I want to take my wife to ALASKA for her

30th birthday in July of 2010. The fares are a little bit higher then some of the carribean cruises out of Florida at that time. Especially since I live in Florida and the ports are all driveable. The Alaska cruise would involve airfare, which, from Louisville, KY is not that bad. ( This is where we would leave our kids with the grandparents) It is right around $320 p/p r/t. I guess, what I am wondering...... from any of you who have cruised Alaska... IS IT WORTH IT? Is it as beautiful/breathtaking as it seems. Comments, experiences are all welcome. THANKS!!

I took an Alaska cruise back in 2005 and it was worth it. I want to go back again; I am hoping to do the Carnival Spirit in May out of Seattle. If you like nature, this is the cruise for you. It is breath taking. I lived in Florida all my life (until 2 years ago) and coming from FLorida and seeing Alaska I was just in awe! I personally think it is worth it; some might say its not.

Alaska is GORGEOUS!

Nothing like cruising the Inside Passage and feeling like you can outstretch your arms and touch two islands.

If you like to snorkel, you can snorkel in Ketchikan. DH did this with our teen DDs and their freinds. They had a blast!

Alaska is a bit cheaper in May and September.

Have done Alaska twice, the latest being last year. I would not hesitate in doing it again. Other than the Grand Canyon, it was the most spectacular views we have seen to date. You will not be sorry. If you are traveling Carnival, the Spirit is a wonderful ship.

I took my husband on an Alaskan cruise for his 30th birthday a few years ago. Since I hate the winter and cold weather in MD I wasn't looking really looking forward to a trip in a place known for its cold weather and ice, but he wanted to go. Well, I LOVED it. Yes, I was bundled up layer after layer but it was gorgeous...like nothing I've ever seen before. I definately want to go back. He just needs to get me to Venice first.

30th birthday in July of 2010. The fares are a little bit higher then some of the carribean cruises out of Florida at that time. Especially since I live in Florida and the ports are all driveable. The Alaska cruise would involve airfare, which, from Louisville, KY is not that bad. ( This is where we would leave our kids with the grandparents) It is right around $320 p/p r/t. I guess, what I am wondering...... from any of you who have cruised Alaska... IS IT WORTH IT? Is it as beautiful/breathtaking as it seems. Comments, experiences are all welcome. THANKS!!

OMG! So worth it. (so much that we are going back next year- from Tx)

It is so beautiful. Just to see the majesty of the mountians and glaciers. My girls went with us...they were 17 and 18 at the time...even they loved it. They still tell people how much they enjoyed it.

the ship docked in Skagway. The glacier is Hubbard Glacier (altho I bet they are all beautiful). It was 40 degrees and sprinkeling when we were at the glacier...my poor Tx Kiddo was Freezing...but she loved it "all part of being in Alaska"

a712.jpg.06170788446b5543fafcb7e9ab94dd3b.jpg

2280.jpg.58d25db00d6829e60b8348dff406bf56.jpg

HubbardGlacier1.jpg.5ec90dd1601e0c8b57e3ad3f2a048d9c.jpg

sydglacier.jpg.77ad4dafc0cfc5d60b3ba49f93ea52d7.jpg

Yes, Yes, Yes it is worth it!!!! My Fun Group went on the Carnival Spirit July 22, 2009. We did the Northern Route out of Vancouver, B.C. I am so glad I did this cruise it was breathtaking. It was worth every penny!!! Next year Carnival will be leaving from Seattle which makes the airfare much cheaper - our airfare was $713.00 per person because our return flight was out of Anchorage. This was my first time on a Spirit class ship and I loved it.

Your wife will love this trip as a birthday gift.

In 2007 we did the round trip, Inside Passage, out of Vancouver. Flew from Florida to Chicago (met friends there), than from Chicago to Seattle, and the Carnival bus from the airport to Vancouver. We did this cruise the last week in Sept. and believe me, it was and still is our best cruise ever!

