Credit card chip?

There's a thread on another forum about the prevalence of credit card chips in Europe and the need for US residents to get with the program in order to access many services. Apparently you often need a PIN as well.

Are these chip cards common or preferred in Australia and New Zealand or is the older style magnetic strip and sign card still widely accepted? We plan on spending several months traveling about and would like to minimize any confusion by obtaining one in advance if they are the standard.

Thanks in advance!

Both types of cards are widely accepted in Australia. I did hear talk not so long ago about phasing out sign cards in the future but at the moment a cashier will normal ask, "PIN or sign?"

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Chip and pin is common and preferred.

Signature is currently accepted, but likely to be phased out shortly.

You would have no problems with a chip. A signature may be more difficult when you arrive.

I have not had any problems using my American mag stripe credit card in Australia. This was in 2012. In early 2013, I spent three weeks in SE Asia. I didn't have any problems there either.

The only place I have not been able to use a mag stripe credit card was to buy tickets for the tube in London, UK from the vending machine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

A lot more of the American banks are offering chip cards to customers with high spending histories. The chip feature is not used in North America, so they do not send chip cards to the average customer as yet.

If your card issuer offers a chip card for free, I would ask for it. But I wouldn't bother changing credit card companies over this. It's a lot more important to make sure you have a card with no foreign transaction fee.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

...The chip feature is not used in North America, so they do not send chip cards to the average customer as yet....

Chip / PIN cards (and the associated readers) are widely used in Canada as well as Europe and Australia. When we go to Europe, it is very handy to have our Canadian Chip / PIN cards. In Australia, though swipe & sign cards may still be accepted, our recent experience there has been that most merchants use the chip / PIN capability without asking our preference.

John

Chip / PIN cards (and the associated readers) are widely used in Canada ...

John

I stand corrected. I've been to Toronto three times in the last year and did not notice them using a chip reader. I guess I'm not very observant. I'm headed to Banff & Jasper for vacation next week. I'll try to get it right from now on.

My employer is starting to issue chip cards this month to the frequent international travelers. So now I won't have to use cash to buy tube ( subway) tickets in London. :-)

Both types of cards are widely accepted in Australia. I did hear talk not so long ago about phasing out sign cards in the future but at the moment a cashier will normal ask, "PIN or sign?"

In New Zealand I cannot remember the last time I was asked PIN or Sign - not sure if you can sign any more!

Here we have gone the next step with the chip cards to the facility to 'wave and pay' for transactions up to $80. Great if you are getting a coffee - just wave your chip card over the eftpos terminal and you are done!

Kiwi's have really embraced the new technology and I think 50% of the population would not even know what a cheque book is! Internet and cellphone banking is very 'hip'!

In New Zealand ... we have gone the next step with the chip cards to the facility to 'wave and pay' for transactions up to $80. Great if you are getting a coffee - just wave your chip card over the eftpos terminal and you are done!

Some of our Canadian chip / PIN cards also have the "wave & pay" proximity capability with no need to sign or enter a PIN for small transactions. I worry about the security (or lack thereof) of this system, but for better or worse this capability is now widely used here as well.

John

The chip feature is not used in North America, so they do not send chip cards to the average customer as yet.

Actually in Canada we mostly have chip and pin cards. It is getting rare to see cards that don't have chips. Also a lot of the cards also have the "wave and go" feature. With MC it's called paypass, and visa it's paywave. (at least on the cards I have).

The only place I have not been able to use a mag stripe credit card was to buy tickets for the tube in London, UK from the vending machine.

Also true for Sydney trains, you need to purchase tickets in person if you want to use a signed credit card. Chip/pin/sign/wave - it's all fairly standard in Australia, you won't have any issues. The only shock may come if attempting to use credit cards for amounts under $5, or amounts under $10, many stores won't accept card for small purchases (or will charge you a fee to process it).

In New Zealand I cannot remember the last time I was asked PIN or Sign - not sure if you can sign any more!

