Renting an apartment for 2 nights in Rome cheaper & better than a hotel?

I have a hotel booked pre-cruise for 2 nights in Rome. The cost is around 130-135 euros a night, or about USD $188 per night (something like that).

Over on the Northern Europe boards, I just learned that it's cheaper to rent an apartment in Paris for 3 nights (will be doing two 2 nights post-cruise) than it is for a 2 star hotel, e.g. I've been told I could get an apartment as ~USD $100 a night (dollars, not euros).

Is it possible to do the same in Rome? And if so, why don't we hear about this option more often on hotel threads?

As long as accommodations are clean, quiet, and in a good location, I don't much care about hotel amenities. I'll have my fill of luxuries and amenities on ship.

So, what are my non-hotel options for Rome that come in less than ~130 euros a night? Is an apartment rental feasible and affordable for just 2 nights? What about bed & breakfasts? Do these exist in Rome? I know that in the U.S., we have B&Bs, but rather than being a cost saver over hotels (like B&Bs are in places like Ireland and Domatias are in Greece), B&Bs in the U.S. seem to be touted as romantic getaways that you'll pay as much for or more than a hotel room.

Someone had mentioned on another thread about Convents, but I don't recall if that was really much cheaper than a hotel. Note to self: go back to the other thread and re-read. :-)

That thread is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=984330

Thanks.

Mike

I haven't stayed at an apartment in Rome but have seen and read many good reports of others who have done so. The cost per night for a good location may not be much less than for a hotel. Some who report find the savings to be in cases where they would have needed more than one hotel room (e.g., apartments often sleep more people).

Also, many apartments I've seen in Rome have a certain minimum number of nights you must stay.

Thanks CruiseMom. Excellent advice from you as always. :-)

I too have heard about apartments having a minimum number of nights for a stay. Probably 3 in many cases, which suits me and my wife fine for Paris (post-cruise). But not for Rome where we only need 2 nights (pre-cruise).

Makes sense about apartments being a better value where there are more people traveling as a group. It's just me and my wife for this trip.

So, for Rome, I may stick with what I have. But for Paris... if I can save ~USD $88 per night for three nights, I just may try to delay my flight home for one day and have 4 nights in Paris rather than 3; or use the last day to do a long, one-day excursion to London on the Eurostar train--or to Belgium, etc. Of course trains aren't free. Wonder what a single day return ticket would cost on the EuroStar between Paris and London. Evidently, it's only a 3 hour trip one-way.

Mike

We have stayed in apartments in Paris the past two years - both for a week. Some apartments may have a week minimum. There are lots of websites with good choices. Last fall when we were in Paris we took the Eurostar over to London. The prices vary greatly, so just go to the Eurostar website and see if anything works for you. Depending on the day and time, the prices could be as low as $100 roundtrip.

In Rome we have always stayed at B&B's because we've only been there for 2 or 3 days at a time. This fall we booked through info@cross-pollinate.com and are paying 115 euros per night.

OP - go to vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner). There you will find many apartment options. We have used them several times and gotten wonderful deals and great places to stay. Lots of them will have a minimum stay requirement.

Why don't you hear more about this? I think for the same reason so many people come hear posting about tour information. They just feel more comfortable "being taken care of" and don't want to figure it out on their own. I like saving $$ and having an adventure.

I would never consider staying anywhere else while visiting Rome then at a fabulous B&B called Anne's Place. Price last I checked was about 85 Euros a night. It's about 20 minutes outside of Rome by train. Check it out at her webpage (http://www.byanne.com/ ) or on Tripadvisor.com (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g635624-d625173-Reviews-Anne_s_Place-Palestrina_Lazio.html). You just can't do any better. She will take wonderful care of you. You may find getting out of the craziness of Rome at night and staying out in the country a more authentic and peaceful experience.

There are a ton of websites where you can find just about any type of accomodation you desire for as long or as little as you desire.

VRBO is one. Cyberrentals is another. And there are numerous threads about this topic..... did you try a search ?

