Oceania Excursion Zip Lining Costa Rica

TERRIER1

Has anyone taken Oceania's excursion "Zip Lining at Parque Aventura Costa Rica"? Oceania rated this excursion as "two walkers" and everything I read on line says the zip lining at Parque Aventura is very strenuous.Thanks.

The one, two or three walkers are often not correct according to our experience. We have been on ones with only one where there was a lot of walking (which we love) and on one with three where we hardly got off the bus. Much depends on the individual tour company, which sometimes varies year to year, and the guide.:confused:

We did this tour through an independent tour company in 2009 while on Regatta. The actual walking through the rain forest & over the suspended bridges is not overly difficult. It is necessary to climb some ladders with the harness gear around your waist to reach the tree platforms where each zip line starts. Remember that it will probably be quite hot & humid.

If you are afraid of heights or have any serious health issues I would say pass on this however if you are in reasonable good physical shape go for it, you will have a great experience. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Did you go in January which is supposedly the "dry" season? Also, the independent operator I found states that they would drive you to the first platform so i am wondering if that precludes the ladder climbing. You can also ride horses there. Who did you use? Thanks again.

Yes we went in January. Let me clarify the ladders, that was a poor choice of words. I think there are 7 different zip lines. At the beginning & ending of each Zip line there is a platform built up in the tree. If my memory serves me right in most cases it is actually rickety metal stairs used to get to the platform. On a couple of lower ones I think it is metal ladders. This is not great cause for concern but you do need to be able to climb. Didn't see anyone on horses but that is possible. Everyone we saw walked to the first zip line, not a great problem if you are in reasonably good health, didn't see anyone driven there & that was not offered to us.

The company we used was okeydokeytours@hotmail.com This is a small outfit owned by Charlie Soto, a guy who lived in San Diego for a number of years. Charlie met us dockside, he had 4 others from the ship booked. He went along as the guide, his driver spoke no English. We stopped for lunch at a beach side restaurant, not touristy at all, was included in the price. Also did some birdwatching, toucans & macaws in 2 different locations. Charlie tries hard & will do the tour to meet everyones desires. I found this company from other recommendations on Cruise Critic.

Charlie Soto can give you a lot of information of everything possible to do in that area, he replies quickly.

We took a private company in October of 2003. I tried the site but it is no longer availabale.

Depending on where you start you have to zip DOWNHILL Then walk back up to the beginning. That is strenuos. But it was fun and exhilerating for us young 60's.

We took a private company in October of 2003. I tried the site but it is no longer availabale.

Depending on where you start you have to zip DOWNHILL Then walk back up to the beginning. That is strenuous. But it was fun and exhilarating for us young 60's.

This is not how it works at this particular venue. There are 7 zip lines, all go downhill from each other, there is no walking back uphill. The only walking of any consequence is from the check in area through the rain forest to the first line, this is a little uphill at times but no biggie, I am also 60's. The whole experience is exhilarating for sure.

My wife (also 60's) who is relatively good condition (plays golf 3 times a week) did the zip line in Honduras. She said it was GREAT ... wanted to do it again sometime ... recommended zip lining to our friends ... looking forward to doing it in December ... and ... BTW ... was sore and stiff where she could hardly walk for the next 3 days. :eek: But is looking forward to doing it all over again. :rolleyes:

Archived