Parade of ships Aug 29th

Q-step

That was fun watching all the ships leaving. Oceana first. QM2 next. Then Independence of the Seas. Then Black Watch. And Grand Princess last.

You can just see the hull of the QM2 at the top left of this picture taken from the webcam on Hythe pier.

nd07q0.jpg

And this is a picture of Hythe pier taken from the QM2 webcam.

fntvsg.jpg

We had a great afternoon out in Southampton at Town Quay (a bit of a struggle to find a parking spot), a great vantage point for watching ships leave port.

With so many ships leaving there was a lot of people waving relatives off and the quay was heaving.

Quite near to our left the Oceana pulled slowly out into the river with a lot of friends and family waving madly at their relatives...as it passed the QM2 their was an battle of the ships horns which brought a cheer from the crowd.

The Qm2 at its new time (5.00pm) facing the wrong way slowly moved sideways from the dock giving large blasts from the ships whistle bringing children running to look. As it moved away QM2 turned 180 to face the right way and proceed on her journey.

In the meantime Independence of the Seas had left her berth and was coming right past our vantage point which was perfect, as there was a lot of relatives waving loved ones of this was also special. A big ship too, i did spot the climbing wall on top deck CUNARD? No i didnt think so.

Next was Fred Olsens Black Watch a lot smaller but all the same good to watch passing us, last of all was Grand Princess which sailed right past us and was special to. All in all lots of ships and horns a great afternoon out.

I am looking forward to our Oct 23 QM2 trip( gate 10) as we will i think be passing Town Quay where their was a great send off for all the ships.

Fred & Sian

Wow, that must have been fantastic! Anxiously awaiting October for two QM2 Sailaways. One from the new Ocean terminal and one from Mayflower with Hansol1966 and about 2600 others.

Yorkslady: I get teary eyed and gooseflesh every time, as you have witnessed:)

Denise

I was up at Calshot which was also heaving with people. The traffic jam to get up to the castle was long. We arrived just as Oceana was emerging from behind the oil tankers at Fawley. It is a truly spectacular spot to view the ships as they have to come in really close. A few people on the beach got a wet surprise from the wake of the QM2. They all sounded their whistles for us except for the Black Watch (:mad:). You can guess whose whistle sounded the best.. It is very interesting to watch the route they have to take as they turn to go past the Isle Of Wight.

Now really looking forward to my trip on the QM2 in October.

Just a quick reply to any Cunard Passengers leaving from the Mayflower

or City Cruise Terminal and have relatives..freinds waving you off then Town quay gives you a perfect viewing point as these ships will sail straight past you (very close 50-100yds). It is a great vantage point with a lot of parking on the quay with ample room to move about to watch the sailaway.

After the ships parade yesterday i am looking forward to sailing past Town Quay on Oct 23rd after seeing the good send off the ships were given.

The QE2 Terminal was to far away to see passengers but gave a great view of QM2 pirouetting.

Fred & Sian.

Archived