Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I am pretty sure that Springhill Suites near Stirling Rd in the airport area has free shuttles and breakfast and is the only one that does. Maybe 2 couples can share a suite. Courtyard on the beach is nice and is close to the port and airport and restaurants. The Bahia Mar is 2 blocks away and would be cheaper for your friends. Miramar is too far, as is Ft Laud east. There are 2 Renaissances, one is right by the port and one is further out in Plantation.

The two couples would have to be pretty comfortable with each other because the suites don't have a separate, closed bedroom, so there would not be any privacy. They're more like a Hyatt Place room/suite and one couple would have to sleep on the sofa sleeper.

They do have free breakfast and of course they have free airport shuttles as well as a free shuttle to Port Everglades, but you would have to pay $8 per person for the shuttle from the port to the hotel.

Edited by Music City

Your hotel is about 10 miles north of the airport. I'm not sure which shopping center is Dailland but it must be really small. I think there may be a bar/convenience store on Cypress Creek Rd within walking distance but there are no nice wine stores.

The closest I can think of:

Publix on Dixie Hwy/E Commercial Blvd

67 Wine and Spirits

ABC wine/liquor on Copans Rd

Other than the hotel bar there is not much on Cypress Creek Road for a country mile (or 2...or 3)

RoyalCruz, did you say the Marriott Beach and Spa, is not close or within walking distance to anything? I will be there on 22 Jan; and was hoping to walk to a resturaunt. Thanks for any and all info.

Thank You for the feedback-its a tough decision-wish we had more time to site see. Right now its narrowed down to the Ritz/W/Il Lugano/for FLL and Lowes for MIA-it all depends on the airfare and times-we prefer AA airlines which goes directly into MIA.

I will review the mandaran as well.

Looking forward to continueing seeing the reviews!

Keep up the fine work and Thanks for all you do for us all!

Il Lugano is a very nice boutique hotel. The only drawbacks are that the cab ride/fare is further and the dining choices within walking distance are good but more limited (recommend Catalina, 33rd & Dine, Greek Islands Taverna, or Marrtarrano's but avoid the latter if you don't like a lot of loud noise). It's really nice to lay out on the futons and watch the boats go by on the intracoastal.

RoyalCruz, did you say the Marriott Beach and Spa, is not close or within walking distance to anything? I will be there on 22 Jan; and was hoping to walk to a resturaunt. Thanks for any and all info.

The 3030 restaurant on the premises is great and there is a casual restaurant by the beach that is open for lunch and dinner. You can walk to restaurants outside of the hotel but it's a further walk than other hotels. The hotel is 2 blocks walk to A1A, the main beach road. Bahia Cabana restaurant is about 4 blocks away but the strip is a mile away (north).

I stumbled on this thread yesterday. And I'm sooo glad I did! There is a wealth of info here. We are cruising out of FLL April 3rd on the Freedom. DH and I are thinking about arriving in FLL a day early. After reading the first 24 pages of this thread, it seems Hyatt Place North meets everything we need for an overnight stay. When I looked up their rates for the first week of April, I was getting a rate of $169/night. My question is what website(s) is everyone using to get the $89/night rate? I went to hyatt.com and valuetrips.com and both sites were quoting $169. If you are using Hotwire, what region in FLL are you bidding on? I'm a little skeptical to use Hotwire just because you don't know the name of the hotel first. And with my luck, I would probably get something that won't fit our family of 6's needs (ie. transportation from airport, transportation to port, breakfast). Thanks for your help!

According to BetterBidding, the HPnorth is coming up as the only 3 star in the las olas/downtown/porteverglades zone, but as you know they can add a new hotel. In the same zone on Priceline a 3 star could be either HPnorth or Riverside Hotel.

I just had a quick question. How has the Port been and RCCI in particular about taking soda on board the Allure? A student of my mom's said that when she cruised RCCI (am waiting to find out which port), RCCI was confiscating soda right and left. We are set to cruise in June, and I would really like to bring some with us. I was just a little curious. Is it better to check it than to carry it on? Is that maybe the problem? I know at Port Canaveral and in Tampa (DCL and CCL) we carried soda and water onto the ships. TIA.

