Update - Just returned from Alaska cruise

petlover

I had originally posted in a panic if our dog sledding in Juneau was cancelled or we had bad weather (it had shown rain every day prior to leaving Seattle) so wanted to post an update of our trip after returning Saturday, July 12th.

We were lucky in Juneau. ALL the Princess booked dog sledding tours to Mendenhall were cancelled due to low cloud coverage. I was so happy that I had booked our glacier dog sledding (birthday celebration for our oldest 8 year old Grandson) independently with Coastal Helicopters to Herbert Glacier. It was such a highlight for the 3 of us and really worth the $. Besides being less expensive than the Princess tour, it was NOT cancelled. Since we have been to both glaciers, I can honestly say I couldn't have told the difference. The helicopter ride to the glacier is so scenic even before you land on the glacier. Our guide was fabulous and seeing the young dogs (not quite newborn puppies, more like 3 month old pups) was such an added treat. It was definitely an A++. I felt so sorry for those who were so disappointed when the Princess dog sledding to Mendenhall was cancelled. I suppose the reverse could have happened, the weather Gods were with us!

Some of our travel friends went on a whale watching trip in Juneau through Harv and Marv's. They raved and said it was the best of all of the 3 whale watching trips they had done on previous trips to Alaska.

In Skagway, we booked the dog sledding on land (wheeled carts pulled by 16 dogs). This was so fun and both the adults and young grand kids loved it. I booked this independently with Alaskatours instead of with Princess because Princess wasn't going to allow our 21 month old Grandson to go. Interesting enough, Alaskatours had no age restriction. After experiencing this excursion can't imagine why Princess has this age restriction ? it must be something to do with their insurance or ??? It is 100% suitable for toddlers and saw others arriving with kids even younger than ours. Here we saw and held new born pups. So fun!

In Ketchikan we did the bear watching via float plane to Anan Wildlife Observatory. After reading rave reviews, I booked this independently through "Family Air" and it was another A++. We saw so many bears catching lots of salmon. Another once in a lifetime experience. I was originally concerned due to only having 1/2 day in Ketchikan. No reason to have worried as we had plenty of time to see many many bears and eagles and back in plenty of time to get back onboard.

Cruising Glacier Bay was breathtaking. It was the most perfect day without a cloud in the sky. Just gorgeous!

To any of you planning a trip to Alaska, I hope this is helpful. Wishing everyone a fabulous time to the prettiest state !

Adding: In Victoria, BC we had a private driver and visited Butchart Gardens....WOW. What a beautiful place and worth the price of admission. Victoria is a lovely, clean, quaint city. We loved it there. If possible don't miss seeing Butchart Gardens.

Edited by petlover

Glad you had a successful trip and thank you for the trip report. I know it has helped me plan my excursions better. You were indeed very lucky both for dog sledding and seeing so many bears. I've been reading how bear seeing is very iffy and they are never guaranteed and you have to be very lucky to see them let them watch them hunt salmon.

Marcie,

I remember your post. But..as you found out....Alaska weather can change fairly quickly! I've experienced two blue sky days in Glacier Bay..wow..words or photos can't do it justice! Sure happy for you that you had such a wonderful cruise.

glad to hear that the dog sledding excursion was such a hit!! You were very worried about it being cancelled, but it sounds like all your plans were a hit.

You visited Anan during the peak viewing period ... were there brown bears as well as black ? and how much time was spent at the viewing platforms?

These are a sampling of what we saw during our approximately 2 hours actually on the platform bear watching (we allowed 30 minutes each way walking to and from the platform from where the float plane lands)

https://picasaweb.google.com/petlovermarcie/MiscBearPix?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKXM3pqhz4mbUA&feat=directlink

and here are a few misc. from the dog sledding on Herbert Glacier:

https://picasaweb.google.com/petlovermarcie/MiscDogSleddingHerbertGlacier?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOao2cnclJCRwQE&feat=directlink

I've never posted photos on cruisecritic so hope this works.

Edited by petlover

Awesome pictures! So glad you were able to take your grandson on the dogsled tour. We have Anan booked for next year with Island Wings. I almost booked Family Air but they didn't have a guide with them. Were you worried walking to the viewing area alone?

Great pictures and so happy you had such wonderful weather! I was disappointed when our dogsled on the glacier tour was cancelled (although felt good about getting the money back!). The bears were incredible. The one next to the railing would have freaked me out! I guess they were more concerned with eating salmon, that's reassuring.

I'm crossing my fingers for a sunny day in Glacier Bay in a week. Our last time it was raining hard and gloomy the entire day. The time prior it was misting, but the sun came out in spurts. Either way, it is still a stunning bay for sure.

Awesome pictures! So glad you were able to take your grandson on the dogsled tour. We have Anan booked for next year with Island Wings. I almost booked Family Air but they didn't have a guide with them. Were you worried walking to the viewing area alone?

No, not at all. There's a Ranger close to where the Float plane lands who gets you started. It's an ez designated path, impossible to get lost and nothing steep or strenuous. When you arrive at the platform there's a Ranger there as well who welcomed us (we were the only ones there for the first hour). The Ranger will answer any questions and kind of knows the individual bears in the "hood". We walked down to the lower level as well but actually had more sightings from the top.

We allowed 30 minutes both ways but we casually strolled, stopping to look at eagles, birds and the wooded foliage and photo ops. We didn't see our first bear until arriving at the platform. If we walked at a normal pace it's only about 15-20 minute walk.

BTW, there's a little outhouse potty...they don't want you to just walk out when you're done. When you're finished you wave your hand through a hole in the door. The spotter gives you a thumbs up (my husband was mine) so you know you're safe to walk out without a bear encounter.

No, not at all. There's a Ranger close to where the Float plane lands who gets you started. It's an ez designated path, impossible to get lost and nothing steep or strenuous. When you arrive at the platform there's a Ranger there as well who welcomed us (we were the only ones there for the first hour). The Ranger will answer any questions and kind of knows the individual bears in the "hood". We walked down to the lower level as well but actually had more sightings from the top.

We allowed 30 minutes both ways but we casually strolled, stopping to look at eagles, birds and the wooded foliage and photo ops. We didn't see our first bear until arriving at the platform. If we walked at a normal pace it's only about 15-20 minute walk.

BTW, there's a little outhouse potty...they don't want you to just walk out when you're done. When you're finished you wave your hand through a hole in the door. The spotter gives you a thumbs up (my husband was mine) so you know you're safe to walk out without a bear encounter.

There's a you tube video of a woman who is stuck in there for awhile while a few bears are roaming around outside. Check it out if you get a chance.

Glad you loved the dog sledding on the Herbert....It was a wise decision....Because of the way their camp was situated they don't get "weathered in" as much as the other glaciers...Outside of that, you had the most experienced crew of all other glacier trips.....and the most well organized....In fact, that is the only outfit that I will let my dogs go for their summer vacation....:) Sebastian does an outstanding job and it is a beautiful little piece of heaven....Who was your guide there?

PS....If you want to see pictures of Salt and Pepper look up Sebastian Schnuelle Facebook.....it is an open Facebook and he is always posting pictures of the glaciers....Perhaps your grandchildren would like to look at it too....and did you see the Skunk Monkey?