Help!!! 7 day Society Island cruise on hold for May 5th

2animallvrs

Hi everyone! My husband & I have cruised before, but this is our first cruise to FP & first on PG and we have LOTS of questions. We normally book cruises/vacations months in advance & go in feeling pretty informed & comfortable, but this one is a spur of the moment thing for my husband's 60th birthday & our 39th anniversary. First of all, we are dealing directly with a PG agent -- not a good idea? Secondly, our tentative cabin is 616 D (balcony -- which we like), any opinions on that particular cabin/location. There were only 6 balcony cabins left, & the agent felt this one was the best choice. Thirdly, excursions -- we love to snorkel & plan to focus most excursions around that. Any of you have private excursions booked that need more people? Any excursions we shouldn't miss? We're looking at a 3 day precruise in Moorea. The rates for OWB at IC are very good with PG, but the reviews arent great. Moorea Hilton only has the garden rooms, but has better reviews, & sounds like a better location??? What about the Sofitel??? Would you recommend precruise or postcruise extended stays & why? Because we're (tentatively) flying in a few days early (10:00 pm), the Papeete IC is not included the night of arrival so we would pay for that. Would it be better to take advantage of PG's offer of the Papeete IC the night of arrival & do a post cruise stay in Moorea? So much to sift through & we need to confirm hotel & cruise by tomorrow!!!! Lastly, what is the average age of the passengers on the PG? We are both 60 (very active) -- will there be others our age, or is this mainly a honeymoon cruise? Thank you all so much for your help, and any additional helpful information from you veterans would be very appreciated!!!

You will love this cruise. Your cabin sounds fine to me. Pax range in age more than the usual cruise. You will find many family groups - sis/sis, family plus grans, various combinations. I think because the water sports are the big draw, there is truly a variety of ages represented. There are always a few honeymooners - not many - but they usually keep to themselves! Everyone is very friendly.

Do a forum search for "private excursions" and look at the posts that discuss the various private tours. Patrick's in Bora Bora, and L'Excursion Blu (sp) are mentioned, plus Christophe, and Damien is also in Bora Bora. I had good luck with Patrick and Damien. The websites you listed in many of the various posts on this topic.

I think the ship tours are great too, and I don't think you save a whole heck of a lot going private. Some. And the main thing is that the private tours will have fewer people.

Keep in mind there is no night life on the islands. So when you dock, its the piano bar for dancing (La Palette), and perhaps a show - the Les Gauguines Tahitiian hostesses are wonderful, and entertain throughout the cruise. Plus the ship dance band is pretty wonderful too, and there are events out on the deck. Most people are pretty tired from the sun and water to do much carousing at night (I speak for myself I guess.)

If it were me, I would do a pre-cruise at the Hilton Moorea, to get you into the "island time" relaxed way of living. Its a lovely hotel, and personally I think the garden bungalows would be fine - its the lagoon at the beach that is heavenly for snorkling - right there under your nose.

Be sure and take plenty of sunscreen, water shoes (you will need for the coral at the beaches and in the water), and motion sickness meds. Take advantage of all the snorkeling trips you can - both Moorea and Bora Bora should have great snorkeling spots. Don't pack too much. Believe me, with the heat and humidity (but with trade winds!), you will want to wear as little as possible. Hubby does not need a sportcoat, just slacks and a few long sleeved shirts for dinner.

If you have any other specific questions, ask away.

I would say try to book with an agent as you could get an OBC.

Since you dont have much time before you leave if you give me your email I shall send you my PG tips - which people seem to like and were really developed for a newbie friend!

