Deciding on a Cruise

Matti

A short window of time opened up for me and my family to take a cruise this November. So far I've limited my search down to a few different options. I've got two strong ones and two weaker backup choices, but all of them have different pros/cons. I'm hoping that all the experienced travelers here can offer some insight on which you think would be the best :)

Option #1

Carnival Destiny from Miami to Key West to Cozumel to Miami (4 night)

Some great things about this cruise are that it has the most interesting itinerary, it is by far the cheapest of my options for the length (which means that a Suite is a possibility!), and it's in the Eastern time zone.

I've heard some not-so-good things about Carnival from a friend of mine. Neither of us have ever been on Carnival before, though, so I'm hoping that some of you guys can settle my fears a bit about the ship. Looking through the reviews after its refurbishment, I don't see anyone who didn't like their trip.

Option #2

Radiance of the Seas roundtrip from San Diego with a stop at Cabo San Lucas (4 night)

This one is near the top of my list for two main reasons. First, the itinerary is the only other one besides the above which my family hasn't done before. Additionally, great things are all that anybody has had to say about the Radiance.

This cruise would be all the way across the United States from me, which is bad for both plane fare and jetlag, especially considering that my whole family has school/work the next day. The price on this one is also at the higher end, which would limit me to a balcony for about the same price as the suite on the Destiny.

Option #3

Carnival Sensation roundtrip from Port Canaveral with a stop at Nassau (3 night)

The biggest plus about this trip is that it is only three nights, which is the exact right length that I wanted (avoiding work/school conflicts). Also, the price is low enough to allow us to book a suite, which will be welcome since there are four of us traveling.

My family has already all been to Nassau on a cruise, and aside from go to Atlantis and the market, both of which all but one of us managed to do last time we were there, there doesn't seem to be much to do. While this is the only bad thing about the cruise, it's a pretty major one.

Option #4

Norwegian Pearl roundtrip from Miami stopping at Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's private island (2 night)

We did Great Stirrup Cay on our last trip with NCL; there's not a whole lot to do there on a second trip. The trip is also shorter than I would like - it would feel like we're getting off the ship as soon as we got on. The benefits to this are that we are NCL prior cruisers so we get the standard Latitudes benefits and the price is cheap enough to go for a Courtyard Villa, which looks like the best of my room choices for all of my options.

My final choice would be to go to Disney World for the time, which would be about the same price. We've been there countless times, though, and my son is pretty sure that his school band is headed there to perform sometime next year.

I don't want this to be a vote or anything, so while I provided the options, I'd really like your insight and thoughts, especially from anyone who's done any of these itineraries or anything similar before.

I do have a few questions for anyone who stuck around reading my essay of a post :p

• Is the Carnival Destiny as bad in comparison to Radiance or Pearl as my friend says? Judging from some reviews, it actually looks very nice, but it would be great to hear from somebody who has actually been on it.
  • Are there any sort of benefits that come with being a suite passenger on Carnival? I'm sure with four of us, having the extra room is enough of a benefit, but every little thing counts.
  • If any of you have done two or three night cruises before, did it feel like as soon as you got on the ship you got right back off?
  • Anything else you'd like to add to help me come to a decision? Any sort of input would be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone :D

In short- you won't know until you try it. I wouldn't put much weight on the friends words considering she hasn't even been on the ship.

A suite will get you VIP (priority) boarding.

We did a 3 day on RCL, it was short. The 4 day cruises don't seem as short.

i'll just say... this is too much stuff... too many ships i haven't been on, etc. to comment definitively...

but for your consideration of destiny, i'll refer you to my review, linked in my signature, if ya wanna know more about the ship (not your itinerary), though i can help out with other info re: itinerary, such as capers, etc. if you're interested:

http://capers.stateroom.info/main.php?g2_itemId=3097

best of luck ;)

Sensation has the new balconys added. Instead of putting 4 in a suite, Id get 3 balconys next door to each other. The cat 11 suites and the Cat 8 suites, not enough difference that its worth paying for a cat 11. Unless you are going up to a cat 12, Id get two cat 8s, on Sensation. Sensation also has the new waterworks, which you'all may like.

On option #1 you say you've read the reviews and they are good. Then your friend, who has never been on Carnival says it's bad. I would take the word of people who have been on the ship over someone who hasn't.

