Best Lobster Mid-Day in Portland?

GeoSci64

Get a cab or rent a car and go to the Two Lights Lobster Shack in suburban Cape Elizabeth. There you can enjoy your lobster on a picnic table right at the ocean's edge or eat indoors. They serve on paper plates, which is the traditional way. After dinner you can walk along the rocks and go tidepooling at low tide. There is a state park right next door. On the ride back you can stop at Portland Headlight on Shore Rd. Think I'll go next week. Have a good time visiting our wonderful city.

There is no really good lobster pound right in the Portland area, sorry to say. In my opinion, the best one close to Portland is Day's, on Route 1, a little south of Freeport. (If you go up Route I-95, exit for Route 1 north at the exit that has the tourist information pavilion, Day's is about 1/2 mile past it.) May take 20 minutes from downtown Portland.

I'm sorry that I do not agree with the suggestion of Two Lights Lobster Shack. Go there for a spectacular view of the ocean. Unfortunately, on my most recent visits, the lobster has not been great and the portions have been small. You're paying for location.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant remember the Bar/restaurant we went to but it was great.

It was in walking distance(1/4 mile) from the pier. It was a reccomendation from a cabbie. He said the locals go there.

The eating area was in the back parking lot along the water. We ordered the special which was Corn on the cob, lobster tail, and clams served in a bucket. We drank shipwreck beer. And had a great time. Does anyone know the name of this place? A freind of mine will be on the Enchantment and is curious about this place.

Thanks Harry

• 3 weeks later...

The day you are in Portland, consider taking an excursion to Kennebunkport. There is a great little stand called the Lobster Shack! The lobster rolls there are to die for! They are so good and give you tons of lobster meat. Chunks of lobster meat rather than shredded lobster meat. It was the best thing I ate the whole cruise! And Kennebunkport itself is a rather charming little community!

The day you are in Portland, consider taking an excursion to Kennebunkport. There is a great little stand called the Lobster Shack! The lobster rolls there are to die for! They are so good and give you tons of lobster meat. Chunks of lobster meat rather than shredded lobster meat. It was the best thing I ate the whole cruise! And Kennebunkport itself is a rather charming little community!

Kennebunkport is lovely! And that lobster roll is regarded as one of the best in Maine by Gourmet magazine! But, I believe it is called the Clam Shack, not the Lobster Shack. Delicious though!

K&L - I think you're right. I had lobster on the brain. Its called the Clam Shack. Its a small little stand right next to the restaurant where George W. Bush buys his blueberry pies when he's in town visiting his parents at Walker's Point.

We had the greatest time while we were in Kennebunkport!

A little of topic but thought I would ask some advice. . .

It is our first time in Portland Maine area and we were wondering if it would be better to book a driver and car to stay in Portland or go to Kennenbunkport?

Not sure if there is much to see in city of Portland and if we need to hire car. . can we do walking ourselves as we are a group of 10?

Or is there more to see and do in Kennenbunkport. . .how is the drive there?

We are in port from 11am - 5pm on the Constellation.

We have a car booked in Boston to take us around for 4 hours then drop of us off near Filene's for some shopping.

Thanks for the tips on lobster rolls . . .we are looking forward to trying some!

Rita

A little of topic but thought I would ask some advice. . .

It is our first time in Portland Maine area and we were wondering if it would be better to book a driver and car to stay in Portland or go to Kennenbunkport?

Not sure if there is much to see in city of Portland and if we need to hire car. . can we do walking ourselves as we are a group of 10?

Or is there more to see and do in Kennenbunkport. . .how is the drive there?

We are in port from 11am - 5pm on the Constellation.

We have a car booked in Boston to take us around for 4 hours then drop of us off near Filene's for some shopping.

Thanks for the tips on lobster rolls . . .we are looking forward to trying some!

Rita

Kennebunkport is a good 40 minutes from Portland (at least). I would say that you don't need to book a car for Portland, however. The Old Port is where you will want to stay and it is cobblestone treats, etc.

I also would not have a car booked for Boston. Boston is a walking city and a real pain to sit in traffic in.

kenandlaura06 - thanks for your advice on Portland.

We will wander the old port area ourselves and enjoy.

Hopefully come across a lobster roll and clam chowder along the way!

