Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Getting nervous about our first family cruise logistics in November and would appreciate some advice! My daughter and SIL and 1 yr old are driving from Orlando and returning the rental car at Port Everglades. Would it be advisable for him to drop off wife and baby (and luggage) at the cruise terminal (where we will be waiting) and handle the car rental drop off himself? Then he could take the free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Or is it too hectic at the HAL cruise terminal for us to connect - this is our first time here. They're also worried about the baby on a shuttle without a car seat. (it's rented along with the car). Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Are you afraid he will get lost or is incapable of returning the car without you to give him constant instructions? :rolleyes:

If he can manage to drive the family from Orlando I'm sure he could drop the rental off all by himself and make it back to the port.

Getting nervous about our first family cruise logistics in November and would appreciate some advice! My daughter and SIL and 1 yr old are driving from Orlando and returning the rental car at Port Everglades. Would it be advisable for him to drop off wife and baby (and luggage) at the cruise terminal (where we will be waiting) and handle the car rental drop off himself? Then he could take the free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Or is it too hectic at the HAL cruise terminal for us to connect - this is our first time here. They're also worried about the baby on a shuttle without a car seat. (it's rented along with the car). Thanks for any and all suggestions!

A lot of people do drop offs like this. Keep cell phones on to help with reconnecting. You could plan to meet outside the terminal or even on the ship...just make sure that you both have passports and cruise docs/boarding passes.

Would you recommend taking a taxi or the free shuttle from FLL to Embassy Suites and then again from hotel to cruise terminal? We have 5 adults.

Embassy Suites does not have an airport shuttle. I'm going to use JiffyJeff transportation to get us from the airport to the hotel.

http://www.gojiffyjeff.com

Your other option is to book a hotel with an airport shuttle. If you do want to use a taxi all 5 of you may fit in a van taxi. The taxi stand outside baggage claim can get one for you.

Edited by Marie51

Hello,

First time cruiser here, and first time going to Ft. Lauderdale. I've spent the last hour trying to read the posts but didn't see the answer to my question.

We're booked for Allure of the Seas on November 10 and are looking to come in to Ft. Lauderdale 1 - 2 days before. We are looking for a hotel (price range $130 or under) that is in between the port/airport and Sawgrass Mills.

We are also debating on whether we should rent a car to get to Sawgrass Mills, or if taking a cab is worth it. We're looking for the most cost efficient method for us.

I appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks so much!

Hello,

First time cruiser here, and first time going to Ft. Lauderdale. I've spent the last hour trying to read the posts but didn't see the answer to my question.

We're booked for Allure of the Seas on November 10 and are looking to come in to Ft. Lauderdale 1 - 2 days before. We are looking for a hotel (price range $130 or under) that is in between the port/airport and Sawgrass Mills.

We are also debating on whether we should rent a car to get to Sawgrass Mills, or if taking a cab is worth it. We're looking for the most cost efficient method for us.

SEARCH can sometimes be your friend;). I put Sawgrass Mills into the search function at the top of the page and a lot of replies popped up.

Perhaps some of them will answer your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=43927122

...hope so

Hello,

Determine your hotel first (check out those in Plantation) and whether they provide shuttles from the airport and to the port. A rental car would give you more flexibility and potentially save you money, especially if the hotel doesn't have shuttles. For example, Sawgrass Mills is about 15 miles west of the airport or Port Everglades -- that could be close to a $50 cab ride one way.

• 3 weeks later...

The QE is going to be in Port Everglades on January 21. I plan on stocking up on essentials so I don't have to fly with them. I am looking for a place where I can get all the toiletries that I need (some place like a WalMart or large drug store) and a place nearby where I can get low-cost or free wifi (like a McDonalds or Panera). It would be great if I could find some place where I can do both and only take one taxi there and one back. Is there some place like that near Port Everglades?

The QE is going to be in Port Everglades on January 21. I plan on stocking up on essentials so I don't have to fly with them. I am looking for a place where I can get all the toiletries that I need (some place like a WalMart or large drug store) and a place nearby where I can get low-cost or free wifi (like a McDonalds or Panera). It would be great if I could find some place where I can do both and only take one taxi there and one back. Is there some place like that near Port Everglades?

There is a Walgreens just outside Port Everglades on SE 17th St. a couple of blocks west there are a Starbucks and Panera.

We (party of 2) will be flying into MIA late afternoon on October 26. Leaving from PE on the Allure the next morning. What is the most economical way to get from the airport to a hotel for the night and then to PE in the morning? Would consider shuttle, taxi or even renting a car for the afternoon to drop in Ft. L. later that evening. Of course, will need transportation to PE in the morning (hotel shuttle or taxi?).

On the return the following Sunday week, we have a lunch time flight out of MIA. Again, looking for an economical but dependable way to get from the port in FL to the airport in Miami on time.

I would appreciate any recommendations/prices for transportation method and hotel?

We (party of 2) will be flying into MIA late afternoon on October 26. Leaving from PE on the Allure the next morning. What is the most economical way to get from the airport to a hotel for the night and then to PE in the morning? Would consider shuttle, taxi or even renting a car for the afternoon to drop in Ft. L. later that evening. Of course, will need transportation to PE in the morning (hotel shuttle or taxi?).

On the return the following Sunday week, we have a lunch time flight out of MIA. Again, looking for an economical but dependable way to get from the port in FL to the airport in Miami on time.

I would appreciate any recommendations/prices for transportation method and hotel?