I have only sailed on NCL once and would probably not sail them again. Nor would I fly across the country for a 4 day cruise. I would go for the 4 day over the 3 day.

The NCL was not our favorite cruise but we still had a good time. If you go with the right attitude you will have a good time.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. Falkcor: I read your review and everything, the ship sounds great! :D

Sensation has the new balconys added. Instead of putting 4 in a suite, Id get 3 balconys next door to each other. The cat 11 suites and the Cat 8 suites, not enough difference that its worth paying for a cat 11. Unless you are going up to a cat 12, Id get two cat 8s, on Sensation. Sensation also has the new waterworks, which you'all may like.

Pricing that out it seems like getting connecting balconies would be a bit out of my price range :( As far as the suites, the only ones available are the 12 and SS ones and the price difference is minimal enough that the SS definitely looks worth it.

On option #1 you say you've read the reviews and they are good. Then your friend, who has never been on Carnival says it's bad. I would take the word of people who have been on the ship over someone who hasn't.

I have only sailed on NCL once and would probably not sail them again. Nor would I fly across the country for a 4 day cruise. I would go for the 4 day over the 3 day.

The NCL was not our favorite cruise but we still had a good time. If you go with the right attitude you will have a good time.

Thanks. The only thing I'm seeing consistently bad in the reviews is the lines for things like the buffet. I'm assuming that since this is a shorter cruise and in the middle of November it might be less crowded than these reviews (which were all in summer 2009)?

I definitely see where you're coming from with flying across the country for the four night cruise. For NCL, my family all loved it last time we went, but this one would be to the same place, so we're trying to avoid that.

Seriously??? A SS suite is cheaper than 2 cat 8 balconys on Sensation... are you sure?? Iv seen some aweseom balcony prices, for cat 8s on Sensation. I have trouble believing that a high category suite for 4 people is cheaper... which date are you looking at?? Id like to see too. That would be unsual, but I guess its possible, if the 3rd and 4th person rates are highly discounted.

Seriously??? A SS suite is cheaper than 2 cat 8 balconys on Sensation... are you sure?? Iv seen some aweseom balcony prices, for cat 8s on Sensation. I have trouble believing that a high category suite for 4 people is cheaper... which date are you looking at?? Id like to see too. That would be unsual, but I guess its possible, if the 3rd and 4th person rates are highly discounted.

Oops, yeah, I was reading things wrong. Lemme take another look.

EDIT #2: All right, I checked once again. The lowest category where they've got two balconies next to eachother is 8D, so I'd still end up paying about $80 more in total than for the SS.

This is all for the November 12, 2009 sailing.

EDIT #3: Looking at doing the same on the Destiny, it would save me about $400 over a Cat 11 Suite and would cost about $400 more than just getting one balcony stateroom.

I don't know if I could do a three day cruise. Spend too much of the % of time on unfun things like getting on, getting familar, muster and getting off. I've done one 4 day and think that was too short. I understand it is a time issue for you but if I could swing any of the 4 days that would be my choice.

I was also concerned after negative reviews I've read regarding Destiny and the long buffet lines, but I've decided to book her for November 2 anyway. I have found more positive reviews, especially recently on the the ship than negative ones. Also, I'm hoping the lines won't be an issue in November and I've also heard they arent' that bad. If the wait is longer than I like, there's always the MDR.

I sailed Sensation before she was refurbished and really enjoyed the ship. I'd love to sail her again!

2 and 3 days are too short for me. I did one 4 day and that was just about right. No way I'd fly to the west coast for a short trip.

I have never really had a problem with long lines. Maybe I've just sailed at the right time, or we go to the buffet at off times. You can always go to the dining room, breakfast is the same and someone serves it to you. I also like doing lunch in the dining room.

Thanks for the thoughts about the cruise length. I definitely think that the Norwegian Pearl cruise is just about out of the question for that, though the other three are all suitable.

For anybody who has cruised at a similar time before, do you think I'll still run into the problems with the lines and crowds that's been reported on the reviews, or no since it seems to be an off-time?