We have used cyberrentals to rent villas, condos etc. in quite a few places and have been very pleased. When you are looking be sure and check on the rates for "daily" rate and minumum stay. There are some with no minimums at all.... it just requires research. But of course that is half the fun...... :D

I have a hotel booked pre-cruise for 2 nights in Rome. The cost is around 130-135 euros a night, or about USD $188 per night (something like that).

Over on the Northern Europe boards, I just learned that it's cheaper to rent an apartment in Paris for 3 nights (will be doing two 2 nights post-cruise) than it is for a 2 star hotel, e.g. I've been told I could get an apartment as ~USD $100 a night (dollars, not euros).

Is it possible to do the same in Rome? And if so, why don't we hear about this option more often on hotel threads?

As long as accommodations are clean, quiet, and in a good location, I don't much care about hotel amenities. I'll have my fill of luxuries and amenities on ship.

So, what are my non-hotel options for Rome that come in less than ~130 euros a night? Is an apartment rental feasible and affordable for just 2 nights? What about bed & breakfasts? Do these exist in Rome? I know that in the U.S., we have B&Bs, but rather than being a cost saver over hotels (like B&Bs are in places like Ireland and Domatias are in Greece), B&Bs in the U.S. seem to be touted as romantic getaways that you'll pay as much for or more than a hotel room.

Someone had mentioned on another thread about Convents, but I don't recall if that was really much cheaper than a hotel. Note to self: go back to the other thread and re-read. :-)

That thread is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=984330

Thanks.

Mike

We just returned from our Med cruise and 3 days pre-cruise in Rome. We stayed in a great apartment, about a 5 min walk from Termini station. We had 3 people, but the apartment actually could have slept 6 ! It had 3 bedrooms, 2 of which were loft-like and 2 baths with showers, living room with couch and 2 chairs, TV, VCR, full kitchen with microwave and refrigerator. It was very clean and very nice. We paid 130 E per night. It was less for 2 people, or a little more for each additional person. The owner met us at the apt when we arrived and was just lovely. She had even stocked the apt with bread, butter, jam, and milk. She gave us a map and told us about things in the neighborhood.

We got this apt on www.freereservation.com, see "Casa Vacanze Roma n° 307 - Via Principe Amedeo 00185, code 201010815 " , if you would like to see the one we had. They charge only 1 E for making the reservation for you. They have many to choose from, and I will admit, I emailed quite a few to compare. Some have a minimum stay and some don't. You just have to research them, and email to ask questions, and make a reservation. We had no problems, and they were very prompt in responding. We just had to put down a deposit of less than one night, and it was refundable, by a certain date.

I would definitely recommend them. It was a very pleasant experience. I have also used www.vrbo.com before and have rented an apt in Paris. You should give it a try.

Have a nice vacation/cruise ! :)

In our experiences renting apartments short term, usually there is a minimum number of 3 or 4 days.

It is very nice however being able to have a "home" for a few days. Slowtrav.com has a lot of apartment reviews and advice that may be helpful to you.

We rented an apartment in Rome....the website said 3 night miminum but we were only staying 2. It was fine, because they didn't have some booked so they prefered having it rented for 2 nights than none. Try to stay in a central location, much easier for siteseeing and going back to a rest when you need to.

We rented an apartment in Trastavere through VRBO in Rome and enjoyed being closer to the local people. The disadvantage is that there are no staff around to advise you, so it is more difficult if it is your first visit. We stayed was in a very old building, but our apartment had been remodeled, so we had no problems with hot water, etc. We had to make a non-refundable deposit ahead of time and pay in full in Euros upon arrival. Our host was willing to provide a coffee pot and hair dryer and also gave us a bottle of Chianti for our anniversary. The owners are pretty accommodating, possibly even more so now with the economy the way it is.

We've rented a luxury apartment by the Spanish Steps that we found through Trip Adviser for our upcoming stay in Rome (apartment rentals is something new added to their site). We'd considered VRBO, but had concerns about dealing with someone who 'claims' to be an owner. In all likelihood they are, but it was just something we didn't want to worry about. Our rental was arranged through a management company, Italy Perfect.

We're traveling with friends. With the problems of jet-lag, having a living room where we can get together when awake sounds better than all of us sitting in our individual hotel rooms wondering if anyone else is awake. We'll be able to retreat to our bedrooms when we want privacy, but have the extra space of a living room too.

