Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

royalcruz, there is so much info on this thread it is very confusing. I am thinking that flying Southwest our of Islip to Ft. Lauderdale is more cost effective than booking flight through cruise line. If we book on our own I want to fly in the day before the cruise. We are not looking for anything fancy, just good location, dinner, on premises and breakfast before we leave for the port. Also, smoking permitted if possible. Any suggestions? madmarti:rolleyes:

royalcruz, there is so much info on this thread it is very confusing. I am thinking that flying Southwest our of Islip to Ft. Lauderdale is more cost effective than booking flight through cruise line. If we book on our own I want to fly in the day before the cruise. We are not looking for anything fancy, just good location, dinner, on premises and breakfast before we leave for the port. Also, smoking permitted if possible. Any suggestions? madmarti:rolleyes:

I don't know which hotels permit smoking. It sounds as though you want to be able to eat dinner right at the hotel. The airport Hilton and Sheraton have restaurants inside them. The Sleep Inn mentioned above has free shuttles and breakfast, and has a Mexican restaurant, Walgreens, and Publix on the block. The Embassy Suites includes full cooked breakfast and there are a bunch of restaurants on the block. Hyatt Place north has free breakfast and is next door to an Outback. The Rodeway Inn on State Rd 84 has a sports bar & grill on the premises and free shuttles. Check reviews on that one.

I've read that Alamo at FLL uses a shuttle to deliver to the cruiseport, but does anyone know if the FLL rental car shuttle also picks up customers from the cruiseport for post-cruise rentals?

I would be interested to know the answer to this as well.

We have a post-cruise car rental arranged with Alamo, and would like to know if Alamo pick up at the cruise port?

Will be driving 12 (or so) hours to get to FLL on Dec 22nd and leaving on HAL Dec.23rd. It is me, DH, and 6 year old DD. Which hotel would best fit our criteria:

free breakfast, pool, non-smoking rooms, free parking for our car for the week, cheap taxi ride/free shuttle to port, hoping for under $150 for the night.

Since we will be getting in a dinner time on Tuesday we will just eat anywhere that has a children's menu so local restaurants/shopping nearby is not really a factor.

I have looked and think the Hyatt Place near 17th looks like a pretty good match if I use one of the websites mentioned on CC to find a lower price than their hotel website's prices.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

As already noted, Hyatt Place will be fine. Summerfield Suites has also been coming up on hotwire for $59 or so. Might be worth checking into, it meets all of your requirements--pool, free hot breakfast, pool, non-smoking rooms, free parking for up to 7 days, free shuttle from airport, $8 pp to port (cab would be cheaper), and its a suite. Even for just one night, it might be nice to have some extra space for 3 of you. There are restaurants right nearby (you could walk it but the hotel shuttle will take you within 3 mile area). And it would cost less!!

I think winning notes have been posted on the Priceline thread on this board. Amenites and star levels keep changing. Recently, it has been showing as 3*, Hollywood area, and 2 amenities. You can check betterbidding to see if there are updates.

Good luck

ML

Any recent info, positive or negative, regarding the Hampton Inn on Sterling Rd? I am thinking of booking pre-cruise....$112 total which includes transportation to and from the port plus parking. We are only driving in from Tampa, but wanted to be there the night prior to visit relatives.

If you purchase a room on Priceline or Hotwire.....would this include the free transportation and parking if it is offered by the hotel or do they charge an additional fee?

Thanks!!

Sorry to post again, but I did a search on Hotwire and came across the following for $62 on 11/5 - 11/6. I checked better bidding and didn't find a similar array of icons...not sure which hotel this would be. If anyone has any idea I would appreciate the help! Thanks!!

3* Ft. Lauderdale - Hollywood Int. Airport

Smoke free

Shuttle

Comp. Breakfast

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Laundry

Business

i am in need of some advice for a shuttle for 7 people from fll airport to port everglades. Any ideas please?

SAS transport will probably shuttle you for a low pp fee, but 3 taxis will only cost about $30 plus tip total.

Edited by royalcruz

Sorry to post again, but I did a search on Hotwire and came across the following for $62 on 11/5 - 11/6. I checked better bidding and didn't find a similar array of icons...not sure which hotel this would be. If anyone has any idea I would appreciate the help! Thanks!!

3* Ft. Lauderdale - Hollywood Int. Airport

Smoke free

Shuttle

Comp. Breakfast

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Laundry

Business

There are a lot of new 3 star hotels in the airport area. Check the sticky on this page to see if you can get any clues. The hotels do include whatever amenities are usually included regardless of where you purchase the booking. The exception is when the breakfast/shuttles/parking are part of a package deal.

Edited by royalcruz

There are a lot of new 3 star hotels in the airport area. Check the sticky on this page to see if you can get any clues. The hotels do include whatever amenities are usually included regardless of where you purchase the booking. The exception is when the breakfast/shuttles/parking are part of a package deal.

Thanks for the info! I looked at the sticky and several websites to see if I could figure out which hotel it was....but I want to make sure the hotel includes parking for the week....guess I will have to forgo Hotwire/Priceline.

Royalcruz,

While perusing the 960+ entries in this thread, I saw your mention of Total Wine in response to someone's query. I would never have thought to look for one in Fort Lauderdale.