Also, do you think the poolside television which shows movies at night will probably be showing college football during the day on Saturday? Or will our family have to retreat to our cabin to get our football fix? :p

Just remember to take reviews with a grain of salt. The poster of the review may have decided to eat lunch at the prime lunch time every day, we always try to wait until the masses get their food and then eat or if we are hungry be the first in line.. Also you do not know the reviewers tolerance for lines. While a 10 minute wait might be a lifetime to some I consider I am on a cruise with 2000 other people and figure it is not so bad. We do not sail during the summer or other peak times so it might be alot worse than off peak times. I also would not trust advice from some one who has just heard about Carnival's reputation.

I would not fly across the country for a 4 day cruise, the cost, time and jet lag are not worth it. I have done 2 day cruises and I would not do that with a family. It is toooooo short and not worth the airfare to Fl. I feel the same about the 3 days. We live in Fl and pretty much limit ourselves to 4 days . We went on a 3 day last year for Halloween but it was with a group from work and they couldn't go any longer.

The Destiny was the first ship we took our family on so she holds a special spot in our hearts and we are booked again on her next month. We are really looking forward to being on her again and the price is amazing. If you haven't been on Carnival and the price is good this might be a good time to give them a try. If you don't like it you will still have gotten a vacation without being out alot of money but my bet is you would have a great time and fall in love with Carnival like some of us. Good Luck and have a great cruise whichever you choose. Cindy

For anybody who has cruised at a similar time before, do you think I'll still run into the problems with the lines and crowds that's been reported on the reviews, or no since it seems to be an off-time?

Also, do you think the poolside television which shows movies at night will probably be showing college football during the day on Saturday? Or will our family have to retreat to our cabin to get our football fix? :p

Only triumph will have a big screen tv at the pool, sensation and those smaller ships have waterworks. You get one or the other.

The tv screens are so new to Carnival, I think they are changing what they show on them. They were showing scenery, now they show the bands during the day, so thats a change, its evolving.

As far as lines, Iv never been bothered. There will always be a line to get on the ship, but other things I avoid them. If there is a tender port, I wait 30 minutes before gettting off, and letting those who cant wait get off first etc. I guess I eat early enough no lines to speak of... just hasnt been a issue for me.

Thanks for the thoughts about the cruise length. I definitely think that the Norwegian Pearl cruise is just about out of the question for that, though the other three are all suitable.

We watched the Sugar Bowl on the big screen when we sailed the Liberty a few years ago... It was pretty cool.

I know it's a few more days and I'm not sure if it would be more than you want to spend, but have you looked at the 6 day Western Caribbean on the Freedom in November out of Fort Lauderdale? We are doing this one because of the great deal we are getting... Just a thought... ;)

Only triumph will have a big screen tv at the pool, sensation and those smaller ships have waterworks. You get one or the other.

The tv screens are so new to Carnival, I think they are changing what they show on them. They were showing scenery, now they show the bands during the day, so thats a change, its evolving.

As far as lines, Iv never been bothered. There will always be a line to get on the ship, but other things I avoid them. If there is a tender port, I wait 30 minutes before gettting off, and letting those who cant wait get off first etc. I guess I eat early enough no lines to speak of... just hasnt been a issue for me.

According to Carnival's website, Destiny has a Jumbo screen... ;)

We watched the Sugar Bowl on the big screen when we sailed the Liberty a few years ago... It was pretty cool.

I know it's a few more days and I'm not sure if it would be more than you want to spend, but have you looked at the 6 day Western Caribbean on the Freedom in November out of Fort Lauderdale? We are doing this one because of the great deal we are getting... Just a thought... ;)

I took a look at that one, but it just wouldn't work out, as much as we'd love to join you :p.

I took a look at that one, but it just wouldn't work out, as much as we'd love to join you :p.

I understand. I feel like so many things go into consideration when we are looking at a cruise, (DH & my schedule as well as everyone elses', time off from work, drive, cost, ports, ship, boarding for my dog, and so on)... It's so nice when you finally decide on one and book it... :eek:

I'm sure you will have a great time whichever cruise you choose (hehe, that rhymed.. LOL)...

Have fun planning!!! :p

Pick a four day cruise. We have done several three days as we live in FL and can get to the ports in a matter of minutes (Tampa) or hours. Believe me, the four day is more restful and you actually have some time to enjoy the ship.

Archived