Thank you South Seas Sue & Emdee! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, & we've never been on a cruise where a sports coat or suit weren't required, so that was really good to know (& will make my husband very happy). I noticed our (tentative) cabin is right above something called the Grand Salon - is that a hair salon? If you happen to think of anything else, please send it along! Emdee, I would love to have your list of tips. In fact, I noticed you offered it on another thread, & I was going to ask you for it:) Our email address is: jblucca@cox.net I'll call a TA we've used before in the morning to see what she comes up with. Thank you both again for answering my distress call;)

Thanks for letting me know what the Grand Salon is Chuck. So, our (tentative) cabin is just above the show room/theatre? Hmmm -- not sure I like the sounds of that. Do you know what time the theatre closes? If anyone has stayed in a cabin in this location, would you let me know if noise was a problem. Thanks once again for your help! ;)

I second the advice to go through a TA. A good TA will give you something back for giving them the business - an OBC, or even a check after you've made final payment.

I wouldn't worry too much about the reviews for the IC Papeete. I've stayed there and it is a lovely property. The pools in particular are exquisite, and the views across the channel to Moorea are to die for. We're doing a two-day pre-cruise there again this time (our upcoming cruise is in June). We're then doing a three-day post-cruise at the IC Moorea. Bottom line: you'll be in French Polynesia. It's paradise. :) Do what works best for you. However, I will say that I believe Moorea is a nicer island than Tahiti - Papeete is just kind of a dirty city. If you want a little city action, stay in Papeete. If you want beauty, quiet and romance, stay on Moorea.

Unlike any other cruise I've been on, the pre- and post-cruise offers through the PG are (for my itinerary, anyway) great deals, better than I could do on my own! And they include the benefit of the transfers, some meals (e.g. the breakfast buffet at the IC Papeete) ferry, etc. Last time we did the PG we booked all of our own pre- and post-cruise stays and handled our own transfers. This time we're doing it all through the PG, and the prices are less, plus we don't have to worry about anything (luggage, transportation, etc).

Can't answer your questions about the cabin, but unless you are super "early-to-bed" types I don't think having the theater below you will be a problem. Things wrap up pretty early on the PG - it is NOT a party ship. As someone else mentioned, most people are tired from all the fun-in-the-sun, and the entertainment in the theater doesn't run late. (Although it you want to stay up late, you can usually find some dancing going on at La Palette lounge.)

Private excursions: Patrick's on Bora Bora gets incredible reviews. http://www.maohinui.net/en/

If you're interested in a waverunner tour, the ship offers them but we're doing one through a private company that is significantly less money - $215 per couple, vs. $299 from the PG. http://www.moanajetboat.com/html/adventures.htm Their website doesn't mention the waverunners, but if you email them they'll give you their price. Can't tell you how good they are since we haven't done them yet.

On Taha'a the PG does their famous Motu Mahana which is an all-day beach bbq...there's really no need for an excursion on that day. There's snorkeling right there at the beach, and kayaks for use.

On Moorea many people enjoy renting a car and driving themselves around (that's what we're doing). You can rent a car for about $100 for the day from Avis. There's also a ship excursion that gets very high marks - Trail of the Ancients.

Ages of passengers - on our cruise (which was a 10-dayer) most passengers were around your age, with a couple of multi-generational families and a smattering of honeymooners. You might find a few more honeymooners on a 7-day itinerary, although I still think the majority are going to be 50+ active types.

Hope this helps! Do come back and let us know what you decided.

I would say try to book with an agent as you could get an OBC.

Since you dont have much time before you leave if you give me your email I shall send you my PG tips - which people seem to like and were really developed for a newbie friend!

Emdee-

Would you mind posting your tips here? I'm sure many could benefit!

I would not worry about the entertainment being below it is when it is above you that it really matters. Had this happen on one of my first cruises learned by mistakes. Some people hang around clean up crew moving things that sort of thing or practice for shows. This is a slimmed down type of entertainment.

Emdee, I'm sailing on the May 5th Society Island trip and would love your "tips" as it sounds like everyone else would. If you wouldn't mind, can you email them to me at kathyhoffman@roadrunner.com - Thank you so much!

I am late booking our excursions and wouldn't mind sharing some small group trips with anyone who might be interested.

Archived