Cost wise, each couple is paying about the same as we'd pay for a moderate hotel room in a lesser area of Rome. However, we have the extra space of an apartment - complete with a kitchen (we'll only use it for breakfast ;) ) and a washer/dryer. We're glad that we won't be boarding the ship with a lot of dirty laundry.

We've rented a luxury apartment by the Spanish Steps that we found through Trip Adviser for our upcoming stay in Rome (apartment rentals is something new added to their site). We'd considered VRBO, but had concerns about dealing with someone who 'claims' to be an owner. In all likelihood they are, but it was just something we didn't want to worry about. Our rental was arranged through a management company, Italy Perfect.

We're traveling with friends. With the problems of jet-lag, having a living room where we can get together when awake sounds better than all of us sitting in our individual hotel rooms wondering if anyone else is awake. We'll be able to retreat to our bedrooms when we want privacy, but have the extra space of a living room too.

Cost wise, each couple is paying about the same as we'd pay for a moderate hotel room in a lesser area of Rome. However, we have the extra space of an apartment - complete with a kitchen (we'll only use it for breakfast ;) ) and a washer/dryer. We're glad that we won't be boarding the ship with a lot of dirty laundry.

Mary Ellen...what's the name of the apt. and what is the cost?

We also will be travelling with 2 relatives and this sounds like a good option for our cruise in October.

Thanks.

Trudy

I will try and never stay in a hotel again.

We have a FANTASTIC apartment in Rome. It was in a get area in Camp de Fiori . The place was clean neat , the owners were pleasurer to deal with. We use sleep in italy.com. But go to the slowtravel website you will see a large number of reviews on apartment in Rome. If you would like I can email pictures of the 2 bedroom apartment that we had. The apartment next door was a one bedroom. If you go to their site you will see many options. I felt like we were getting more of the local culture staying in the apartment. I highly recommend it. You have more room as well.

Just be careful of the ones that want an up front Security or Cleaning deposit. When I see they want a $500 or $1000 deposit, I quickly move on. There are plenty that don't require that or only $50 to $100.

I just rented from VRBO and it was great. We had an absolutely beautiful 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. There are so many to choose from.

Trudy - We've rented the 'Valentina' through Italy Perfect. It is a 3-br, 3-ba apartment. One of the reasons we decided to go with Italy Perfect was that they only handle non-smoking apartments. On VRBO we saw a number that either did allow smoking or didn't say (and of course some did say non-smoking). This may not be important to everyone, but it was a requirement for our group.

Now, as to October availability - some of that month is ours. :D

I will try and never stay in a hotel again.

We have a FANTASTIC apartment in Rome. It was in a get area in Camp de Fiori . The place was clean neat , the owners were pleasurer to deal with. We use sleep in italy.com. But go to the slowtravel website you will see a large number of reviews on apartment in Rome. If you would like I can email pictures of the 2 bedroom apartment that we had. The apartment next door was a one bedroom. If you go to their site you will see many options. I felt like we were getting more of the local culture staying in the apartment. I highly recommend it. You have more room as well.

I have always stayed in a hotel in Rome (most apartments don't make financial sense for a single traveler), and I'm just curious how you felt you were getting more local culture by staying in an apartment? :confused: Even those who stay in hotels for significant amounts of time usually have to find grocery stores, do laundry, ride buses/subways, and interact with local people...

I have to somewhat agree with tcocktail..... when staying in a hotel MOST people do not need a grocery store as they eat in restaurants. When renting an apt/condo you have at least a partial kitchen if not a full one..... and I know we always have breakfast in, sometimes lunch and then usually eat dinner out (it IS my vacation :D) Perhaps not as much in Rome as some other places - but apartments are usually located in more "neighborhood" type areas.....of course it is all smooshed together in historic Rome area..... I have to admit I have never done wash while staying in a hotel either.

When recently perusing Cyberrentals for Rome apts for our NEXT visit, I came across a few "studio" or efficiency type ones in Rome with really really good prices...... perfect for a single traveler. You can really save on meal costs too.