The next time we sail Alaska, we plan on the Land/sea combo as we want to see more of the interior.:)

My son and I did Alaska last summer and loved it. I would wait and save your money until you can get a balcony. We paid last summer $400 pp airfare and $800 pp to cruise for interior. I would also look at going late summer after school starts maybe Sept when prices go back down. May and end of season prices are lowest. (May and Sept?) Plus you need to figure excursions and gratuity (and souveniers) so that is another $1000.

After 22 cruises to most of the Caribbean and Mediterranean we did Alaska this year.

By all means cruisers, go to Alaska! It's MAJESTIC and the most beautiful scenery I've seen anywhere so far!

I can say without a shadow of a doubt, it was the cruise I enjoyed the most. We're already looking at booking another trip to Alaska and would love to do a Princess 15-day there in 2011.

Your wife will never be able to thank you enough! Book it and watch the rates. Our balcony cabin was about $900 this year but the rates hit bottom when the economy did. When they drop, call for a price adjustment. Your airfare sounds pretty reasonable too. What are you waiting for??? :)

Your airfare sounds pretty reasonable too. What are you waiting for??? :)

As usual, my wife is skeptical. I am in the Air Force; and she feels that if we book a cruise this far out, then we will surely get orders to move somewhere! I can't really blame her; we have lived here for 5 years.

Plus, I have to work out the logistics to have my parents watch my children.... shouldn't be a problem. I really do like the airfare price!:)

Thanks for the feedback and insight from all of you!

As usual, my wife is skeptical. I am in the Air Force; and she feels that if we book a cruise this far out, then we will surely get orders to move somewhere! I can't really blame her; we have lived here for 5 years.

Plus, I have to work out the logistics to have my parents watch my children.... shouldn't be a problem. I really do like the airfare price!:)

Thanks for the feedback and insight from all of you!

Don't be in any hurry to book so far out; they've been having trouble filling the ships this summer, and some of the price reductions have been pretty amazing. I did Alaska for the second time in June, and because I live in the Seattle area and my work schedule is flexible, am tempted to go again in September, if the price is right. One travel agent told me that the Alaska market is becoming oversaturated; I would imagine good deals for next year will be easy to find, too, if you wait.

I have never cruised to Alaska. But, I have been up there for my job about 5 times over the last couple of years. Each time, I've taken some personal time while up there. Fishing is crazy. Hunting as well.

My son was with me once a couple of years ago and he had a blast. We drove up from Anchorage to Fairbanks and went through Denali/McKinley park. Amazing place. I think it's the most beautiful place on the planet (at least of all the places I've been to which is fairly extensive).

My concern for cruising there is my wife doesn't like cold weather. It makes it tough for her. If i were to cruise it, I'd take a week for land based fun while we were up there before flying home from Anchorage.

I guess booking a balcony cabin on the land side of the boat would be a premium on a one-way cruise.

.....YES!

wasiii

Glacier Bay, Alaska,,,,,,best cruise I have ever been on, end of story, case closed. The experience is unlike anything you will ever see plodding around the Caribbean. I'm glad I did 12 regular cruises before I went there though, its an almost impossible act to follow.

We just got back from our Spirit cruise in late June. After 15 others cruises to ports all over, I do say this was by far the best one ever. We will do this one again very soon. I don't think you will be disappointed. If time allows do a few pre and post cruise days. Anchorage is a very beautiful place and so is Vancouver. Well worth the time.

If your wife likes NATUre in all its glory ..Alaska is for you

Check my review of Spirit ..lovely ship .lovely crew lovely cruise

Unfortunately next year itinerary is different ...no Vancouver no Sitka or Whittier ...loved all 3

I still rave about this cruise ..go to Alaska board to plan

Yes excursions are more$$ but really worth it ...whales and Glaciers esp ..GO TO YUKOn out of Skagway one word AWESOME ...I may be partial being Canadian but it was truly GORGEOUS

YOU will LOVE ALASKA

Archived