Passports?

USA citizens boarding a cruise which leaves and returns at the same USA port do not require a passport to board. An original birth certificate or certified copy with raised seal plus a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license can be used in place of a passport.

With that said.....Do yourself a favor and get a passport.;)

Happy cruising.:)

Last known information--if you're an American citizen embarking/debarking from the same US port, you can use your BC/DL. You need one if embarkation/debarkation different. As was noted by poster above...do yourself a favor and get Passport ;)

yst347 - She asked whether she need a Passport or not. You answered it. No need to tell her to get a Passport...nuff said?

I'm entitled to my opinion. :cool:

My answer was full, complete and accurate. How is my unsolicited advice any more improper than your off topic commentary on this thread?

USA citizens boarding a cruise which leaves and returns at the same USA port do not require a passport to board. An original birth certificate or certified copy with raised seal plus a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license can be used in place of a passport.

With that said.....Do yourself a favor and get a passport.;)

Happy cruising.:)

And as an addition at this time there is no plan to require these people to have passports. In other words at this time the way the law is being interpreted there is no need for them at all, until or unless the rules are changed which might happen.

When we sailed out of Miami last October my wife almost did'nt get on because she brought her original Birth Certificate. We were told we had to have the State issued Certificate and not the original. After waiting for 45 minutes the girl behind the desk came back with her supervisor and they looked at the certificate then my wife for about 5 more minutes and then allowed us to board.

yes, you do need a photo whether its passport or DL. I don;t think expired passport would help. Also for non-citizen, they do need to see your Greencard and might ask to take a copy when you are on board.. Just fYI.

When we sailed out of Miami last October my wife almost did'nt get on because she brought her original Birth Certificate. We were told we had to have the State issued Certificate and not the original. After waiting for 45 minutes the girl behind the desk came back with her supervisor and they looked at the certificate then my wife for about 5 more minutes and then allowed us to board.

If you checked anywhere, they would have warned you to make sure the birth certificate had a raised seal. You are very very lucky you were able to board, others have not been so lucky that have posted here.

You don't need a passport until June 1, 2009. We are sailing on May 30, 2009 and have to have passports to get back in. We already have them so no problem!:D

As quite a few posters stated above ..... you do not need a passport, not even after June 1, 2009, your information is incorrect :confused: sorry, just dont want folks to be confused with conflicting information, read some of the posts above yours.

As quite a few posters stated above ..... you do not need a passport, not even after June 1, 2009, your information is incorrect :confused: sorry, just dont want folks to be confused with conflicting information, read some of the posts above yours.

I agree: This is the latest from the U.S. Department of State

US issues Final Rule on land, sea entry.

http://www.mshepp.com/passport.htm

Do a 17 month old need photo ID in addition to Birth Certificate? Also, is an expired passport of less than 2 years OK for boarding?

No, anyone under 16 years doesn't need a photo ID, just the BC.

You are correct, passports are not required...But if you have an emergency back at home and need to fly from one of the ports, then I think a passport is needed for that.

That is totally correct which is why I got mine. $100 wasn't that bad for something that last 10 years. Not to mention it gives me another official form of ID if required for something.

You don't need a passport until June 1, 2009. We are sailing on May 30, 2009 and have to have passports to get back in. We already have them so no problem!:D

If you are sailing from the same port, ie round trip you do not need passports in June of 2009 (assuming that you are US citizens).

Please do not spread false information about passports it is confusing enough.

If you checked anywhere, they would have warned you to make sure the birth certificate had a raised seal. You are very very lucky you were able to board, others have not been so lucky that have posted here.

A passport does not have to have a raised seal, it has to be certified. Years ago any certified document had a raised seal, but that has changed. As long as it is certified by the issuing agency (usually the state for a bc) it is fine.

Do a 17 month old need photo ID in addition to Birth Certificate? Also, is an expired passport of less than 2 years OK for boarding?

A child under the age of 16 (years not months) does not need a photo ID.

The expired passport will work as a photo ID, but it will not work as a passport. If it is expired you will need a certified birth certificate, and a DL would be better than an expired passport.

Here is another site. See the Note: right below the first few paragraphs:

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

This part does not apply to cruisers. It applies to people flying from the USVI, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.

This part does not apply to cruisers. It applies to people flying from the USVI, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.

BFD. I put both links on there because the .gov is an official site. Also, if you noted, I put the line on there about not applying to US port to US port. There is however, valuable information on that site.

I for one don't believe everything I read unless it official.

Thanks for being such a critic.

Archived