We need a very reasonable hotel for 2 adults and 7 children. We don't want more than two rooms due to price. Any ideas? It would be great to have a complimentary breakfast and airport/cruise port shuttle. If no shuttle, then not too far from either one due to transportation costs.

I know, probably asking the impossible!

Thanks RoyalCruz. I have one more question. How far is the marriott from the port? Drive time?

The Marriott Harbor Beach is only about 1.5 miles from the port entrance. Driving time is 5 minutes but if the bridge is up (and working properly) it could take 15 minutes.

I just had a quick question. How has the Port been and RCCI in particular about taking soda on board the Allure? A student of my mom's said that when she cruised RCCI (am waiting to find out which port), RCCI was confiscating soda right and left. We are set to cruise in June, and I would really like to bring some with us. I was just a little curious. Is it better to check it than to carry it on? Is that maybe the problem? I know at Port Canaveral and in Tampa (DCL and CCL) we carried soda and water onto the ships. TIA.

TIP: Because the Allure just started sailing last month and because your question is very specific you will get more information on the RCCL board.

We need a very reasonable hotel for 2 adults and 7 children. We don't want more than two rooms due to price. Any ideas? It would be great to have a complimentary breakfast and airport/cruise port shuttle. If no shuttle, then not too far from either one due to transportation costs.

Homewood Suites on Griffin Rd has free shuttles and breakfast and 2 BR 2 bath suites with 2 queens, 1 king, and a sleep sofa. Rates vary per date and room type. Doubletree Gallery One has 2 BR suites but no shuttles or comp breakfast. Try hiltonfamilymvp.com for low rates if you have an hhonors number.

got the summerfield suites on hotwire for a good price (72.00) there are 12 of us traveling together. just wondering about things to do the day we get there. can we get to the beach via taxi or bus etc to just walk around? Are there shops worth looking at near the beach? is there enough to do on los olas blvd for the whole day? any casual resturants near by for dinner- a chain is fine- like olive garden etc (need something that everyone can find something they like)? any help appreciated thanks so much also how is this hotel?

I really need some advice/help regarding hotels, parking, etc. for an upcoming cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

We are flying, and our friends are driving. We originally thought about trying to get a hotel which would provide parking and shuttles.

Then, we thought maybe we should do a priceline/hotwire, try for a beach hotel to enjoy for a few days, and just take the savings and pay for parking at the pier.

We are 2 couples in our fifties. We have a few days prior to cruising to beach, shop, etc. We enjoy doing all kinds of stuff.

I found two four star hotels (one at FL beach, and one at Hollywood Beach) for $89. a night. Seems like a pretty good deal considering the hotels that provide parking cost in the 120-130 range. We can just park at the port and pay.

Suggestions???

got the summerfield suites on hotwire for a good price (72.00) there are 12 of us traveling together. just wondering about things to do the day we get there. can we get to the beach via taxi or bus etc to just walk around? Are there shops worth looking at near the beach? is there enough to do on los olas blvd for the whole day? any casual resturants near by for dinner- a chain is fine- like olive garden etc (need something that everyone can find something they like)? any help appreciated thanks so much also how is this hotel?

Across the street is Oakwood Plaza: multiplex cinema, discount stores like Marshalls, Barnes & Noble, Kmart, McD's, Taco Bell, a diner. Further back into the plaza past Home Depot is TGIF, Sweet Tomatoes, Ale House (recommended), and Dave & Busters.

Las Olas is about 20 minutes away by car but will take at least an hour by bus because you have to take 2. There is about 2 hrs of shopping and there are lots of restaurants to choose from. The shops at the beach sell crappy beach wear. E Las Olas Blvd goes all the way from downtown to the beach, about 2 miles long (there is nothing but houses and waterways between downtown and the beach, so take the bus or trolley). Maybe you can order a taxi van for your whole group to go to there together from the hotel. You can also go to the broadwalk at the beach in Hollywood, where you will find a few shops and lots of ethnic restaurants. It will take 2 buses to get to Hollywood beach (16 E to the 4 E/S) or 3 to Ft Lauderdale (16 E to the 1 N to the 40 E/N) or 2 to Las Olas (16 E to the 1 N).