They carry my favorite champagne so I can pick up some for our 27-day cruise in May 2011. Even better, though, is that in Florida they carry liquor AND that includes my husband's cherished single malt. (I drive 70 miles one way from where we live now to get his Scotch.

Neither of these are available on Princess ships and it would be tough to transport them safely on our flight from Virginia. No matter safe container I have tried putting my husband's single malt in to transport it, he has sworn that it "tainted" his Scotch!

You have just made his long trip so much better.

Hi there, -glad you're back.

Over the past few years you have been a wealth of VERY useful information. If I haven't thanked you- I'd like to now!:D

Now on to my question:

I just got what i think is an interesting Hotel on Hotwire. It's the IL Lugano[sp?]Any thoughts about this Hotel.

Any restaurants nearby or on the water taxi route that you might recommend

and also do you know the cost from the Airport AND from the Hotel to the Cruise Port!

Enough questions for now LOL!:eek:

Hi there, -glad you're back.

Over the past few years you have been a wealth of VERY useful information. If I haven't thanked you- I'd like to now!:D

Now on to my question:

I just got what i think is an interesting Hotel on Hotwire. It's the IL Lugano[sp?]Any thoughts about this Hotel.

Any restaurants nearby or on the water taxi route that you might recommend

and also do you know the cost from the Airport AND from the Hotel to the Cruise Port!

Enough questions for now LOL!:eek:

I'm not sure to whom you're addressing your question?? If it's Bequia, the last post by Bequia was March 25th, 2010 :( . I hope someone else can help you.

I don't know for sure, but I hope that Bequia is just suffering from CC "burnout" and will be back :).

I'm not sure to whom you're addressing your question?? If it's Bequia, the last post by Bequia was March 25th, 2010 :( . I hope someone else can help you.

I don't know for sure, but I hope that Bequia is just suffering from CC "burnout" and will be back :).

Thanks so much for responding - looks like I'll be waiting for a while LOL! :rolleyes:

Anyone else that might know the answers to my questions can jump in too!:D

We are staying at the Hampton Inn on SW12th (airport north cruise port). If I remember right there is a shopping center within walking distance. How about a good fish restaurant or even a good place to eat for 3 couples. Nothing too expensive. We are open to suggestions. Have eaten at Johnny v's and a crab house (in Dania beach). I love Ft Lauderdale and Las Olas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Happy Sailing to all.

The hotel will provide transportation to the Rendez-vous restauarnt. It's a decent seafood place and very resonbble prices.

copper6606,

Suggest you check out the reviews for this hotel on TripAdvisor. There are a large number and many of them are recent. People either loved it or hated it. Those who hated it were very specific about their issues and many of them had the same issues. You will have to decide it they are things with which you can deal.

It also did not sound as if the hotel is very convenient to restaurants or shopping. The hotel would provide transport to places in a 3-mile radius but would not pick up afterwards.

Good luck.

There is a 2 star property for 92 currently on Hotwire, showing

Resort,beachfront pool,dining,business centre, laundry....I am guessing it is the Ocean Manor Beach Resort. Has anyone stayed here? Is there anything nearby..the web page for this resort looks good but must be a reason for the 2 star ratings. Can you think of another resort this could be? Seems kinda of expensive for a 2 star...I was hoping it was the Pelican but that is now a 4 star I believe. Any help would be appreciated..it has been on hotwire for about a week now..

My dates for travel are Feb 3/ll -06 pre cruise.

Thanks..

We will be staying at the Hyatt Place FLL South and need to know how far it is to walk to a stop for the Water Taxi. Also, besides the scenery, what kind of places does the Water Taxi take you to? Is it a good way to kill a few hours instead of just staying at the hotel? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is a 2 star property for 92 currently on Hotwire, showing

Resort,beachfront pool,dining,business centre, laundry....I am guessing it is the Ocean Manor Beach Resort. Has anyone stayed here? Is there anything nearby..the web page for this resort looks good but must be a reason for the 2 star ratings. Can you think of another resort this could be? Seems kinda of expensive for a 2 star...I was hoping it was the Pelican but that is now a 4 star I believe. Any help would be appreciated..it has been on hotwire for about a week now..

My dates for travel are Feb 3/ll -06 pre cruise.

Thanks..

That sound VERY expensive for a 2 star on HOTWIRE!!!

I just paid $70 for a 4 star!

I got Il Lugano

That sound VERY expensive for a 2 star on HOTWIRE!!!

I just paid $70 for a 4 star!

I got Il Lugano

I wonder if hotwire ever make mistakes, with the stars? I think it is very expensive for a 2 star as well..and it's no wonder that it has been there all week and no takers.

Royalcruz,

While perusing the 960+ entries in this thread, I saw your mention of Total Wine in response to someone's query. I would never have thought to look for one in Fort Lauderdale.

They carry my favorite champagne so I can pick up some for our 27-day cruise in May 2011. Even better, though, is that in Florida they carry liquor AND that includes my husband's cherished single malt. (I drive 70 miles one way from where we live now to get his Scotch.

Neither of these are available on Princess ships and it would be tough to transport them safely on our flight from Virginia. No matter safe container I have tried putting my husband's single malt in to transport it, he has sworn that it "tainted" his Scotch!

You have just made his long trip so much better.

Congrats on your "award". Total Wine is the best wine store that we have in Fort Lauderdale. I also like ABC but it is not near the cruise hotels; they carry my favorite Prosecco (Collalto) and Total doesn't.