Here we have gone the next step with the chip cards to the facility to 'wave and pay' for transactions up to $80. Great if you are getting a coffee - just wave your chip card over the eftpos terminal and you are done!

Kiwi's have really embraced the new technology and I think 50% of the population would not even know what a cheque book is! Internet and cellphone banking is very 'hip'!

Some of our Canadian chip / PIN cards also have the "wave & pay" proximity capability with no need to sign or enter a PIN for small transactions. I worry about the security (or lack thereof) of this system, but for better or worse this capability is now widely used here as well.

John

There have been complaints with the wave and pay , that people have been charged accidentally by just walking past with the card in their pocket.

The banks have of course denied that it is possible, but facts speak for themselves , as it has happened.

The chip feature is not used in North America, so they do not send chip cards to the average customer as yet.

Actually in Canada we mostly have chip and pin cards. It is getting rare to see cards that don't have chips. Also a lot of the cards also have the "wave and go" feature. With MC it's called paypass, and visa it's paywave. (at least on the cards I have).

Yes, the same brands here.

There have been complaints with the wave and pay , that people have been charged accidentally by just walking past with the card in their pocket.

The banks have of course denied that it is possible, but facts speak for themselves , as it has happened.

I haven't heard of it happening anywhere, just speculation about whether it could happen.

Doesn't the card have to be within 10cm of the terminal? Mine doesn't go anywhere near that unless paying, so I doubt it's very likely to happen.

Thanks for all the help! Looks like it will be prudent to get a pin and chip card.

American Express is sending me one with no problem. Chase Visa claims it's a technicological challenge and only offer two-- a British Airways or a Hyatt Hotel branded cards with annual fees. I'll be looking elsewhere.

This thread also reminded me to look into foreign transaction fees. Eye opening! Since I don't want to tack an additional 3 percent onto my purchases, does anyone have a Visa card they like with no transaction fees, with pin and chip?

Thanks for all the help! Looks like it will be prudent to get a pin and chip card.

American Express is sending me one with no problem. Chase Visa claims it's a technicological challenge and only offer two-- a British Airways or a Hyatt Hotel branded cards with annual fees. I'll be looking elsewhere.

This thread also reminded me to look into foreign transaction fees. Eye opening! Since I don't want to tack an additional 3 percent onto my purchases, does anyone have a Visa card they like with no transaction fees, with pin and chip?

Andrews federal credit union offers one and it is very easy to become a member! We have found that in Canada and England if we did not have the chip and pin we could not charge.

The reason the states have not changed yet is cost I believe....

Chip and pin is the most secure also!

We have been using chip and PIN for a few years here. I feel much more secure with this technology. For the last couple of years that I had swipe and sign cards, instead of signing the back of my card I wrote ASK FOR ID. Not one clerk ever did. What were they checking when they asked to see the card?

I use capital one account with Visa credit card. My State Farm visa does not have chip card though I ask about it frequently when I tell them I am traveling out of country. Chips are a needed item now for travel out of US.

Here is a US chip card with no foreign or annual fees

https://www.sdfcu.org/creditcards

As described in this article.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-16/lifestyle/39307061_1_chip-and-pin-chip-card-new-cards

You do not need to work for the state department to open an account.

I do not agree that a chip card is required for travel. I have traveled to 34 cities in 16 countries over the last 18 months and have not had any problems with a mag stripe card, except for the London tube kiosk. But if it makes you feel better to have one, then go for it.

Visa and MC require all merchants to accept all Visa/MCs world wide. They have a web site to report any merchants not in compliance. See this FAQ section"Will my card be accepted outside the US?" http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/travel_preparation_faq.html

Also, be sure to read the section on, "What should I know about dynamic currency conversion when I travel abroad?" This is another hidden fee to avoid.:mad: Basically, you want to say No when a merchant offers to bill you in your home currency.

Archived