Serving trays in Lido

sackman

Anybody ever bring their own serving tray? I like to get breakfast at the Lido and bring it to the cabin. It's gotten hard to do that since they stopped giving out serving trays a few years ago. Has anybody brought their own tray with them? If so, any problems using it?

Anybody ever bring their own serving tray? I like to get breakfast at the Lido and bring it to the cabin. It's gotten hard to do that since they stopped giving out serving trays a few years ago. Has anybody brought their own tray with them? If so, any problems using it?

I don't, I've enough to cart around already. I just get up and down like a yo-yo leaving or book or something to show the table is still occupied. (I have been known to leave my precious ciggies there, that makes sure other people avoid):D

Edited by chrispb
sp

I brought a tray a few times but didn't use it. However, had I wanted to, I would not have hesitated. They have some lightweight, easy to pack, inexpensive trays at Dollar Stores. Actually, Whole Foods at their salad bar area has the perfect 'pack and go tray' and the Manager at our local store was so kind to give me a few. :) Perfect size tray and easy to pack. :)

I brought a tray a few times but didn't use it. However, had I wanted to, I would not have hesitated. They have some lightweight, easy to pack, inexpensive trays at Dollar Stores. Actually, Whole Foods at their salad bar area has the perfect 'pack and go tray' and the Manager at our local store was so kind to give me a few. :) Perfect size tray and easy to pack. :)

What a great idea about Whole Foods. I actually bought beautiful trays from an artist in Barbados, but haven't used them yet. Whole Foods sounds like a perfect answer.

She who must be obeyed sends me upstairs with the ice bucket tray to get her coffee & croissants for the balcony. Tray works well for 1st breakfast, breads/cheeses/fruits in the afternoon for wine time.

Oh yes don't forget the butter for the croissants. I learned my mistake once and have the emotional scars to prove it.

What a great idea about Whole Foods. I actually bought beautiful trays from an artist in Barbados, but haven't used them yet. Whole Foods sounds like a perfect answer.

When I saw their trays were perfect for our Lido need, I asked to purchase a few. The Manager was very kind and said he could not sell them to me but could give me a few. :) I was very appreciative.

When I saw their trays were perfect for our Lido need, I asked to purchase a few. The Manager was very kind and said he could not sell them to me but could give me a few. :) I was very appreciative.

You could use those to bring goodies from the Lido to your room, too, if the Neptune doesn't have what you want.

I will have to go to Whole Foods here to see if I can find those. Are they plastic, Sail? I bought the same ones in Barbados that Carol ordered...two large and two small...have no idea what I'll use them for! I bought one several years ago and DH dropped it...broke off the corner. Be careful, Carol.

You could use those to bring goodies from the Lido to your room, too, if the Neptune doesn't have what you want.

I will have to go to Whole Foods here to see if I can find those. Are they plastic, Sail? I bought the same ones in Barbados that Carol ordered...two large and two small...have no idea what I'll use them for! I bought one several years ago and DH dropped it...broke off the corner. Be careful, Carol.

Sheila,

The Whole Foods trays are perfect for Lido. DH uses the ice bucket tray for Neptune. Actually, I think he's the one that first thought to do that and I posted what a great idea he had and the 'word spread'. :)

The Whole Foods trays are plastic, rectangle, light weight and smaller than the trays Lido used to hand out. They are the perfect size for two Lunch plates if you are helping to serve someone as well as yourself. It's perfect size for a lunch plate, cold drink and a small plate with a cookie or pre-cut pie they set out at the ice cream station.

I have brought a tray many times since HAL discontinued making them available. Mine is the same size as they used to have, and fits nicely in my suitcase.

It's not a problem with the staff that I use it. As a matter of fact, it usually is noticed and I get the assistance I need. They do try to remove it when I am seated, but I always let them know it's mine, and they leave it.

I always let them know I wash it when I return to the cabin, so there's no thoughts about spreading noro (or other) germs.

We've managed OK w/o the trays in the Lido...but it certainly is a lot easier with one. On our recent cruise I wanted to bring back some cheese and crackers to our cabin and it was challenging at best to manage two plates and the elevator! I will definitely check out the Whole Foods trays. We often buy lunch there. I just can't remember the trays!

We bring Tervis tumblers (coffee mugs) which my DH uses to fill in the AM. They are large and get me enough until I get dressed and up for the Lido. He is always complimented on these mugs by fellow cruisers. I've just about given up on room service breakfast since there are always situations...if you know what I mean. It's not worth the aggravation. Coffee is all I need to get going.;);)

Great ideas on the trays! I absolutely love the raisin rolls and nice to know I can bring some to the cabin and a few other goodies from the Lido. Never thought of using the ice bucket tray for the Neptune. It's a long walk to the aft wrap from the Neptune and this will make bringing some goodies back to the cabin so much easier. They just opened a new whole foods in Lincoln about 2 months ago. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks everybody!

Diane

We bring Tervis tumblers (coffee mugs) which my DH uses to fill in the AM. They are large and get me enough until I get dressed and up for the Lido. He is always complimented on these mugs by fellow cruisers. I've just about given up on room service breakfast since there are always situations...if you know what I mean. It's not worth the aggravation. Coffee is all I need to get going.;);)

I agree. Room Service for breakfast is not worth the aggravation. They come at the appointed time...but I might not be awake yet...good intentions don't always work. We did it in our earlier years of cruising but not much any more' date=' especially not for breakfast. Maybe cheese and crackers in the afternoon. DH is always up and about, so he makes a coffee run to the Lido with our travel mugs. That's all I need to get going. Then we go to breakfast in the Lido. Rarely the MDR anymore. [/size']

Edited by innlady1

Great ideas on the trays! I absolutely love the raisin rolls and nice to know I can bring some to the cabin and a few other goodies from the Lido. Never thought of using the ice bucket tray for the Neptune. It's a long walk to the aft wrap from the Neptune and this will make bringing some goodies back to the cabin so much easier. They just opened a new whole foods in Lincoln about 2 months ago. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks everybody!

Diane

Here's another 'tip'...... :)

If you want to leave a plate of raisin buns or cookies or whatever for later, cover the plate with a fresh shower cap which HAL provides.

We always do room service for breakfast. Do like to have lunch in the cabin. I have found that I can save the covers from our breakfast tray, I then make a lunch run to the Lido, take the covers to place over two dishes and stack the the covered dishes/w the cover on top, so I really don't need a tray at all. Do this all the time on Princess. We order beverages from Room Service.

I could simply ask Room Service to bring an extra tray. If I wanted a tray... once we were on Celebrity... there was a staff person walking around with an empty tray, my DH took it from him and we used it. The staff was somewhat surprised, we used it the rest of the trip.

Do what works for you.

I could simply ask Room Service to bring an extra tray.

The first problem with taking a room service tray is that it is significantly larger, hence heavier, than the trays that used to be in the Lido. I took one the first time I cruised after HAL had stopped Lido trays.

The other problem was finding a large enough place to store it in the cabin.

I always pack my tray when we cruise - it is just the right size for my case

and since DH is mobility impaired I do the running for meals - so much easier to put it all on the tray and make one trip instead of several.

the staff always comment on the tray and the non-slip finish and I have been told several times that they wish they had their own trays back again.

have seen more trays showing up on our cruises recently.

We always pack 1-gallon Ziploc bags for food storage. They are good for keeping cookies fresh, cheese from lunch chilled, and chicken wing appetizers chilled for a late-night snack.

I take qaurt, 1 gallon and 2 gallon Ziploc bags on every cruise. DUH never thought about putting food in them!!!

Diane