Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Hi there! I'm taking my first solo cruise on the May 30th sailing of the Carnival Glory. I booked it as a Christmas/Birthday present to myself. I love to cruise 2-3 times a year and had no one to join me this time, so I bit the bullet.

I'm so excited to be able to do what I want when I want and to have an entire cabin to myself - just don't tell the hubs that last part!

Still trying to decide on which dinner option to pick. I usually select YTD when traveling with others, but I think I'd like regular tablemates for this cruise. Decisions, decisions...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm heading out on my 1st solo cruise January 31st, a B2B on RCCL Jewel out of San Juan. I was in the situation as you, my usual cruise buddies (daughter, sisters, hubby) were not able to make the trip. I am afraid I will enjoy the freedom of having the entire cabin to myself so much, I'll want one even if sailing with family.

I have found plans for the ports a bit more challenging, as I am having second thoughts about venturing out on my own in some of the locations. I've booked a couple ship excursions, and have joined a couple from the roll call, but still have some places where I haven't firmed up plans.

I agree with others that said you will probably enjoy the dinner experience more if you pick fixed dining. Of course, if you just show up for YTD, and ask to be seated at a large table, you will probably have a great time also!

Having done Carnival as a solo a few times I would suggest Traditional Dining. If the first night doesn't work out, ask to be moved. It may take a couple nights but I have always ended up with people that I enjoyed dining with for the rest of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this feedback. That seems to be the direction I'm headed in. I'm just a bit anxious, as I've only had traditional dining on one out of maybe 12 cruises so far.

I'm glad to know that I can change tables, if need be.

I just booked the Queen Victoria for New Year's Eve. Decided that I wasn't going to be at the mercy of other people and whether or not they will include me in their plans. So, I took matters into my own hands and was awarded for this decision. I booked the cheapest cabin and was upgraded the next day to a balcony!

Nice! That's a great upgrade! NYE at sea sounds awesome. My husband and I were booked on a NYE cruise last year but cancelled it for an earlier cruise with all new ports for us.

I really want to sail over Christmas but can't convince anyone to join me. But I can't leave the hubs behind for that one. I'd feel terrible!

I'm heading out on my 1st solo cruise January 31st, a B2B on RCCL Jewel out of San Juan. I was in the situation as you, my usual cruise buddies (daughter, sisters, hubby) were not able to make the trip. I am afraid I will enjoy the freedom of having the entire cabin to myself so much, I'll want one even if sailing with family.

I have found plans for the ports a bit more challenging, as I am having second thoughts about venturing out on my own in some of the locations. I've booked a couple ship excursions, and have joined a couple from the roll call, but still have some places where I haven't firmed up plans.

I agree with others that said you will probably enjoy the dinner experience more if you pick fixed dining. Of course, if you just show up for YTD, and ask to be seated at a large table, you will probably have a great time also!

I'm getting so excited about sailing solo that I might ask my husband NOT to join me on the cruise we've booked for next January. Lol!

My toughest port to figure out has been St. Thomas. A former colleague of mine lives there, though. I plan to email her to get some suggestions on safe things for a solo female traveler to do. None of the tour options really interest me; but I don't want to rely on cabs and end up riding alone. Just a preference.

I just booked the Queen Victoria for New Year's Eve. Decided that I wasn't going to be at the mercy of other people and whether or not they will include me in their plans. So, I took matters into my own hands and was awarded for this decision. I booked the cheapest cabin and was upgraded the next day to a balcony!

I have always booked the cheapest cabin, because I know that's the place I'll be spending the least amount of time. So you are booked for 12/31/2015, right? :-)

PNWSon, I really like a balcony. It is part of journey for me but I didn't want to wander the cities solo, so I will need to pay for excursions. But, now, I can do both!

Twin A, yeah, best to be with hubby over Christmas. He must be a good sport!

Getaway on April 4th. How did you find the room? Did you feel cramped?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not at all. It was cozy. The only place where I felt cramped was the toilet. (Just keep the door open LOL. )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Im doing a week on the MSC Divina departing Rome on the 23rd May 2015

And later in the year Im doing an 10 day Alaska trip on the Norwegian Jewel departing Seattle on the 19th September.

Im in my late 50's and I have 5 children and 5 grandchildren.

It would be nice to meet up with some fellow travellers :)

Hi there fellow cruisers!

I am close to booking the 7-day Eastern Caribbean on Getaway departing July 18th. Will try the solo cabins.

Any other solo cruisers already on this cruise, or thinking of booking?

This is my second time cruising solo, did the RCCL Allure of the Seas last year. Didn't find any other solo cruisers there though (unfortunately I missed the first night solo get-together, beeing a rookie and all I was too late to notice it in the schedule so I guess I can only blame myself) ;)

Haven't tried any of the NCL boats before. I'll choose the Getaway because of the solo cabins with separate lounge and organized activities for solo's - and because I want to go back to the Caribbean :cool:

It's a shame RCCL doesn't put a little more effort into solos. Even just fifteen minutes of a cruise director gathering/identifying solos at the meetings would help. When I went to the solo gathering on RCCL, I couldn't tell the difference between the afternoon drinkers and the solos, so I waited a half hour and left.

It's a shame RCCL doesn't put a little more effort into solos. Even just fifteen minutes of a cruise director gathering/identifying solos at the meetings would help. When I went to the solo gathering on RCCL, I couldn't tell the difference between the afternoon drinkers and the solos, so I waited a half hour and left.

I agree with you on that. I've been on RC in the past and it would be a little nicer if we could identify the solo's when we first set sail.

I had the exact same experience. Besides the afternoon drinkers there were early arrivals for trivia!

C'mon RCCL- just a bit better planning.

Hi there fellow cruisers!

I am close to booking the 7-day Eastern Caribbean on Getaway departing July 18th. Will try the solo cabins.

Any other solo cruisers already on this cruise, or thinking of booking?

This is my second time cruising solo, did the RCCL Allure of the Seas last year. Didn't find any other solo cruisers there though (unfortunately I missed the first night solo get-together, beeing a rookie and all I was too late to notice it in the schedule so I guess I can only blame myself) ;)

Haven't tried any of the NCL boats before. I'll choose the Getaway because of the solo cabins with separate lounge and organized activities for solo's - and because I want to go back to the Caribbean :cool:

Hi,

I'm doing the Getaway on April 4, 2015 in a studio cabin. Very much looking forward to it. I can let you know how it goes.