As we have 10 people I thought hiring a car and driver to take us around to see Harvard and the sites around Boston would be easier than trying to keep us altogether on a trolley tour. . may not have 10 seats on the trolley as we hop on and off. We have a range of ages from 40 - 72. Do you think it is better not to use the mini van? The cost per person for 4 hours private touring is about $30 per person. Timewise I thought we could cover more distance and see more in a private van.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Have to put in my two cents worth. Kenandlaura are right about Portland. In fact for $5.00 you can get an all day bus pass to take you around town if you wish. To the right of the terminal is a walking path with wonderful views of Casco Bay and the calendar islands. There are roughly 350+ islands in the bay. To the left is the Old Port District which is where the quaint shops and finer restaurants are located. This area was rundown until the 70's when it was developed into what you see today. The bridge you see crossing the harbor is a drawbridge with one of the longest draw spans in the world. I curse it every time it is up when I have to cross it.

For Boston, it is faster taking the T (subway) than driving as the city is a mess to drive in. When I visit, I usually park in one of the outlying stations and take the subway in town. The Red Line takes you to Harvard Square.

kenandlaura06 - thanks for your advice on Portland.

We will wander the old port area ourselves and enjoy.

Hopefully come across a lobster roll and clam chowder along the way!

As we have 10 people I thought hiring a car and driver to take us around to see Harvard and the sites around Boston would be easier than trying to keep us altogether on a trolley tour. . may not have 10 seats on the trolley as we hop on and off. We have a range of ages from 40 - 72. Do you think it is better not to use the mini van? The cost per person for 4 hours private touring is about $30 per person. Timewise I thought we could cover more distance and see more in a private van.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think it would be easier to take the T (Subway). Check out the website below for the map. I think you could probably cover more timewise by taking the T and walking, honestly. It is $1.25 to ride the T (no matter how far you go). Other than Harvard, what sites do you want to see? You can take the Red Line from Park Street which is near the the Boston Common/Downtown Crossing/State House to Harvard...and it is less than a 20 minute ride (probably closer to 15 minutes). You will get out right in Harvard Square and be in the action of Harvard and all of the shops.

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/index.asp

Morning Kenandlaura06 & rfische1,

Thanks for all your advice. It makes planning so much easier as we have never been to New England before and with a group of 10 I like to be organized on what to do/see before arriving.

We will spend the day wandering around the Old Port District and try Gilberts by the waterfront for chowder instead of taking the car. Is there anywhere else you would recommend for seafood lunch nearby the pier area?

Another question about Boston. . how far is the "T" from Black Falcon Pier?

As it is our first time there not sure what we should be seeing . . I did buy the Insight guide to Boston with great maps of the city so will go through that over the weekend. Any suggestions on what not to miss?

The ladies would like to spend some time at Filene's basement as we have heard and seen the big sales on the tv news. Are the bargains as good as they say?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Have a great weekend.

Rita

• 1 month later...

Hooked....Just wanted to tell you what a great time we had...went to Gilberts and did the tour of the Lighthouses....but major fog that day...probably knew that from the TV coverage???? Anyway thank you for all your help...we loved your "part of the world" and want to come back...and the QM2 was awesome!!! LuAnn

• 2 months later...
I cant remember the Bar/restaurant we went to but it was great.

It was in walking distance(1/4 mile) from the pier. It was a reccomendation from a cabbie. He said the locals go there.

The eating area was in the back parking lot along the water. We ordered the special which was Corn on the cob, lobster tail, and clams served in a bucket. We drank shipwreck beer. And had a great time. Does anyone know the name of this place? A freind of mine will be on the Enchantment and is curious about this place.

Thanks Harry

this is the place i will be looking for. i only like broiled lobster so i hope i can find that easily instead of the traditional boiled or baked. i am not sure i am going to book any tours. i just want to walk through the ports, shop and eat all the lobster i can. if anyone knows the name of this bar/restaurant please let me know. cant wait to get there.

We went to a little place called Gilbert's (I think), the lobster was really fantastic (the best of our entire trip), and very reasonably prices...not sure if broiled lobster was on the menu or not, however.

whale-watcher, thanks so much for the tip. i will save this for '' things to remember '' folder. here in my area we can pay up too $50 a lb for lobster and im sure it cannot compare in quaility and taste to what they have there. can you give an estamated price for lobster where you went. i have heard it is much cheaper there. i am hungry already for it. :D

Archived