I have to somewhat agree with tcocktail..... when staying in a hotel MOST people do not need a grocery store as they eat in restaurants. When renting an apt/condo you have at least a partial kitchen if not a full one..... and I know we always have breakfast in, sometimes lunch and then usually eat dinner out (it IS my vacation :D) Perhaps not as much in Rome as some other places - but apartments are usually located in more "neighborhood" type areas.....of course it is all smooshed together in historic Rome area..... I have to admit I have never done wash while staying in a hotel either.

When recently perusing Cyberrentals for Rome apts for our NEXT visit, I came across a few "studio" or efficiency type ones in Rome with really really good prices...... perfect for a single traveler. You can really save on meal costs too.

For a longer visit I would definitely try an apartment, but I would not want to be out of the Centro Storico, so I doubt it would be much different for me. One day I hope to spend a month or so each year in Rome. And for now, I enjoy the local food too much to contemplate doing much cooking in Rome. It's a highlight of my visit. :D

As it is, I do stop in groceries for ingredients for an alfresco lunch or for a supper in my hotel room. Around the corner from my hotel last November was a wonderful small food store where I could buy fresh-made lasagna (different each day), a little salad, a small baguette, and a half-bottle of wine all for about $16.

For a longer visit I would definitely try an apartment, but I would not want to be out of the Centro Storico

We too like to stay in the heart of things. One "efficiency" place I found was in the Piazza della Minerva right behind the Pantheon. There is a gorgeous hotel there too - so nice area. We were all over this area - many times as we stayed at the Albergo del Senato. Near all the sites.

One day I hope to spend a month or so each year in Rome. And for now, I enjoy the local food too much to contemplate doing much cooking in Rome. It's a highlight of my visit. :D

We too have fallen hopelessly in love with Rome. Even have looked at the possibility of a small flat there. Mind you..... I said SMALL as they are $$$$$$. The food is definately a highlight, but I do like to have my coffee and danish in my pajamas each morning so that is nice.

For now we are looking at 3 weeks next year (Sept 2010 is our 30th anniversary) beginning in Venice and working our way down to Amalfi coast or perhaps even Sicily.

I have always stayed in a hotel in Rome (most apartments don't make financial sense for a single traveler), and I'm just curious how you felt you were getting more local culture by staying in an apartment? :confused: Even those who stay in hotels for significant amounts of time usually have to find grocery stores, do laundry, ride buses/subways, and interact with local people...

If you are staying in a hotel especially in Europe I have found they will do a greta job on laundry. I would think that staying in a hotel that you will eat out and mostly in tourist spots. In an aprtment you are among the locals, in my case I got to talk with them, they gave me tips on where to go and how to get there. We experience the use of the apartment. I made a small breakfast in the morning so we used the stove and oven that are different there then in the USA. some small things. There is just a better feel that you are not a tourist. We went to the market to buy food that they local go to. I am sure if I stayed in anapartment that I would not have done that. You interact more with the locals and here what they had to say vs listening to hotel personal to what they are told to say. I just love staying in the apartment.

I found this site to have the best photo's of the apartments, giving a lot of detail. I then used google earth or maps to locate the apartment.

http://www.rentalinrome.com/

Have to watch for number of actual bedrooms and bathrooms, a lot say sleeps 6 but only one bedroom......

When you find a place you like, then you can google the name of it, and find it at other rental sites. I found a great savings by renting in August, it was half the price all month.

If you are staying in a hotel especially in Europe I have found they will do a greta job on laundry. I would think that staying in a hotel that you will eat out and mostly in tourist spots. In an aprtment you are among the locals, in my case I got to talk with them, they gave me tips on where to go and how to get there. We experience the use of the apartment. I made a small breakfast in the morning so we used the stove and oven that are different there then in the USA. some small things. There is just a better feel that you are not a tourist. We went to the market to buy food that they local go to. I am sure if I stayed in anapartment that I would not have done that. You interact more with the locals and here what they had to say vs listening to hotel personal to what they are told to say. I just love staying in the apartment.

I guess I just do those things naturally... I try to shop in local markets and eat in restaurants that have a good local reputation (I often go armed with suggestions from the Slow Travel website). I never eat meals in the hotel I'm staying at, with the exception of breakfast.

Archived