Quality Limo Service and Larry's Limos have MIA contracts. Sometimes it is cheaper to rent a car at MIA.... There are lots of drop off locations near PE that will shuttle you to the port for free....I can't keep track of them but do a search here...Budget PE location is one. A taxi from MIA to PE costs about $80 each way, so you can use that as a reference if you call for a quote. Some popular port area hotels are Hyatt Place Convention Center, Renaissance, and Embassy Suites. Some OK budget hotels are LaQuinta Hollywood, Days Inn Hollywood, and Sleep Inn Dania.

http://www.gomjstrans.com/ we do the reverse in Nov, there are a few on our Roll Call using this service.

Looking at Doubletree by Hilton Gallery One on Sunset drive. I figure it will cost us a extra $72 to take the cruise package (which takes you from hotel to port Everglades). Looking at staying two nights. Is this a good location or should we move closer to the Port? Also want to do a airboat tour in the Everglades. Taking Amtrak in and out. Plan to stay at a hotel the day we come back from the cruise. Any other recommendations would be helpful also.

Looking at Doubletree by Hilton Gallery One on Sunset drive. I figure it will cost us a extra $72 to take the cruise package (which takes you from hotel to port Everglades). Looking at staying two nights. Is this a good location or should we move closer to the Port? Also want to do a airboat tour in the Everglades. Taking Amtrak in and out. Plan to stay at a hotel the day we come back from the cruise. Any other recommendations would be helpful also.

This is a good location, but you don't need to pay $72 for a ride to the port...it's less than $25 by taxi! The everglades isn't close to the port or beach so you might want a rental car to go there.

Hi, we are coming into FLL and staying at The Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood beach. We were wondering if Quarterdecks on Dania Beach was a nice restaurant just for some drinks and decent seafood? All suggestions would be helpful also. We will also have a rental car for the day. Thank you.

Hi, we are coming into FLL and staying at The Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood beach. We were wondering if Quarterdecks on Dania Beach was a nice restaurant just for some drinks and decent seafood? All suggestions would be helpful also. We will also have a rental car for the day. Thank you.

I've been to a few other Quarterdecks but not this one, and I also ate at the last restaurant in the Dania pier location (it closed and Quarterdeck moved in). I definitely wouldn't call Quarterdecks a "nice restaurant", but the location is really nice. It's a good place for a burger and drinks, not sure about the seafood but it's probably fine...just don't expect gourmet. I've also been to the sports bar at the hotel and would not recommend it as the service was really disorganized. I've heard that the other restaurants in the hotel are excellent. Lobster Bar recently opened in Fort Lauderdale and is very popular, the latest greatest thing.

Edited by royalcruz

We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on Jan. 1 for a cruise departing on Jan. 2 staying in the Best Western Oceanside. Will the Sun Trolley, Water Taxi, or public buses run that day? What about restaurants in the area of the hotel? Will they be open?

Thanks for all your help.

Linda

We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on Jan. 1 for a cruise departing on Jan. 2 staying in the Best Western Oceanside. Will the Sun Trolley, Water Taxi, or public buses run that day? What about restaurants in the area of the hotel? Will they be open?

Thanks for all your help.

Linda

The SunTrolley will not be operating. The Water Taxi will operate from 10AM to midnight. Broward County Transit bus 40 usually runs by the sunday schedule on new year's day: http://www.broward.org/BCT/MAPSANDSCHEDULES/ROUTES/Pages/40.aspx

I think some restaurants will be open because it is a touristy area. These are some restaurants that are walking distance to the hotel that you can check with for schedules: Bahia Cabana, 3030, Sea Level, Coconuts, Oasis

Quarterdeck is a Sports Bar with an expanded menu...

http://www.quarterdeckrestaurants.com/menu/food-menu

Crown Plaza or Embassy Suites...one worth forty dollars more than the other?:confused:

The Embassy Suites on 17th Ave offers two room suites, free breakfast (with lots of hot food), and free daily evening manager's reception. It's located next to a shopping center with a grocery, wine store, restaurants and other shops.

The Crown Plaza has a free airport shuttle, on site restaurant and convenience store. This hotel is not very close to any restaurants or shops. There is a pizza place just a few blocks away and the shopping center I mentioned above is a few more blocks (maybe a mile total).

My family stayed in the Crown Plaza this past June for 1 night pre-cruise and we really liked the hotel (the Embassy Suites was full). The rooms were large and clean, the staff was friendly and the hotel was very quiet. We didn't mind the walk to the shopping center and did it with 4 kids (ages 8-16). My husband and I are planning to stay there again in December.

The Embassy Suites on 17th Ave offers two room suites, free breakfast (with lots of hot food), and free daily evening manager's reception. It's located next to a shopping center with a grocery, wine store, restaurants and other shops.

The Crown Plaza has a free airport shuttle, on site restaurant and convenience store. This hotel is not very close to any restaurants or shops. There is a pizza place just a few blocks away and the shopping center I mentioned above is a few more blocks (maybe a mile total).

My family stayed in the Crown Plaza this past June for 1 night pre-cruise and we really liked the hotel (the Embassy Suites was full). The rooms were large and clean, the staff was friendly and the hotel was very quiet. We didn't mind the walk to the shopping center and did it with 4 kids (ages 8-16). My husband and I are planning to stay there again in December.

Wow, good stuff to know! Does anyone have that kind of info on Marriott's Fairfield Inn & Suites?

Wow, good stuff to know! Does anyone have that kind of info on Marriott's Fairfield Inn & Suites?

Fairfield has complimentary breakfast and airport shuttle, shuttle to the port for $8pp. ?There isn't much around but it is walkable to Rustic Inn and Islamorada Fish Co.