitting on the High Seas though.

Okay this is ridiculous!

On the 2/1/09 sailing of the Indy, there were two large groups onboard:

-Jewish Singles

-Christian Couples

Both organized by two completely different groups. I wonder how THAT went, lol.

Puffinater...

I am CRACKING THE F UP.

I punched in Freedom 11/1 to see if it knew about Hogs on the High Seas and it came up, so I thought, "Okay this works."

lololol

Oh that is too funny!!!

The last time we cruised, on the Majesty in 2003, the ship was filled with a very large convention of Ford mechanics and their wifes. They were only interested in mingling with others from their convention and it changed the dynamics of the ship. They also got some preferential treatment with disembarkation and shuttles.

I would have enjoyed my cruise more had there not been such a big convention on but I guess I didnt realize that this happens a lot.

On any given cruise, there will be "groups"...most of the time, you'll have no way of know who belongs to whom else!

We were on a cruise with a HUGE corporate event...and had I not spoken to a couple of the "attendees", I'd never have know they were aboard. Shoot--most of them didn't know anyone else, either! They were able to take the trip as some sort of reward or incentive....so it was a huge group of strangers. The nice thing, they had some meetings on sea days, freeing up alot of space at the pool!

On any given cruise, there will be "groups"...most of the time, you'll have no way of know who belongs to whom else!

We were on a cruise with a HUGE corporate event...and had I not spoken to a couple of the "attendees", I'd never have know they were aboard. Shoot--most of them didn't know anyone else, either! They were able to take the trip as some sort of reward or incentive....so it was a huge group of strangers. The nice thing, they had some meetings on sea days, freeing up alot of space at the pool!

Somehow I do think a corporate event will be different than 2,000 out of 3,500 being hardcore bikers... :) Or knitters!

Somehow I do think a corporate event will be different than 2,000 out of 3,500 being hardcore bikers... :) Or knitters!

Not much, most of those bikers are corporate CEO's , doctors, lawyers and such. Those bikes are VERY expensive and this group does a ton of charity, they usually have some people on board that they treated to the cruise and they do fund raising right on board.

Thing is... you can sometimes find out there is a group, but you can't really tell how big the group is... They could be a group of 50 or a group of 2000... The "Hogs" cruises are really popular though from what I understand, so I'll bet there are a lot of them.

We've got a Star Trek group on board with us in October and it'll be interesting to see how much we really feel them once we are on the ship.

Not much, most of those bikers are corporate CEO's , doctors, lawyers and such. Those bikes are VERY expensive and this group does a ton of charity, they usually have some people on board that they treated to the cruise and they do fund raising right on board.

This sounds a lot like the Atlanta Parrot Head cruise. Every year they book a Carnival cruise and raise tons of money for the Atlanta Breast Cancer community. This year I think they raised $75,000!!!

This sounds a lot like the Atlanta Parrot Head cruise. Every year they book a Carnival cruise and raise tons of money for the Atlanta Breast Cancer community. This year I think they raised $75,000!!!

I was talking about the Hogs on the High Seas, they have been sailing RCCL for a few years.

Puffinater...

I am CRACKING THE F UP.

lololol

Hahahaha!!! I am ROFLing over here!!! :D:D:D

Puffinater...

I am CRACKING THE F UP.

lololol

HAHA thanks for the laugh! I am searching my cruise right now.

We were on a cruise with a large church group and it did affect the dynamics of the cruise. The entire group ate breakfast at the buffet so they could get to their meetings - so we met some very nice folks but then never saw them again since they were involved only in their activities. The cruise staff at the shops said that sales in the shops and bars were way down - again because the groups were at their meetings all day and then also in the evenings.

Thing is... you can sometimes find out there is a group, but you can't really tell how big the group is... They could be a group of 50 or a group of 2000... The "Hogs" cruises are really popular though from what I understand, so I'll bet there are a lot of them.

We've got a Star Trek group on board with us in October and it'll be interesting to see how much we really feel them once we are on the ship.

Hi Ellen,

You've got me and my group of 200 or so (mostly) women all taking art classes with Tim Holtz on your cruise too. We'll be in classes on sea days, so maybe there'll be more room at the pool for you. Some of our group are excited to maybe see the Trek folks too.

Patti

The "Hogs" cruises are really popular though from what I understand, so I'll bet there are a lot of them.

Like I said above, there'll be 2,000 of them. That's 2,000 out of 3,600 all with a very common interest. They may be doctors, lawyers, teachers, philanthropists and general wonderful people. But 2,000 out of 3,600 basically takes over the ship.

And at night they'll sometimes be dressed similarly which'll make them stand out more. Not that standing out is a bad thing. But if I see someone I know is part of my group, I may tend to call him/her over...and so on and so on and so on. And suddenly there's no more room around the piano.

(And I know the above fact because I went to their website. On their two formal nights, they'll be dressed in their "biker gear" and the waiters will be dressed somewhat similarly, for effect. VERY fun...if you're part of the group.

So I TRULY hope they have a wonderful time and hopefully it'll work out that I'll be on the Liberty that week (which works out better anyway because it's $100 cheaper) having a great time as well.

Apparently with a bunch of knittin' grannies...

Hi Ellen,

You've got me and my group of 200 or so (mostly) women all taking art classes with Tim Holtz on your cruise too. We'll be in classes on sea days, so maybe there'll be more room at the pool for you. Some of our group are excited to maybe see the Trek folks too.

Patti

I've actually heard of this guy.... Are you a scrapbooker, Patti? I'm a stamper, so we've got some cross over there... :)

Have you been chatting with folks over on the roll call, or are you going to be too busy on board with your group to play with us CC'rs?

Like I said above, there'll be 2,000 of them. That's 2,000 out of 3,600 all with a very common interest. They may be doctors, lawyers, teachers, philanthropists and general wonderful people. But 2,000 out of 3,600 basically takes over the ship.

I was actually talking about groups in general... I don't doubt your number, we've sure seen reports of large groups of "Hogs" on these cruises in the past. I am curious where you got it from though... was it just based on past cruises that they've done or do you have some secret source you can share with us...

Have you convinced your friend to go????

Archived