Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I just came back from one of those "Hosted "Single Cruises on the Getaway.This was my first and last time on a "hosted"single cruise. I don't know but it may be just me. All I got out of this is cheesy afternoon games. For instance,battle of the sexes,stupid trivia questions and LOTS of bar hopping. In my experience, I found some folks to be superficial,phony and not friendly. After the third day out of 7 days I ditched the group and did my own thing. I didn't think I could do it because I'm so introverted that's why booked a singles cruise.I proved otherwise.

I liked the Getaway so much I booked a balcony cabin for March 5,2016 on the Escape.Even though I don't have access to the studio lounge, I plan on stopping by at 5 or 6pm. Please note...this my opinion and some people who may have taken a "Hosted" Single Cruise may have had a wonderful experience.

Hi,

I'm doing the Getaway on April 4, 2015 in a studio cabin. Very much looking forward to it. I can let you know how it goes.

Please do! Will be interesting to hear about your experiences.

Hope you'll have a great time :)

Once, on the Epic, I saw a hosted singles group. You wore beads around your neck with your name![emoji16]everyone was trying so hard. I was glad I didn't join up beforehand. I guess it works for some, but I understand what you are saying. By the way, on the Getaway, I went to guest services, told them I was upgraded from a studio, asked if my card could be coded for entrance to the lounge, and it was no problem! The solo gathering was held in the sunset bar mostly, so I went only once to the lounge. After all of that, I never joined the group cuz I had purchased UDP and they always wanted MDR.

Like I said, IMHO, and from what I observed, hosted groups try too hard. What I like about the studio lounge is that you can form an eclectic group, like I've done previously, for dinner, excursions etc. without the pressure of trying yo impress someone. Our dinner group had a 78 yr old woman, a 55 yr old widow, a 47 yr old single guy, a 40 yr old gay guy from Canada, and a 38 yr old Matthew mcCoughnahay who was looking for a love connection. We dined in specialities every night and went our separate ways on excursions. I play words with friends with two of them, three years later![emoji41]

Once, on the Epic, I saw a hosted singles group. You wore beads around your neck with your name![emoji16]everyone was trying so hard. I was glad I didn't join up beforehand. I guess it works for some, but I understand what you are saying. By the way, on the Getaway, I went to guest services, told them I was upgraded from a studio, asked if my card could be coded for entrance to the lounge, and it was no problem! The solo gathering was held in the sunset bar mostly, so I went only once to the lounge. After all of that, I never joined the group cuz I had purchased UDP and they always wanted MDR.

Hi, I booked my cruise through AMEX and I asked the agent could i have access to the SL he called Norwegian and told me the key cards are coded for studios only.I will take your suggestion and go to guest service. I remembered reading the freestyle daily and on a couple of days the solo gatherings were held in the Sunset bar,strangely I didn't see anyone nor did I see the coordinator.

I cruised the Getaway on 2/14. The group in the Sunset Bar totaled 10-15 and was easy to spot. Def go to guest services. Even if they don't recode your card, the doors open during the evening get togethers.

I was on the Breakaway in December and the Getaway in February. I had a studio on the Breakaway but not on the Getaway and I did not find the studio lounge to be occupied by many people except during the evening get together. On the Getaway we met in the Sunset lounge which I did not think was as good an idea and I told the coordinator. She told me they would be changing it back to the studio lounge in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Fellow solo cruisers!

For my next solo cruise I am embarking on my first Med cruise on 25 April 2015 on the NCL Spirit; it is a 12 day cruise from Barcelona to Venice.

There are 2 of us solo cruisers going but would love to meet up with other solo cruisers, if you would like. The more the merrier. :)

Anyone else going?

Happy and safe cruising all!! :D

I recently booked the 2 night cruise on Allure of the Seas, departing Nov. 6th from Fort Lauderdale. I live 2 1/2 hours from the port so it will be a weekend getaway for me. It goes to Nassau and back. I've been there multiple times, so I may not even get off the ship. Going mainly to enjoy the ship's amenities for the weekend.

