American Airline from Heathrow to San Juan

iamwhatiamnot

Hi All

Has anyone been on AA recently (long haul) we are booked on this airline through Royal Caribbean for a cruise and used seat guru to pick our seats and had them confirmed through RC. Can't afford business class so going cattle class. I have seen some very poor reviews about AA Cabin Staff and am now begining to freak out as I am not a good flyer and I also have my mum who is 89 years old with a curviture of the spine. She needs a lot of padding behind her to make her comfy. I always take my own little pillows to put behind her but just wanted other peoples views on treatment on their flights, food etc.

American Airlines is like most of the USA airlines. By that I mean if you are used to flying airlines such as British Airways it will not offer the level of service and food that you are used to on BA. But it does have some advantages such as the ability to select your seat assignments earlier. If you are concerned about the food you could request a special meal for this flight.

We fly American Airlines all the time. We do fly Business or First Class though. What aircraft are you in?

In terms of the flight attendants it will vary but by and large we have enjoyed most of them on the International Flights.

We have no concerns flying American Airlines.

Keith

American Airlines is like most of the USA airlines. By that I mean if you are used to flying airlines such as British Airways it will not offer the level of service and food that you are used to on BA. But it does have some advantages such as the ability to select your seat assignments earlier. If you are concerned about the food you could request a special meal for this flight.

We fly American Airlines all the time. We do fly Business or First Class though. What aircraft are you in?

In terms of the flight attendants it will vary but by and large we have enjoyed most of them on the International Flights.

We have no concerns flying American Airlines.

Keith

Thank you for your reply. No we have not flow BA but have done Virgin and New Zealand but unfortunately we did not have these to choose from when we booked the cruise with flights included.

Heathrow to JFK on 777 then JFK to San Juan on 757 and have pre booked rows 41 and 42 and same on return.

Thank you for your reply. No we have not flow BA but have done Virgin and New Zealand but unfortunately we did not have these to choose from when we booked the cruise with flights included.

Heathrow to JFK on 777 then JFK to San Juan on 757 and have pre booked rows 41 and 42 and same on return.

Glad to hear that you'll be on the 777 on the Heathrow to JFK flight. And the 757 will be fine for the flight over to San Juan.

Keith

OP - I have done most of my long haul flying in the AA coach cabin and have been able to survive OK. Here is my take:

1) You will find that the AA 777 seat is actually a little wider and has may have more seat pitch than the equivalent Virgin coach seat.

2) The food is certainly "nothing special" in coach but this isn't a big factor for me on flights. Alcoholic drinks are also not complimentary but again this is not why I am on an aircraft.

3) AA's international cabin crews are older - especially on a run like JFK to LHR - but they typically are friendly enough as well as being helpful.

4) The entertainment system on the 777 is OK with a decent selection of movies, television shows, music, and a few simple games.

5) The 2 seat window/aisle rows - A,B or H,J - are great for two people travelling together as you get a bit of privacy.

Have a great trip and don't be worried about flying on American!

Ahhhh thank you so much for your helpful info. Not looking forward to long haul but then never do gets me from A to B. My main concern is mum at 89 year old need a bit of TLC and so she should at her age. Not tooooo worried about food as we will be having a breakfast before we fly so can put up with the airline food (they are all the usual plastic food) anyway. You have all put my mind at rest as to what AA is like. Wish I could do Business Class but £2,000 more on each flight x 5 is rather expensive.

Ahhhh thank you so much for your helpful info. Not looking forward to long haul but then never do gets me from A to B. My main concern is mum at 89 year old need a bit of TLC and so she should at her age. Not tooooo worried about food as we will be having a breakfast before we fly so can put up with the airline food (they are all the usual plastic food) anyway. You have all put my mind at rest as to what AA is like. Wish I could do Business Class but £2,000 more on each flight x 5 is rather expensive.

I am sure you will all do well and I wish you the best for your flight. If you like to listen to music or to watch the movies I would recommend bringing your own head set with you as I think the quality would be better.

Have a great holiday.

Keith

Wish I could do Business Class but £2,000 more on each flight x 5 is rather expensive.

Just get the biz class for mum, and the rest can stay in coach. :D They'd give her plenty of attention there, and you'd have no worries about her well being and comfort.

Hi All

Has anyone been on AA recently (long haul) we are booked on this airline through Royal Caribbean for a cruise and used seat guru to pick our seats and had them confirmed through RC. Can't afford business class so going cattle class. I have seen some very poor reviews about AA Cabin Staff .....

It's not all negative. If you would like to see some recent positive comments about AA, see the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1045518.

Bob

I would say that AA in economy is on par with Virgin, that's really not saying that AA has moved up, more that Virgin has moved down.

AA is our domestic airline of choice, it is fine for the length of flights you are taking, just be glad they switched to the 752's out of JFK, those A300's were nasty beasts.

Just get the biz class for mum, and the rest can stay in coach. :D They'd give her plenty of attention there, and you'd have no worries about her well being and comfort.

Would love to do this for her but she is recently widowed and still needs a lot of support from me mentally wise. She is of that generation that men walked on the outside of the pavement, opened doors etc. Basically men were gentlemen. She would be absolutely lost if she had to fly in another class to me and yes I would love to fly business but the cost is very prohibitive.

Thank you all for your comments.

Archived