Can you tell me what the area was for this hotel and what amenities were listed so that I can try to ID it on Hotwire?

Thanks.

In addition to RC's suggestions I would add the Hyatt Summerfield Suites-FLL South. They have a 2 BR/2 BA Trio (with full kitchen) that has a king in one bedroom and 2 queens in the other. Depending on how old these kids are you could put 3 in the king bed and 2 each in the 2 queen beds. Now, I'm sure you can guess who gets to sleep on the sofa sleeper.

They have a good breakfast and free airport shuttle and a port shuttle for $8 per person.

I'm sure that is a studio room/suite and not a 1 or 2 bedroom suite. I hope you booked several rooms.

Nearby on the same side of Stirling Road is Chipotle and Burger King. Across Stirling Road is Mickey D's and Taco Bell and on into Oakwood Plaza is Moonlite Diner, Wendy's, Hollywood Ale House, Dave and Buster's, TGI Fridays, Sal's Italian Restorante, Sweet Tomatoes and Red Lobster.

Edited by Music City

I really need some advice/help regarding hotels, parking, etc. for an upcoming cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

We are flying, and our friends are driving. We originally thought about trying to get a hotel which would provide parking and shuttles.

Then, we thought maybe we should do a priceline/hotwire, try for a beach hotel to enjoy for a few days, and just take the savings and pay for parking at the pier.

We are 2 couples in our fifties. We have a few days prior to cruising to beach, shop, etc. We enjoy doing all kinds of stuff.

I found two four star hotels (one at FL beach, and one at Hollywood Beach) for $89. a night. Seems like a pretty good deal considering the hotels that provide parking cost in the 120-130 range. We can just park at the port and pay.

Suggestions???

If you're going to stay at least 3 or 4 days prior to your cruise, how about a 2 BR/2 BA condo in Lauderdale By the Sea? I've stayed in this condo and it's one block to Publix Grocery store and 3 blocks to the beach. There are some really great restaurants and shops and the pier only about 4 blocks away. Once you arrive you could leave the car parked and walk everywhere. In this particular condo the owner, Barbara, usually stays there through March so it won't be available until April, but there are plenty others on the same web site.

http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/57630.html

Parking at the port is $15 per day, but I would suggest use the link to below to book off-site parking at a discount.

http://www.globalairportparking.com/

Any definitive opinions on how much a cab should cost (with reasonable tip) from FLL to the Riverside Hotel & then from the Riverside to the Port???

I was under the impression originally that it would be around $20 & $15 respectively---but recent postings and reviews indicate that $35 & $25 may be more like it. No drawbridges either way --right?

can you tell me pros/cons of this resort please?

How far from the airport and to Port Everglades?

Cost for Taxis?

Any good restaurants within walking distance?

Is the Beach free or do you pay for chairs/umbrellas,etc?

I got the Hotel with priceline for $109 plus tax for two nights in Dec 2011.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks Music City! That looks like a great option....have you ever stayed there? I sent an email to see if the dates are available. Also, regarding the parking, have you ever used this parking facility? Actually, I have it saved in my favorites because I found it before. However, after reading so many posts about "sketchy" parking options, I was thinking we would just park at the pier and suck it up. Our friends have a new car, and I would hate for something b ad to happen at a place I suggested....

Any definitive opinions on how much a cab should cost (with reasonable tip) from FLL to the Riverside Hotel & then from the Riverside to the Port???

I was under the impression originally that it would be around $20 & $15 respectively---but recent postings and reviews indicate that $35 & $25 may be more like it. No drawbridges either way --right?

i just got off the phone with concierge at the riverside he told me 15$ for taxi from airport,and 15$ to the port or you can take the shuttle from the hotel for 22$