I just came back from one of those "Hosted "Single Cruises on the Getaway.This was my first and last time on a "hosted"single cruise. I don't know but it may be just me. All I got out of this is cheesy afternoon games. For instance,battle of the sexes,stupid trivia questions and LOTS of bar hopping. In my experience, I found some folks to be superficial,phony and not friendly. After the third day out of 7 days I ditched the group and did my own thing. I didn't think I could do it because I'm so introverted that's why booked a singles cruise.I proved otherwise.

I liked the Getaway so much I booked a balcony cabin for March 5,2016 on the Escape.Even though I don't have access to the studio lounge, I plan on stopping by at 5 or 6pm. Please note...this my opinion and some people who may have taken a "Hosted" Single Cruise may have had a wonderful experience.

Funny I should come across your post at this time. I was thinking of taking a hosted cruise in October for Halloween if I can get time off from work. I was concerned about it being a 'forced fun' atmosphere or a 'meat market' with a good majority of people drinking and trying to pick each other up. I'm a woman in my mid 40's, a bit on the quiet side and that is NOT the atmosphere I was looking for. While there's nothing wrong with it, I just don't care for it.

Maybe i'll stick to my original plan which is to just sail solo on RC which is what I've been doing.

Thanks for the info....

I booked NCL Jade - Venice to Venice - May 9-16 Adriatic Cruise. Very excited!

First time cruising alone so I am a bit nervous. Only went on one previous cruise which was a 3 day Bahamas one and that was only because it was part of a destination wedding package of a friend of a friend who was getting married in the Bahamas. I was so busy with doing wedding stuff that i didn't really get to enjoy anything about the cruise. So I feel like this will be my first real cruise experience.

I enjoy learning about ancient history so seeing all these historical sites in Turkey and Greece is right up my alley!

I will be on the Getaway April 11, 2015. I will be traveling with my parents, whom are retired and pretty low key. I am a 30 something female and will be on my own a lot. This is my first cruise ever and I am really looking forward to it!

I hope to meet some fun people and maybe be able to have fun with some new friends.

I will be on rhapsody of the seas doing a solo cruise in Greece on the July 19 departure (after spending 16 days in Italy with a friend). Unfortunately, she needs to go back to work so I will be cruising alone. I would love to connect with anyone else cruising solo on this trip.

Edited by denatravels

First solo cruise on NCL Getaway 7/18/15!!! Staying in a studio room. Also first NCL cruise with a second booked in November with family. Anyone have any suggestions/comments/tips for solo cruising in general or specific to the Getaway?

Beth

So, I just booked the Carnival Freedom for June 20 out of Galveston. I'm going with my 16-year-old son, but he will be plenty busy with Club O2 and probably not hanging out much with me on ship. So I expect I will get quite a taste of the solo cruising experience even though I'm not officially alone!!

First solo cruise on NCL Getaway 7/18/15!!! Staying in a studio room. Also first NCL cruise with a second booked in November with family. Anyone have any suggestions/comments/tips for solo cruising in general or specific to the Getaway?

Beth

Yes, particpate in the solo gatherings especially the first few days, attend the music venues and also- if you do want to reserve any shows- do them later in the evening so not to interfere with dinner. Also, if doing something like the Illusianarioum (pardon my spelling lol) I would book it for the last night as it is possible others you met will attend as well

I was actually looking for an Alaska cruise but the price quotes I got for May and June out of Vancouver are crazy high.

I got an obstructed OV on this cruise for $1,066.20 with $50 obc. Pacific Coastal cruise here I come. Faith

Hi!

Have booked the Epic on the 19th July, sailing out of Barcelona! So far i am the only one on the roll call!......really hoping it doesn't stay that way! Going solo for the first time so hoping to meet up with some others in the studio lounge :D anyone else on this cruise???