Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

That is so funny. We were just talking about the guy doing the alligator show with the missing fingers. We were wondering if he has any less than when we were there about 6 years ago.

I think the last time we were there was 2009. He may be missing an arm or leg by now!! He was always real vague about how he actually lost them. Makes you wonder if it was another way besides alligators??

In response to the poster who wanted to watch the ships sail away...this past Feb we had an ocean view room in the tower of the Bahia Mar and were able to watch all the ships sail out on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. So that may be an option for you too.

Rae

Can anyone tell me if they know the procedure for RV parking for the Oasis? We are taking our RV down next Saturday and wasn't sure if there was parking for it or how much. Any details would be great.

For port parking questions, contact USA Parking at: 954-468-3680. If the port doesn't have any RV parking this thread should give you some clues as to where you can park....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=901322

I would not recommend this location without a car. It is not a good/safe neighborhood to be wandering around. A shuttle to the port will cost about $35, so if the shuttle costs less use the shuttle. There are KFC, Mc Donalds, and Miami Subs a few blocks east, and Moe's (burritos,etc) a few blocks west. There are 7-11 and Circle K a block or two east that might carry wine.

Thanks, Sharon! It turns out we are at a different Holiday Inn - Airport/Cruise. It looks like we are right across the street from a little shopping center, so we will probably be OK. Mary

Thanks, Sharon! It turns out we are at a different Holiday Inn - Airport/Cruise. It looks like we are right across the street from a little shopping center, so we will probably be OK. Mary

That location is fine. Old Heidelberg is good for dinner. The best HI location is on SE 17th St near the port, but it is usually a little more expensive.

It is beginning to look like we will have a late flight home day after our cruise. (On a Monday) Hotel is probably not going to let us stay past 12 noon so anyone know of anything to do from 12 to 5 on a Monday till we need to go to airport? Don't really want to spend 7 hours in the airport. Hoping to still get a reasonable price out for earlier in the day but don't look good so far!

It is beginning to look like we will have a late flight home day after our cruise. (On a Monday) Hotel is probably not going to let us stay past 12 noon so anyone know of anything to do from 12 to 5 on a Monday till we need to go to airport? Don't really want to spend 7 hours in the airport. Hoping to still get a reasonable price out for earlier in the day but don't look good so far!

Hotels are understanding about later flights. They will usually hold your luggage after checkout and allow you to hang around the pool or lobby or you can wander around and enjoy the town. So I would book in a neighborhood that has something around like the beach, mall, downtown, etc.:)

We will be driving to Ft. Lauderdale from central Florida for a 15 day cruise on March 6. We will not need a motel the night before the cruise, but will be flying back from L.A. after the cruise & would like a motel that night dues to our late arrival. Do you know of any hotels that will allow us to park our car during the cruise & stay the night after the cruise?

Thanks Royalcruz, didn't realize they would allow you to stick around. Could check out las olas blvd on the trolley maybe. We are staying at Hyatt by the harbor shops due to a free room.

Yes, you can get to Las Olas by trolley but you will need to transfer to the downtown route at the beach.

We will be driving to Ft. Lauderdale from central Florida for a 15 day cruise on March 6. We will not need a motel the night before the cruise, but will be flying back from L.A. after the cruise & would like a motel that night dues to our late arrival. Do you know of any hotels that will allow us to park our car during the cruise & stay the night after the cruise?

Here are most of the hotels that have offered long term parking packages.

http://www.parkingstay.com/p/ft-lauderdale.html

Coming in two nights before our cruise. Looking at connecting rooms at Pier 66 for $101 per room per night or Embassy Suites king suite for $196 per night. It will be 2 adults and 2 seventeen year old girls during spring break in April.

The weather should be nice, so you will be able to take advantage of the Hyatt resort property. This is the place to stay if you want to relax. If you are more interested in a very easy walk to lots of restaurants and wine store then ES is a better choice. They are both on SunTrolley and public bus routes to the beach.

