Newbies in Nassau, recommendations?

kellance13879

Hello fellow cruisers! My bf and I will be cruising with RC in March, and we have never been to the Bahamas. We would like to just see the Atlantis (don't really care about waters slides) and go to a nice beach. However we don't really want to pay 200 dollars for the RC excursion. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or any other suggestions on what we should do in Nassau, as all we know of there is the 'famous' Atlantis.

Thanks, happy cruising :)

Hello fellow cruisers! My bf and I will be cruising with RC in March, and we have never been to the Bahamas. We would like to just see the Atlantis (don't really care about waters slides) and go to a nice beach. However we don't really want to pay 200 dollars for the RC excursion. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or any other suggestions on what we should do in Nassau, as all we know of there is the 'famous' Atlantis.

Thanks, happy cruising :)

The Pirate museum is fun for an hour.

You could walk around Atlantis, then bring towels with you and you can use the public beach right outside the hotel. Nice waves, beautiful blue water. If you are up for a few drinks you can go to The Green Parrot on Paradise Island or if you want to be closer to the ship you can go to Senor Frogs.

You could walk around Atlantis, then bring towels with you and you can use the public beach right outside the hotel. Nice waves, beautiful blue water. If you are up for a few drinks you can go to The Green Parrot on Paradise Island or if you want to be closer to the ship you can go to Senor Frogs.

That sounds good! Does the public beach have a name that we could tell a cab to take us to? Do you know if it gets busy really quick?

Where exactly is the public beach next to Atlantis?

Edited by CoconutOne

That sounds good! Does the public beach have a name that we could tell a cab to take us to? Do you know if it gets busy really quick?

You can't walk around Atlantis except the marina. The public beach has no rest room facilities.

You can take a cab there. When we went it was crowded, but nothing too crazy.

Where exactly is the public beach next to Atlantis?

I would Google Maps it, but it's the hotel then there is the beach.

As someone mentioned there are no restrooms at the beach. When we went the women just walked into one of the hotels front doors and used the bathroom in the lobby.

The best part of Atlantis Resort is the beautiful view of it from your cruise ship entering the port, especially at dawn or early morning. Other than that I had no interest.

Are you up for walking and a few drinks and a swim? Here's a plan........

Off the ship head straight south on East St, east on Shirley St to the Queen's Staircase and check that out. Then head back west on Shirley St, take the jog where it turns in to Duke St and then south on Market St to E Hill St and then head west. You'll pass Government House and then the Graycliff Hotel. Both worth a stop. Continue west on W Hill St (Yes it changes from E to W) to West St. Are you into art? The National Art Museum is on the corner. Continue south on West St and then east on Delancy St. Thirsty? Take the tour through the John Watlings Distillery and then enjoy a fine rum drink on their nice patio outside (This was my highlight last time I was there. They said I set the record for sniffing out of the rum barrel on the tour. Ya right) Now head north on Augusta St, good thing it's downhill after that rum drink. Look! Water! Why it's Junkanoo Beach! Time for a dip, and the Tiki Bikini Hut is there if you're still thirsty. Dry off or dry out and head east towards your ship. Follow the curve around the British Colonial Hotel and stop in if you want to see where James Bond stayed. Follow that curve to the left and when you can't go any further you'll end up at Senor Frogs. Monsieur Grenouille's is fun but not my kind of place. I'd head a few blocks east on Woodes Rodgers Walk, skipping the straw market and stopping at Pirate Republic Brewing for some cold ones before stumbling the last few blocks to the pier (hopefully before sailaway time!)

All are visible from this Google earth shot. All depends on your wants and how long you're in port for.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@25.0765818,-77.3440766,686m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Cheers!

We like to go to the Melia on Cable Beach and get the day pass without food.

They have nice pools as well as a nice beach area.

There is also Breezes and Sandals on Cable Beach.

Do you know how much the day pass was? How far from the cruise port?

Junkanoo beach is free... there are vendors with food, drinks, and of course items to sell. Thats where we will be again! plus you can still see the ships. Its so close.. no need for Jitney bus or expensive taxi

Junkanoo beach is not very nice, I've been to the Bahamas a couple of times and I wouldn't spend my day there if that's the first time I ever was there. I would recommend spending the $180 to go to Atlantis. It's beautiful there and it's totally worth the money to me. If you don't want to spend the money then I highly recommend going to Blue lagoon island if you want to spend your day beach day. Cabbage beach next to Atlantis can be very rough, it's a hit or miss. If it's a rough day you will not be allowed in the water. At blue lagoon island the water is very calm. I will attach a few pictures that I took.

Joffner1208 , thanks for posting the pictures. Wow...so beautiful! And shows Nassau doesn't have to be a stop where you stay on the ship (ie.. as a lot comment).

We're doing Blue Lagoon and can't wait. It looks beautiful!

Joffner1208 , thanks for posting the pictures. Wow...so beautiful! And shows Nassau doesn't have to be a stop where you stay on the ship (ie.. as a lot comment).

We're doing Blue Lagoon and can't wait. It looks beautiful!

It's beautiful, I don't understand why it gets such a bad wrap.

LuCruise, I recommend renting the kayaks for an hour at blue lagoon island if you can, it's really awesome. It makes it very easy to paddle since it's in the lagoon and it's very calm.

Beautiful pics of blue lagoon! How do you recommend getting there?? Snorkeling any good there?

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

LuCruise, I recommend renting the kayaks for an hour at blue lagoon island if you can, it's really awesome. It makes it very easy to paddle since it's in the lagoon and it's very calm.

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds lovely. But probably my DS10 will want to go to the aqua park and my younger one will be happy to play in the water with the tube or mat. I've only heard good things about it. Wish we had more time, but we'll still get a couple hours at water if you take away the travel time.