Hi there! I am trying to work out a cruise for my family - total party of six adults - for Jan 4-9 2014. We would be staying in Ft Lauderdale Jan 3-4 (Friday night). We have stayed there a few times before, but it was only two of us and was a different time of year. Last time we stayed at the Hilton Marina and loved it. As I recall, the rooms were around $100 or so, but I used points. In any case there are no rooms there at the time we need and I am having a terrible time finding something for the six of us that does not destroy my budget. We want to be somewhat near a water taxi stop - we enjoyed riding around the area on the water taxi! All of the usual hotel booking sites show most major hotels sold out and the ones that are available are either very expensive ($500+ for our group for one night!) or look a little suspect. I know that in Myrtle Beach (near us) there are dozens of nice hotels that just do not show up on the mainstream sites. Do you have any secret places to share that might not break our budget for Jan 3? Thanks, Eddie.

Thanks Royalcruz, didn't realize they would allow you to stick around. Could check out las olas blvd on the trolley maybe. We are staying at Hyatt by the harbor shops due to a free room.

Some Hyatt's have a late ck-out option, some charge a small fee others do not. Call the front desk and ask.

We are staying for 2 nights after our cruise at the Riverside hotel in FLL. If we stay 3 nights our air will be less yet will need to pay for the hotel. What I wonder is if their is enough to do and see in FLL for 3 nights or 2 is perfect. We don't swim or go to the beach. We like to see all the sights and attractions. My felling is that 2 nights is what I need to do yet I love Cruise Critics point of view. Also would you recommend any trip for the 3rd day, out side of FLL? Thanks

We are staying for 2 nights after our cruise at the Riverside hotel in FLL. If we stay 3 nights our air will be less yet will need to pay for the hotel. What I wonder is if their is enough to do and see in FLL for 3 nights or 2 is perfect. We don't swim or go to the beach. We like to see all the sights and attractions. My felling is that 2 nights is what I need to do yet I love Cruise Critics point of view. Also would you recommend any trip for the 3rd day, out side of FLL? Thanks

Check out the Fort Lauderdale website: http://www.sunny.org for lots of ideas. If you are okay with renting a car on the 3rd day, I'd go to the Everglades National Park (either Shark Valley or Royal Palm) - assuming your cruise is in the winter (it is too hot and buggy in the summer).

Hi there! I am trying to work out a cruise for my family - total party of six adults - for Jan 4-9 2014. We would be staying in Ft Lauderdale Jan 3-4 (Friday night). We have stayed there a few times before, but it was only two of us and was a different time of year. Last time we stayed at the Hilton Marina and loved it. As I recall, the rooms were around $100 or so, but I used points. In any case there are no rooms there at the time we need and I am having a terrible time finding something for the six of us that does not destroy my budget. We want to be somewhat near a water taxi stop - we enjoyed riding around the area on the water taxi! All of the usual hotel booking sites show most major hotels sold out and the ones that are available are either very expensive ($500+ for our group for one night!) or look a little suspect. I know that in Myrtle Beach (near us) there are dozens of nice hotels that just do not show up on the mainstream sites. Do you have any secret places to share that might not break our budget for Jan 3? Thanks, Eddie.

You are coming during the most expensive time of year. Off-season rates are closer to $100. You want to be near the water taxi, so...

Sign in on hiltonfamilymvp.com with your hhonors numbers and you will find Bahia Mar at $183/night. Alhambra is $159 (regular) to $279 (2BR) but I don't know if they have availability or not. Hyatt Place is $179 on Valuetrips.com but is close to a mile from the water taxi.

I think 2 nights is fine. Some things to see: shopping/dining on Las Olas, Sawgrass Mills outlet mall(about 15 miles from Fort Lauderdale), Bonnett House, Museum of Art, walk along Riverwalk, water taxi, Jungle Queen, Discovery Center/Imax (families), Everglades Tour (a day trip outside of Fort Lauderdale). Boomers(for families, in Dania Beach). If you stay an extra day you could drive down to South Beach in Miami or visit sights there like Vizcaya.

We just went out on the Carrie B boat cruise, which is right at the Riverside Hotel, so I would recommend that. We enjoyed it pretty well.

Or, you could do the dinner cruise deal on the Jungle Queen. That sounded pretty neat, but we didn't have time to do that one.

Cruise mate and I are flying in a day early and looking for a clean room in safe neighborhood that is not too far from port for a taxi or shuttle ride. We are unfamiliar with Fort Lauderdale so any information cruise critics can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.